Movies You've Seen Recently

Tale

Keannu is pretty much the big bad. So, there's that.

Well, yes, but that could mean he sits on that couch in a few bits, sits around a board table for a few minutes, has a phone convo or two, and then has a 5 minute end-film fight sequence. :p

Spoilers! ;)

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Well, yes, but that could mean he sits on that couch in a few bits, sits around a board table for a few minutes, has a phone convo or two, and then has a 5 minute end-film fight sequence. :p

:unsure::ermm:

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Spoilers! ;)

:lol: If I'm actually close, well, the 2 min preview I watched made it pretty predictable. That and the 1000's of other films that follow such a routine. Heh. I did want to see Keanu, he tends to entertain me in action stuff, but it's $10 on HD-VoD and not sure if it's worth even that.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

It does have some very nice choreography in it, so if you enjoy well-crafted fight sequences...

Heh, on a return to Much Ado About Nothing, I have to say as I'm watching Whedon's director's commentary, it's the little touches in the background that work so well. Sean Maher's villain successfully breaks up the wedding, and as he walks out snatches up a cupcake on his way in a jaunty way. It's like "I am Evil, I deserve a cupcake!"

• Like 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Dracula 3D. Complete ****.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Doesn't give me headaches, but 3D Avatar didn't impress me at all so I haven't bothered since. Still, my fave reviewer (who doesn't typically like or recommend 3D) raved that 2D wouldn't do it justice. It's made me curious. :)

I actually enjoyed Avatar more in 2d. Actually, every movie I've seen in 3d has been better in 2d.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Doesn't give me headaches, but 3D Avatar didn't impress me at all so I haven't bothered since. Still, my fave reviewer (who doesn't typically like or recommend 3D) raved that 2D wouldn't do it justice. It's made me curious. :)

I actually enjoyed Avatar more in 2d. Actually, every movie I've seen in 3d has been better in 2d.

Even... Piranha 3D?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I love 3D movies, the format really agrees with my depth perception and it looks awesome to me. But I think I'm in the minority, everyone I know prefers 2D - so I'm enjoying it while I can, I think it's on it's way out.

Fortune favors the bald.

Elysium. enjoyed it. 7.5/10

Pacific Rim. Another movie I enjoyed. 7/10

Killing Season. ugh. What were Robert De Niro and John Travolta thinking? 4/10

The Colony. Not a great movie, but didn't mind it. Seemed to take stuff from other movies like 28 days later and more so 30 days of night. 6/10

Puppetmaster II - Its interesting how a sequel can be so at odds with the original film continuity wise. Toulon's death date is wrong, they imply he made the Jester puppet prior to the opening of the first film when we see him making it in the opening of the first film, they retcon the end of the first film somewhat (its *possible* the intention is the incidents described happen after the first film, but that doesn't completely fit either).

Continuity aside, it uses the hoary horror cliche of crazed mystic trying to capture the "reincarnation" of his lost love. The puppets seem to have less personality here and the lead actor and actress come off flat compare to some of the supporting cast.

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I love 3D movies, the format really agrees with my depth perception and it looks awesome to me. But I think I'm in the minority, everyone I know prefers 2D - so I'm enjoying it while I can, I think it's on it's way out.

I don't dislike it per se, but 3D doesn't feel like it really adds anything either (hence no desire to pay extra). Probably more about what they tend to use 3D for - making stuff feel a bit separated from background (depth) doesn't typically do much in the average film. The only 3D I liked was in a Vegas IMAX, with this crazy cartoon. But that was animation and it involved wearing something that was sorta like, but not quite, a helmet, vs. the cheap plastic eye glasses they hand out in the theater.

Something like Gravity, set out in space above a planet, vs. cars, explosions, superheros, and always super-busy scenes, might be more interesting. Anyway, going to see it in a few hours. :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I never said it was 'needed'. Why make stuff up and insinuate I claimed something I did not.

I was just interested to hear how they used 3D that you found to be awesome and unique.  It was not meant to be argumentative.  

"Gravity" (3D) - I'd give the movie something like an 8.5, and the 3D a 5.

The film is definitely Ms. Bullock's, and I thought she did a fine job. Clooney, for once, was likable (to me) vs. just sorta "meh." I guess he works better in small doses versus leading-man. The film is gorgeous, and when they used it, the music soundtrack fit well and added to the feeling of suspense. They didn't use much "sound in space", just sound via their helmet speakers and thuds on outer hulls when they're inside. It was interesting where sometimes it seemed like sound, but I think what they were trying to capture was maybe feeling vibrations, not hearing sound. Anyway, outside of suspension of disbelief re: the preposterous luck of Bullock never tearing her spacesuit, was entertaining and refreshing from the usual action/superhero.

