What are you playing now?

I wasn't being drammatic, the smudgy textures literally tire my eyes in minutes and I can't focus my sight.

On the faces? I don't remember them being smudgy or blurry. Just weirdly shadowed and, of course, not very attractive facially. Tho I blame that more on the engine, which just seems to be poor with faces throughout its game-use history. (edit: I guess the darker shadowing that occurs at times could be seen as smudgy...)

I don't think I've seen any mods that succeeded at making the faces much better, however. Usually they're either focused on hi-res female bodies (hur), different hairstyles, or they just alter the shape of the face via the editor ... so Veronica has a different face than her default, or whatever.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Guest Slinky

Weirdly I've had more problems this time around, including a flying mammoth.

Have you forced vertical sync off in the .ini file? That apparently causes all sorts of weirdness.

That said, i think the problem with the writing is actually a problem with the narrative as a whole which I think stems entirely from the "you can do everything". The story, therefore, has to be created to not have any real urgency so the player isn't pushed to not do this over that as part of the philosophy of the gameplay.

No, it's just plain and simply bad writing and it doesnt limit itself to the main story. Every time I have gotten a new quest, there has been a good chance the dialog was so half-assed that questions like "why?" and "what the hell just happened?" have been emerging to my mind rather strongly after I've got the quest.

I wasn't being drammatic, the smudgy textures literally tire my eyes in minutes and I can't focus my sight.

On the faces? I don't remember them being smudgy or blurry. Just weirdly shadowed and, of course, not very attractive facially. Tho I blame that more on the engine, which just seems to be poor with faces throughout its game-use history. (edit: I guess the darker shadowing that occurs at times could be seen as smudgy...)

I don't think I've seen any mods that succeeded at making the faces much better, however. Usually they're either focused on hi-res female bodies (hur), different hairstyles, or they just alter the shape of the face via the editor ... so Veronica has a different face than her default, or whatever.

Aww, too bad.

There is a desperate need for a higher resolution No-bark.

240px-No-bark_Noonan.jpg

"I tole 'em, we got a chupacabra with an automatic weapon.  That's when they get real quiet."

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Graphically the only thing that really bugged me about Skyrim was the mid ground detail, most of the time they can hide it but now and again you notice that everything between you and the distant mountains is a blurry mess.

Yes, exactly. :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Weirdly I've had more problems this time around, including a flying mammoth.

Have you forced vertical sync off in the .ini file? That apparently causes all sorts of weirdness.

Sadly I'm playing it on a console.

Otherwise I'd have modded the **** out of it for a better experience like I did Oblivion and Morrowind. :)

That said, i think the problem with the writing is actually a problem with the narrative as a whole which I think stems entirely from the "you can do everything". The story, therefore, has to be created to not have any real urgency so the player isn't pushed to not do this over that as part of the philosophy of the gameplay.

No, it's just plain and simply bad writing and it doesnt limit itself to the main story. Every time I have gotten a new quest, there has been a good chance the dialog was so half-assed that questions like "why?" and "what the hell just happened?" have been emerging to my mind rather strongly after I've got the quest.

You know when I wrote that I hadn't really given it a thought, but there was a bit in Dawnguard where Serena was telling me something important and the only response I could choose was "Just get on with it" which seemed a bit weird as an only response. So I can see where you're thinking about it being half-assed in someways since it actually didn't make sense in context (at least they didn't give me two choices where both went to the same response).

Some of the quests do seem rather...random. But I do think part of that is the nature of the game and the radiant AI making spot quests very basic.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Just finished off Far Cry 3. (although only picked up 90 of the 120 relics scattered around the islands).  Hm, I have to say, that finale is a serious wtf moment of writing.

Seriously, you go through the whole game geared on saving your friends.

You tell Citra and her people that you're staying on the island, and your friends are leaving without you. And so they.. kidnap your friends and want you to kill them in an effort to stop you leaving the island with them...

Hm. You've become their ultimate freaking warrior in your efforts to save those friends. You'd already said you were staying, not leaving.. So.. where is the sense in any of this??

