Movies You've Seen Recently

Tale

I'm still waiting for Donald Glover as Spider-Man goddammit!

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

He's too old. Miles Morales is like 13.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

He's too old. Miles Morales is like 13.

I don't give a ****, he would be fantastic.

tumblr_lobu5u2lfo1ql5qr9o1_500.jpg

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

For some reason I read that as Danny Glover. In which case I would agree that he is getting too old for that ****.

• Like 5
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I saw Grown-Ups yesterday. It was labelled a "feel-good" movie. But it made me feel queasy. If it at least was Ebeneezer Goode, his ever as good.  ;)

Labadal: If you are going to watch a good movie with Bruce Willis and a kid, I suggest The Sixth Sense. Be prepared to rewind when you've seen it, like a frantic garbage scrambler.

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Now You See Me.

I actually quite enjoyed this one a lot.

Four magicians receive a mysterious invitation and meet up at a creepy address. One year later they're headlining at a Las Vegas show as "The Four Horsemen" and end it with robbing a bank in Paris and giving the money to the crowd. (Jessie Eisnburg, Woodie Harrelson, Dave Franco, and the ever cute Isla Fisher)

This then spirals into Mark Ruffalo's FBI agent being tasked to investigate them alongside an Interpol agent and find out how they did it... but it turns out to be only the first step in one big magic trick...

Throw in Michael Caine's smirky CEO, Morgan Freeman's former magician turned "Magic Debunker", and it all turns into a nice series of illusions, dark secrets, set pieces and bizarre investigations all carried out at a fairly smooth pace and slickly done.

And the nice tag line: "Look closely, because the closer you think you are, the less you will actually see"

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Saw four movies recently (all rentals)

Olympus has Fallen - Paper thin plot but tons of action which is all I wanted out of this.  I half expected Gerard Butler to scream THIS IS AMERICA in the final confrontation with the head terrorist.     

Oblivion - Interesting sci-fi flick with a fair amount of action and a decent if somewhat predictable plot.  Cruise's performance is probably the low point of the movie as the rest of the cast is fairly good.  Still it was fun.   

A Place Beyond the Pines - This plays out as three mini-movies within a movie.  Part 1 revolves around Ryan Gosling reconnecting with an old flame and a son he never knew he had. In part 2 a rookie cop played by Bradley Cooper becomes the central character.  In Part 3 Cooper, his son and Gosling's son (now a teenager) are the central characters.  The twists and turns are moderately interesting but the characters are just boring.  I simply didn't care what happened to them.   Most critics love this but I don't see the attraction.   There is a lot more to the plot but I can't go into too much detail due to potential for spoilers.

Admissions - Tina Fey as a Princeton University admission officer.  I think that sums it up.  Underwhelming at best.  If you're expecting a Tina Fey comedy, you can save your time and money.   My wife hated this as well.  She thought it was just boring.

Edited by kgambit

Saw four movies recently (all rentals)

Olympus has Fallen - Paper thin plot but tons of action which is all I wanted out of this.  I half expected Gerard Butler to scream THIS IS AMERICA in the final confrontation with the head terrorist.     

Sad how often Hollywood feels it needs to define America by punching someone in the face.*

I wonder if you could pitch a movie that basically encapsulated all the parts of the Constitution? You know, with plot points on freedom of speech, abolition of slavery etc. etc. With explosions. And at least one visit to a strip club.

*As opposed to British movies which define the nation using slow establishing shots of derelict housing and scrotey barefoot children

Edited by Walsingham

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

The Shadow Cabal, an indie fantasy epic I pledged on Kickstarter. Actually wasn't bad. Some of the effects were cheesy, but it was otherwise visually very good, plot wasn't terrible, and the elf girl did a really good job I thought. Was sometimes jarring to see lord of the rings props though. I think most of Arrowstorm's movies are on Netflix so I imagine this one will hit soon too.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Mortal Instruments: City of Bone - Entertaining movie that covers old ground but with some new mixed in. Dissapointed in how vampires were represented but enjoyed the pseudo step father and the best friend. Lead was solid in your typical lead in these type of movies. 7/10

Going to see this next week. I was rather disappointed in who was chosen to play Jace. But I'll wait and see how it plays out.

I saw it, never read the books. It was okay but could have been better.

I felt like, unlike other book series adapted to movies they did a fairly clumsy job of getting the audience the important information and streamlining the story. I gather the releationships between characters must be mega-important because plenty of time is spent with them in the story, but honestly there are a lot of things that are really hammered home that didn't need to be. Also some superfluous scenes are kept (there's really no reason for the poetry friend to be in the story - he adds nothing) at the expense of explaining other more important things (how the demons know to take over the witch, how Magnus knows the Institute is in trouble, details around the phobia/curse of the institute leader or even what his fate was).

Also what's the point in having an army of werewolves if they're just going to get killed en masse by the demons? Normal humans could have done that...