The 3D - y'know, it's cool when rain and snow and water droplets look like they're outside of the screen, but it still doesn't make the film experience any better. And more than half the time, the depth they use looks too phony - it's not like looking at someone from across a room - instead they "pop" out from an over-blurred background and it's just....fake. That said, for me, it wasn't actually distracting and once in a while it does work. And it was definitely better in this film than in Avatar.

Then don't put words in my post that weren't there.

My post asks what did they need to put in 3D in the Great Gatsby, and by they I am referring to the producers.  But I apologize if I was unclear, I guess a better way to say it would be what did they choose to make 3D that made it unique.  I would still really love an answer, as I haven't seen the movie yet.  

I honestly thought we were friends at this point Volourn, I did not mean to upset you.

Puppetmaster III (do you spot a trend this week?).

Magic killer puppets vs Nazis. If that premise alone doesn't spark excitement, maybe Richard Lynch as the villain will? Or perhaps Sarah Douglas, Ian Abercrombie and Walter Goetell in supporting roles? But really they had me at killer puppets vs Nazis.

Its 1941 (again a busy, busy year for Toulon apparently) and this time, Toulon and his wife are producing puppet shows in Germany. Toulon's wife gets killed because the Nazis want his secrets and he proceeds to take revenge (a la The Abominable Dr. Phibes or Theater of Blood). Its a solid film in this regard, setting up a series of confrontations logically and playing well to the strengths of the killer puppets.

Continuity is still wonky - might be best not to think about it too hard, but the production is definitely at an all time high. And the puppets are allowed more to do here capturing more of their personalities making them more interesting (to be fair to Puppetmaster II they were all weakened, so being a bit mopey and lethargic made sense, but it didn't give them much else to do).

Probably my favorite of the series so far.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Puppetmaster III (do you spot a trend this week?).

Magic killer puppets vs Nazis. If that premise alone doesn't spark excitement, maybe Richard Lynch as the villain will? Or perhaps Sarah Douglas, Ian Abercrombie and Walter Goetell in supporting roles? But really they had me at killer puppets vs Nazis.

Its 1941 (again a busy, busy year for Toulon apparently) and this time, Toulon and his wife are producing puppet shows in Germany. Toulon's wife gets killed because the Nazis want his secrets and he proceeds to take revenge (a la The Abominable Dr. Phibes or Theater of Blood). Its a solid film in this regard, setting up a series of confrontations logically and playing well to the strengths of the killer puppets.

Continuity is still wonky - might be best not to think about it too hard, but the production is definitely at an all time high. And the puppets are allowed more to do here capturing more of their personalities making them more interesting (to be fair to Puppetmaster II they were all weakened, so being a bit mopey and lethargic made sense, but it didn't give them much else to do).

Probably my favorite of the series so far.

I remember seeing Puppetmaster.  Paul LeMat and magic puppets (e.g. Blade and Shredder Kahn) vs Nazis.  LOL   

I didn't realize there were ten movies all told. 

Yeah Paul Le Mat is only in the first one, but there are ten - big money maker for Charles Band's Full Moon production (although I think 3-4 of the later films have no new Puppet footage, its all reused because the guy producing the stop motion, David Allen, passed away).

The last one, last years Puppet Master X: Axis Rising, has Toulon's Killer Puppets vs Nazi made Puppets!

Warning: Some Bad Language

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtUDRhibKp4

Edited by Amentep

Puppet Master IV: Back to the present, still some continuity errors. The Puppets vs magic creatures sent by Set to destroy the new puppet owner. It had some fun puppet vs puppet stuff. 3 was probably more satisfying.

This makes me want to re-watch the first 3 or 4 Hellraiser films, in order. I didn't actually love the movies per se, but I used to love the chr. of Pinhead.

I really liked the first Hellraiser EXCEPT the end.  When the Cenobites turn on Kirsty as I recall they actually violate their agreement with her (that if she helps them find the person who called them, they'll leave her alone) which is something they don't do.  It was a radical departure from Barker's book and IMO Barker should have stuck to his first intention there.

The second one was "okay", but I felt it a bit OTT (been years since I seen it).   I don't know that I watched any of the others.