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Dawnguard's writing is terrible, but at least you get an awesome companion and a few cool new areas.

Plus random werewolves attacks, Vampire Lord transformation and two perk trees.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Dynasty

Warriors

EIGHT!

*plays generic rock while slamming his way through 3 armies*

And the nice part is that this time, It got a good review from destructoid instead of "Eh, more of the same. BUT MADDEN IS AWESOMESAUSE!"

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Dawnguard's writing is terrible, but at least you get an awesome companion and a few cool new areas.

I still haven't gotten around to any of the Skyrim DLCs.  My issue was I'd finished playing the core game well before any of the expansions/DLC were released, and I didn't really want to go back to it after I'd finished it.

This tends to be my issue with a lot of games.  Unless I feel it has replay value, I'll never actually get around to playing the DLC associated with it since by the time the DLC is released, I'm well past caring about the game.

Though with very few games I'm looking forward to in the next few months, I might actually go back to Skyrim and try out the DLCs.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Civ5, CK2 co-op, and LOL.

Also, acronyms.

Ooh, may I slip in a slightly pedantic post-it here that makes no difference to anyone, anywhere. I didn't realize this until I read through that epic NSX forum thread a few years ago, but words like NASA are acronyms, where something like NWN is an initialism.

Still waiting on Far Cry 3 to hit bottom price, so I loaded up my Xbox copy ... oh, man, is it muddy and weird. A 256MB frame buffer vs. 2GB is massive. Feeling pretty chuffed at the moment for putting together this PC just for P:E.   :sorcerer:

All Stop. On Screen.

Saints row 3. One review described this game as "like GTA, but fun". I can subscribe to that thought, in fact I went and preordered IV yesterday evening.

First open world game where I actually spend time exploring and doing stuff instead of just sprinting through the story. Either it's really good, or living in the country has damaged me in some way.

• Like 2

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Saints row 3. One review described this game as "like GTA, but fun". I can subscribe to that thought, in fact I went and preordered IV yesterday evening.

First open world game where I actually spend time exploring and doing stuff instead of just sprinting through the story. Either it's really good, or living in the country has damaged me in some way.

I get the view that SR3 is fun, but I don't understand why people didn't want to explore the much more believable city in GTA4?

I suppose SR3 had loads more side quests and those help motivate you to travel around the city :unsure:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I still have yet to play Saints Row 2 (barely started) or 3, and now there's a 4 coming. :p ... I'll get to the series someday. Unless I croak first, of course. :biggrin:

Borderlands 2 Ultra or Ultimate or whatever mode is pretty tough, at least initially. I like being able to level up more, tho.

I get the view that SR3 is fun, but I don't understand why people didn't want to explore the much more believable city in GTA4?

I suppose SR3 had loads more side quests and those help motivate you to travel around the city :unsure:

I think that's the exact point. If I want to explore a believable city, I can do it myself. If I want to explore the absurdity of Steelport... I can't do it elsewhere.

I think the differences in the ways "wanted" levels are handled impact it, too.

Edited by Nepenthe
  • Like 1

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Steelport itself didn't seem that absurd. It is more fun to rampage in SR3 though, even before the god mode upgrades. Finished off Vegas 2, forgot about the gunship boss so that was a good laugh (somehow a gunship fails to kill one guy in a courtyard..)

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Yeah, I thought Steelport was a pretty dull, grey place, like what I'd imagine a generic American city to look like (I've never been to the US). Need a total conversion of SR3 to take place in Sleeping Dogs' version of Hong Kong. So far it's the only open-world city-roaming game city that I enjoyed just tooling around in, but the game itself was just a bit too oppressive for me, it needed a bit more levity.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Dynasty

Warriors

EIGHT!

*plays generic rock while slamming his way through 3 armies*

And the nice part is that this time, It got a good review from destructoid instead of "Eh, more of the same. BUT MADDEN IS AWESOMESAUSE!"

How does Ambition Mode work?  It doesn't seem clear on the website.

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man