Edit: Also re-watched

THE INCREDIBLES - lovely fun superhero film

FORBIDDEN PLANET - best sci-fi film of the 50s, IMO.

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Mortal Instruments: City of Bone - Entertaining movie that covers old ground but with some new mixed in. Dissapointed in how vampires were represented but enjoyed the pseudo step father and the best friend. Lead was solid in your typical lead in these type of movies. 7/10

Going to see this next week. I was rather disappointed in who was chosen to play Jace. But I'll wait and see how it plays out.

I saw it, never read the books. It was okay but could have been better.

I felt like, unlike other book series adapted to movies they did a fairly clumsy job of getting the audience the important information and streamlining the story. I gather the releationships between characters must be mega-important because plenty of time is spent with them in the story, but honestly there are a lot of things that are really hammered home that didn't need to be. Also some superfluous scenes are kept (there's really no reason for the poetry friend to be in the story - he adds nothing) at the expense of explaining other more important things (how the demons know to take over the witch, how Magnus knows the Institute is in trouble, details around the phobia/curse of the institute leader or even what his fate was).

Also what's the point in having an army of werewolves if they're just going to get killed en masse by the demons? Normal humans could have done that...

Edit: Also re-watched

THE INCREDIBLES - lovely fun superhero film

FORBIDDEN PLANET - best sci-fi film of the 50s, IMO.

I really don't expect it to be all that good, just hoping it'll be fun ... and hopefully resemble the books a little. I remember being vastly disappointed in 'Twilight'. Bleh...

I can't believe LC just dissed my boy Ryan Gosling.

Ryan+Gosling+Drive.jpg

Gosling sure has that vacant look down pat.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

They pretty much did a find/replace on the script of Die Hard, I kid you not.  It's that obvious.  Only Olympus' grand-scale reboot scenario didn't work at all logically, and the majority of the characters were 'meh' (Morgan Freeman is always awesome).  Need to watch Die Hard again to get the bad taste out of my mouth.

I watched Cold Mountain again last night, I forgot what a brilliant, sad and evocative movie it is.

For those who don't know about the movie its about Jude Law who is a Confederate soldier who makes his way at the end of the American Civil War back to his true love, Nicole Kidman, through the dangerous and war ravaged countryside of Virginia to North Carolina

Highly recommended

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Watched this Firefly series over the weekend with my boy, and surprisingly enough I found it quite enjoyable, due mainly I think to the lack of the usual squeeing humour and far more emphasis on character building and an ensemble cast. However I watched the film Serenity tonight and found it a bit of a let down in comparison, River turns into Buffy, the pathetic one liners are back and the Shepard's identity mystery built up throughout the series is wasted.

The Operative was without a doubt very interesting and the film in general is I think very good, but one could have replaced every silly Kung Fu scene with a psychic outburst and ensured River remained a far more interesting character than the usual (and frankly by now cliche) super martial artists schtick.

Edit: Totally forgotten about Forbidden Planet, thank you for the reminder Amentep, best adaptation of the Tempest i've ever seen and the effects were totally amazing for that day and age, not to mention the soundtrack.

Edited by Nonek

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

A Single Shot - wow that was a glacially paced film. A lot of visuals, not much dialogue. It did serve to make the few dramatic moments more jarringly effective, but at the same time, while I love Sam Rockwell, watching him snooze in his car/bed and gaze into the distance while in a mental stupor for long minutes isn't all that interesting. The other issue was when there was dialogue, it was half incomprehensible mumbling. Seriously, couldn't understand what they were saying much of the time.

Which is too bad, because it had some aspects I liked. eg, it's not a terrible movie, but it could've used some more work.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

while I love Sam Rockwell, watching him snooze in his car/bed and gaze into the distance while in a mental stupor for long minutes isn't all that interesting.

watch The Winning Season, he's awesome in it

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Watched this Firefly series over the weekend with my boy, and surprisingly enough I found it quite enjoyable, due mainly I think to the lack of the usual squeeing humour and far more emphasis on character building and an ensemble cast. However I watched the film Serenity tonight and found it a bit of a let down in comparison, River turns into Buffy, the pathetic one liners are back and the Shepard's identity mystery built up throughout the series is wasted.

The Operative was without a doubt very interesting and the film in general is I think very good, but one could have replaced every silly Kung Fu scene with a psychic outburst and ensured River remained a far more interesting character than the usual (and frankly by now cliche) super martial artists schtick.

Edit: Totally forgotten about Forbidden Planet, thank you for the reminder Amentep, best adaptation of the Tempest i've ever seen and the effects were totally amazing for that day and age, not to mention the soundtrack.

1. Serenity was a film. It had to have material that could mass appeal. That meant punching.

2. Serenity was a last gasp, so it was obliged to tie up loose ends. Not much sodding point keeping secrets to the grave.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.