Movies You've Seen Recently

Tale

What's wrong with Rami? I know he can be a little weird so he doesn't fit all projects (who does), but seems like it's popular to dislike him these days...I figured because some people didn't like his Spiderman.

As to Colin Farrell ... I don't get their attitude towards him in that article. Have they not seen In Bruges? It's not like he's a crap actor. Not the best, but not crap either.

As to a Warcraft movie in general....meh. I wouldn't hold my breath re:quality, no matter who's involved.

Isn't that just the thing? I mean... a Warcraft movie.

Dunno how they'd do that. If they intend to take the story more off the original games (which is to say, Orcs vs. Humans) or something more in the flavor of what World of Warcraft is now?

If they know what's good for them, they'll include a Pandaren character.

But either way... it's harder and harder for me to feel anticipation for movies.

Latest I've seen is the new Riddick movie, which was fine, Vin Diesel's great and all, but there was some stuff I felt that was missing from the rest of it. It was still much better than I was expecting it to be though.

But it's kind of indicative of a lot of movies these days, especially in these kind of genres. Some movies in spite of glaring flaws can be great just because they were well-made on a variety of levels, but you see a lot now that just seem... kind of dialed in... like they don't even know how to really make movies and just hope to bank on the brand name attracting people to the theatre, hashing in enough good stuff so it won't die right away, and hoping to cash in on the opening box office... rather than figuring out how to make something that's good as a film and will be something people actually want to see and spend money on in a bigger way. I mean they all want the franchises, and if they did it this way, you'd have a lot more successful ones, and a lot more that are able to go in new directions and maintain momentum rather than starting off great and then crumbling with each installment (Pirates of the Caribbean is a great example of this).

They play it safe too much, but then again, I suppose they have to. When you have hundreds of millions of dollars in a project, you want something you feel will bring that back and profit... though, with their methods, I think there's a lot more of a risk of striking a huge loss... partially due to going after the big budget stuff and bloating the movie with garbage... making it two and a half hours of crappy action and special effects and then BAM it goes down... which is what a lot of the criticism I've seen levelled at the Long Ranger has been, a movie that probably could have been much more successful if didn't have a 200+ million budget going against it, was a much better, streamlined movie in general and not just banking on Johnny Depp to get people in the seats.

But it seems things are just set to keep in this way.

Kick Ass 2. Not as good as the first, but I enjoyed it. I know Mark Millar is hoping a 3rd gets made based on his 3rd series to cap off a trilogy. They are cheap movies to make so maybe...

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Dunno how they'd do that. If they intend to take the story more off the original games (which is to say, Orcs vs. Humans) or something more in the flavor of what World of Warcraft is now?

Supposedly the script is based on the novel Warcraft: The Last Guardian

Latest I've seen is the new Riddick movie, which was fine, Vin Diesel's great and all, but there was some stuff I felt that was missing from the rest of it. It was still much better than I was expecting it to be though.

It was a labor of love for Twohey and Diesel. They also had to radically alter their plans since Universal wasn't keen to move forward with the second CHRONICLES film which meant a substantially reduced budget.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Source? Because I hadn't heard that and that book is awful.

Source? Because I hadn't heard that and that book is awful.

Again I said "supposedly" as plot descriptions from this article -

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/07/31/scoop-everything-we-know-about-duncan-jones-warcraft-film/

- has led people to think the story if based on the book.

Knowing next to nothing about Warcraft books or games, I can only report the speculation

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Again I said "supposedly" as plot descriptions from this article -

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/07/31/scoop-everything-we-know-about-duncan-jones-warcraft-film/

- has led people to think the story if based on the book.

Knowing next to nothing about Warcraft books or games, I can only report the speculation

To be fair, Rich Johnston does pull a good bit of "speculation" out his ass.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Well I think its Brendan Connelly writing the article (the head movie writer for BC) and not that he's always wrong, but I think Rich's contacts in the comic world seem stronger than Brendan's in the movie world.

That said, that's the most speculation I've seen on it, thus "supposedly".

I still laugh about HOUSE OF THE DEAD. That was a so bad its good film.

Sadly ALONE IN THE DARK went past "so bad its good" and was just bad...

Secret World of Arietty. Joined the Disney Movie club so I snagged a bunch of Ghibli films because they expensive. Would have grabbed more than that and Totoro, but the wife wanted to grab some $10 Handy Manny dvds for the little one instead of $35 blue rays at the 40 cent price.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I (sorta) watched a 2012 Asylum movie called "Rise of the Zombies." The fact it's an Asylum movie should tell you enough, but the reason I (sorta) watched it was because: one, it's set in San Francisco Bay+Alcatraz and I'm often curious about films set in places that are local to me, and two, it had ... LeVar Burton. Geordi. Kunta Kinte. Reading Rainbow guy. However you know him.

...it was amusing to watch him scream as he voluntarily cut out a chunk of his own arm flesh to feed to a locked up beloved-turned-into-zombie (as a zombie-study test), but...I think LeVar must have owed someone a favor, or he really needed to pay off some debt or buy a new toy or something.

But the brief bit on Lombard St. was bad-funny, and the fly-by scenes of Golden Gate and Alcatraz were pretty! :biggrin:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Wait. How the hell did Alcatraz get overrun?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Only God Forgives... Didn't liked it. Way too over the top artsy. Drive was a damn great movie, but this one... it's just trying way too hard.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Re-watching Survivorman. Sat and watched the whole first disc of season 1 last night. Sure makes me appreciate all the wonderful conveniences of having a roof over my head and food, water, toilet and bed readily available.

" Drive was a damn great movie, "

No, not it wasn't. It was watchable. Mulligan and the main bad guy were good. But, Golsing wa sboring while trying his quiet tough guy routine.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Drive was an ok movie and I can kinda get why some might really like it, but yeah....I'm in the "it and Gosling wasn't that awesome" camp. I think hubby said it was "ok" ... altho that tends to be his standard answer for everything. :lol:

Re-watching Survivorman. Sat and watched the whole first disc of season 1 last night. Sure makes me appreciate all the wonderful conveniences of having a roof over my head and food, water, toilet and bed readily available.

We loved that show...I have that disc as well. :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts