Movies You've Seen Recently

Tale

watched The Town again, and I think it's now my second favorite movie about bank robbers (The Heat can never be moved from the first spot). I never really liked Affleck as an actor, but his directorial work continues to impress me. and he's not bad in The Town playing this (mostly) cool-headed Irish gangster. eh, the whole cast is terrific.

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Some How to Train Your Dragon Xmas 20-minute short, from a while ago. I know some people dislike the original movie because of "what it turns dragons into" but I don't care. Toothless is awesome.

Toothless-0063a.jpg

Toothless-0065a.jpg

Oh and the Xmas short? It was cute. Not as decent as the film of course, but good for kids I suppose and it had a lot of Toothless in it, so that was all I cared about. :p

I've got that, not yet gotten around to watch it.

Anyone know if the TV series (Dragon Riders of Berk, IIRC?) is any good?

Anyhow, I wished I'd seen How to Train Your Dragon in 3D for the final sequence/fight (probably the only film during the modern 3D push that had a sequence I wished I'd actually seen in 3D).

For my part, I watched Insidious Chapter 2. Noisy crowd was a bit annoying, lots of little chatter even if they jumped and screamed at the scary bits. Thought they did some pretty good stuff fleshing out story from the first with a bunch of different elements. There are things to quibble about (like how the one kid got to sleep so fast at one crucial point) but overall I thought it was good and think they've left some stuff open to explore without rehashing this same story (so they can move past this family and James Wan not returning without problem, if they want to - and this weekend's box office pretty much guarantees they will).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Tropa De Elite 1 & 2

Movies about the special forces operating in Rio de Janeiro. What makes them stand out from other action movies is how they deliberately do not show the poverty of the favelas from an understanding angle. Nope, if you're in a gang and point a gun against a police, you're as a loser that is as good as dead. Period.

What makes them excellent is that they still manage to portray how the problems with the drug-trade as a systematic one through the whole society and not just based on which class of society one belongs to.

Highly recommended.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Tropa De Elite 1 & 2

I didn't really like the first part, but the second is excellent. 

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Hara-Kiri I'm a big fan of anything feudal Japan, so that helps.. An awesome movie, brutal though (while defnintly gory, it's more the story itself that's pretty harsh). I love how thematically samurai/Ronin film are often very close to American westerns.

Edit: and then I realized there's an even better version - the 1962 Seppuku! awesome.

Fortune favors the bald.

I didn't even know there was a TV series until recently. It's not on Netflix or my cable On-Demand. :( I'd really like to try it. I get the Cartoon Network and I think it comes on Thurs. evenings (2nd season I guess?). I'll try to remember to tune in.
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Hara-Kiri I'm a big fan of anything feudal Japan, so that helps.. An awesome movie, brutal though (while defnintly gory, it's more the story itself that's pretty harsh). I love how thematically samurai/Ronin film are often very close to American westerns.

Edit: and then I realized there's an even better version - the 1962 Seppuku! awesome.

For what it's worth, the Kobayashi version is on sale for 10 quid direct from the Eureka/Masters of Cinema store. Free worldwide delivery. About half of their catalogue seems to be on sale at that price, some excellent titles there.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I have to say, I think Benedict did Khan well as he was written. It's just that the character as written for ST Into Darkness is purely that solo "genius" figure, and not the sweepingly charismatic one that could persuade people to follow him and inspire loyalty. On one hand, it makes sense becase as LadyC says, it's the embittered Khan trying to get his crew back rather then the leader with a crew and casually capable of turning his enemies to his side.

In Wrath of Khan, he was embittered, but he had a single focus (Kirk) and he still had crew and family that helped stabilise him a bit - at least until Kirk really started punching his buttons.  In Into Darkness, he's alone, he's been alone for a long time, and he actually thought the Federation had killed his crew earlier.

Just finished watching Star Trek into Darkness last night.  This pretty much summed it up for me.   I thought Benedict was fine but overall the movie didn't really deliver.  Not a total waste of an evening by any stretch just felt like something was missing.

I love this movie, I'll never want to see the remake, because it just can't be any better than the original. one of the best samurai movies, period

• Like 1
Walsingham said:

Tropa De Elite 1 & 2

Movies about the special forces operating in Rio de Janeiro. What makes them stand out from other action movies is how they deliberately do not show the poverty of the favelas from an understanding angle. Nope, if you're in a gang and point a gun against a police, you're as a loser that is as good as dead. Period.

What makes them excellent is that they still manage to portray how the problems with the drug-trade as a systematic one through the whole society and not just based on which class of society one belongs to.

Highly recommended.

these are my favourite movies of the last ten years, if not all time favourites. Go watch them, both.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

World War Z - zombies aren't generally my thing but I found the film to be fairly decent. First half better than the 2nd half and the ending was a bit too "tidy" in its solution (as are a lot of "potential end of the world event" films), but plenty watchable.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Anyhow, I wished I'd seen How to Train Your Dragon in 3D for the final sequence/fight (probably the only film during the modern 3D push that had a sequence I wished I'd actually seen in 3D).

The show's not very good. Extremely kiddie compared to the film.

I did see it in 3D, the only movie other than Avatar that I felt the 3D was worth it.

Star Trek Into Darkness. The whole Enterprise being under water didn't make any sense. And Spock was an emotional rollercoaster. Overall it was ok. 5/10.

Thr whole intro was dumb. Why didn't they just beam the device above the volcano and drop it. don't tell me their computers can't accurately calculate how much time it would take to fall and therefore how high up they needed to beam it.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Star Trek Into Darkness. The whole Enterprise being under water didn't make any sense. And Spock was an emotional rollercoaster. Overall it was ok. 5/10.

Thr whole intro was dumb. Why didn't they just beam the device above the volcano and drop it. don't tell me their computers can't accurately calculate how much time it would take to fall and therefore how high up they needed to beam it.

Wouldn't that violate the prime directive (like that ended up mattering) though?  Native's see the bomb from on high coming down, course of history changed. 

Now since they fubared the prime directive ANYHOW, it seems like doing something like that would have been less interferey then what they ended up doing which - honestly - should have gotten the entire command structure of the Enterprise reassigned and Kirk out on his ear.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Uh, well, because the device had to be manually set to detonate at the point of origin. Matter/anti-matter can't just be beamed willy nilly.  :no:

No, I don't know, but I do know CG animation is so beautiful these days, it forgives a lot of story miscues. I mean the Enterprise just looks gorgeous, and heavy. Depth-of-field animation blows my mind. Those long shots of future San Francisco ... my god.

Gonna watch WWZ now, see how it compares to TWD.    

All Stop. On Screen.

Gonna watch WWZ now, see how it compares to TWD.    

If TWD=The Walking Dead, it's nothing like it. I'd say WWZ is more akin to 28 Days Later, only on a less intimate, mass world scale. WWZ's weakest point, I'd guess, is that after the first half hour or so it doesn't do much with character. Feels like a lot of moving from scene to scene in order to show chaos. :)

Oh yeah, wow, I just finished it ... it is nothing like The Walking Dead. Z was fun, but not nearly as bang-on scary real as Georgia's walking dead. Nice to see Foxy in basically a cameo appearance ... Matthew Fox as a "parajumper" with only one line--unless I missed him earlier in the show. It's funny because I'm also finishing Season 2 of LOST at the moment.  

All Stop. On Screen.