Movies You've Seen Recently

Tale

Watched The Rundown again via Netflix. I vaguely remember seeing it before, but could barely recall it. The action pieces are fun, Christopher Walken is fun...but overall not a great film. One day The Rock will be in a movie I really like, instead of it being "meh" or "ok". Or I'm hoping, because I like The Rock.

Dredd's on Netflix now too...might watch it again. Maybe I'll think it's better on a 2nd watch.

watch The Winning Season, he's awesome in it

If it's ever on Netflix, I will.
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

One day The Rock will be in a movie I really like, instead of it being "meh" or "ok". Or I'm hoping, because I like The Rock.

Pain & Gain?

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I rewatched Chronicles of Riddick.

No matter what a lot of people can say about it, I still enjoy that film. It's a little bit bombastic, and Twohy has said that they had to tone down a lot of the ideas for the studio backing, but it's still a fairly fun romp even with the silliness. I enjoyed it enough to watch the dvd extras and behind the scenes stuff, which are also quite amusing.

Although each time I see it, I do tend to think the Necromungers are a fusion of Necron and Chaos Space Marine from WH40k...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Edit: Totally forgotten about Forbidden Planet, thank you for the reminder Amentep, best adaptation of the Tempest i've ever seen and the effects were totally amazing for that day and age, not to mention the soundtrack.

Well it has less full-frontal John Gielgud than Prospero's Books which I think is the only other adaption of the Tempest I've sat through, so points for that. ;)

I find it interesting that the composers of the electronic soundtrack were pretty much denied credit for doing music.  But the "Electronic tonalities" are pretty awesome - particularly considering the difficulty in doing such stuff at the time.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I rewatched Chronicles of Riddick.

No matter what a lot of people can say about it, I still enjoy that film. It's a little bit bombastic, and Twohy has said that they had to tone down a lot of the ideas for the studio backing, but it's still a fairly fun romp even with the silliness. I enjoyed it enough to watch the dvd extras and behind the scenes stuff, which are also quite amusing.

Although each time I see it, I do tend to think the Necromungers are a fusion of Necron and Chaos Space Marine from WH40k...

I liked the necromongers. I always seem to end up rooting for the bad guys, if only because they make such a big effort.

Edited by Walsingham

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Hm, and for a further Riddick element, a quote from Vin regarding how it went along...

When we were doing The Chronicles of Riddick, back in 2003, David [Twohy] and I put together three leather binder, and each leather binder had a lock. They were those binders that you could lock. And we gave them to the head of the studio with one key. On the first binder, it said [COR] I, the second binder said [COR] II and the third binder said [COR] III. At that production level, the amount of money that we were spending at that point, we were thinking of going directly to the Underverse for [COR] II, and then to Furya for [COR] III. When years and years started to go by and we weren’t delivering the next chapter, we had to make a very conscious decision to find a way to tell the next chapter, continue the story and continue the mythology, even if it meant we weren’t going to get the size budget we had just had on The Chronicles of Riddick.

Luckily for us, there was an outcry from social media to make this one rated R, which did two things. It ruled out all possibilities of a studio backing it. As you know, rated R movies are few and far between, nowadays. We’re all seeing less and less rated R movies, and less and less of them are being made. We had to take a more independent route, so I went to Europe, to a film market, and presented what this film was going to be, and got foreign money to start this movie and to be the bulk of the financing for the movie. And then, it was up to us to take that somewhat limited means, especially in comparison to where we were on Chronicles, and tell a story with those limited means. Thank god, the audience wanted it rated R because that justified, in some ways, taking a more independent route.

One day The Rock will be in a movie I really like, instead of it being "meh" or "ok". Or I'm hoping, because I like The Rock.

Pain & Gain?

I doubt it ... tho the TV ads displayed some amusing bits.
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Finally saw The Mortal Instruments City of Bones. A bit disappointing really. Probably because I read the books. I know it's impossible to cram a whole book into 2 hours, but heck, there wasn't much of a story at all between all the fight scenes. :(

I suspect he will always be in giant forearms type movies. 

That part doesn't bother me. But the one's he's been in aren't all that entertaining as movies.

It's like Big Arnold. There's Terminator 1 & 2, True Lies, and (for me) Twins (I found it stupidly hilarious for some reason)...and then there's Conan, Commando and Jingle All the Way.

The Rock could use a True Lies.

and then there's Conan, Commando

what? blasphemy! Commando is awesome

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

A theatre was showing Great Gatsby, Star Trek Into Darkness and some other movies in a marathon - it was really cheap so I went.. only saw the first 2 though, but I really liked them both. Now I'm looking to see if I can see Man of Steel cheaply too.

Fortune favors the bald.

I liked all 7 films mentioned... :disguise:

• Like 3

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

The Rock has done a couple comedic roles, but they haven't done well.  I enjoyed him in The Rundown, but I'd say Sean Michael Scott was also a big part of that.

He's great at bit parts, he had a fantastic role in the Reno 911 movie.

He was great in Doom.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I agree with you completely on this one  :thumbsup:

Walsingham said:

Hey, I found Commando cheesy-action entertaining. On some level, most of his movies are at least that. Doesn't make it a True Lies/T2 caliber of movie, however. And I really didn't like Conan. The literal he-man barbarian stuff isn't exactly my thing.

The thing about The Rock, to me, is he has way more (sympathetic/charm) charisma and is possibly a slightly better actor ... but he's not as memorable because he doesn't have that Arnold schtick that makes Arnie, Arnie. Thus he doesn't seem to get many interesting movies, or the comedy is too far on the slapstick side.

Getaway: Meh. Too much focus on the driving sequences. This a car race with some mvoie thrown in for giggles. Still, entertaining, but not great. The 'ending' is lame.  5/10

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Forgot to mention we tried out Rifftrax the other day. Mesa of the Lost Women. Well worth every MST3K minute.

The quality of the video (which came bundled with the track on this one was actually BETTER than on my DVD copy of the same film.

The quality of the film was just awful. :) Great drunken mocking fodder.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

The Philadelphia Story.

There are reasons some films are just absolute classics. Cary Grant, Katherine Hepburn, and James Stewart are just a great mix with the dialogue.

Dang, now I feel in the mood to chase down some more of the 40's screwball comedies and light rom-coms.