What are you playing now?

Ugh, I doubt I'm going to finish Tomb Raider.  I'm on the beach looking for Alex, however far into the game that is.  At this point, my hatred for this game has grown so strong it's pretty much overtaking any desire I have left to finish it.  I just want this crap off my hard drive and out of my life.

There's a few times where you do that.

IMO one of the issues with Tomb Raider has already been stated. The other is that, thematically, it matched itself to Far Cry 3 a wee to well. Both games are ultimately a 20 something being stuck on a primitive island with semi-mystical forces at work. Far Cry arguably handles it better because not everyone on the island is pure kill crazy, while on the Tomb Raider island, EVERYONE Lara meets that didn't show up with her, is attempting to kill her.

Also, Lara was IMO a bit to... weak(? probably not the right word but I'm tired) at the start of the game, with her barely being able to survive and the ENTIRE TIME you're listening to her panicked "Oh god! Please! Oh God!" over and over again.

Tossing on my Faux Game Dev hat, I'm gonna say that were I constructing Lara's reboot adventure, I'd have her being a grad student who's part of a dig or something. The tutorial has her unlocking and opening a tomb that they found, which kids off the main plot. Make it an Indiana Jones style "Magical Macguffin" chase, rather than "Are you the Predator? or the Prey?" with her first kill (that she spends some down time coming to terms with) being a bandit who attacked the crew and tried to make off with said Macguffin.

• Like 1

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I've finally grabbed some time so I'd like to play Left 4 Dead 2. If anyone is up for a zombie massacre this evening and tomorrow at GMT+1 drop me a PM here or send me a message on Steam.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Load up sleeping dogs.  I am finding it fun in the early going.

Sleepy Dawgs is a fun game. I burst out laughing when I won big money at the **** fighting arena.

Edit: I see that the word got censored.

Edited by Labadal

Ugh, I doubt I'm going to finish Tomb Raider.  I'm on the beach looking for Alex, however far into the game that is.  At this point, my hatred for this game has grown so strong it's pretty much overtaking any desire I have left to finish it.  I just want this crap off my hard drive and out of my life.

There's a few times where you do that.

IMO one of the issues with Tomb Raider has already been stated. The other is that, thematically, it matched itself to Far Cry 3 a wee to well. Both games are ultimately a 20 something being stuck on a primitive island with semi-mystical forces at work. Far Cry arguably handles it better because not everyone on the island is pure kill crazy, while on the Tomb Raider island, EVERYONE Lara meets that didn't show up with her, is attempting to kill her.

Also, Lara was IMO a bit to... weak(? probably not the right word but I'm tired) at the start of the game, with her barely being able to survive and the ENTIRE TIME you're listening to her panicked "Oh god! Please! Oh God!" over and over again.

Tossing on my Faux Game Dev hat, I'm gonna say that were I constructing Lara's reboot adventure, I'd have her being a grad student who's part of a dig or something. The tutorial has her unlocking and opening a tomb that they found, which kids off the main plot. Make it an Indiana Jones style "Magical Macguffin" chase, rather than "Are you the Predator? or the Prey?" with her first kill (that she spends some down time coming to terms with) being a bandit who attacked the crew and tried to make off with said Macguffin.

I think the setting lore explains why everyone wants to kill her, but I think it would have worked more interestingly if there had been multiple factions on the island that perhaps react to what Lara's done as opposed to being kill crazy (technically there are two excluding Lara's own group, but they're virtually indistinguishable in their "kill kill kill" approach to strangers).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

What drives me nuts is that every time I get to somewhere where I start to do something even somewhat enjoyable, the game has to throw me right back into Murder Fest 2013.  For example, when I got to the beach, I was like "cool a nice big open area with plenty of jumping and climbing."  Mind you, none of it presented any real challenge, but at least there were a few areas where I had to look around and actually think for 20 or 30 seconds about how I'm going to get there.  As soon as I'm starting to get into a somewhat fun exploring and platforming groove, sure enough, here are 20 more goons to murder.  Goodbye fun, hello ****ty shootout.  There are a few cool action sequences where you're running along crumbling bridges or exploding rooftops where they cleverly disguise childishly easy platforming and make it seem more challenging and exciting than it is with SPLOSHUNS!  Unfortunately, like everything else that's even remotely fun, these are constantly interrupted by ****ty murdering.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Guest Slinky

More Skyrim.

Every time I sleep at the inn of Solitude, the local executioner with his huge axe is in the room when I wake up. Just slightly disturbing.

Not sure which to play next.  These are on my gaming shelf that I haven't touched yet:

-Batman: Arkham Asylum

-Tomb Raider

-Defiance

-Assassin's Creed III

-Dragons Dogma

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

DOG EEEEEEYES

I think the Two Best Friends Play video of Sleeping Dogs is the best advertisement Square Enix could possibly have for that game.

Got Dark Souls (really need those mods, wow,) Far Cry 3, the Mount & Blade series and Saints Row the Third on Steam's you-know-what.

Edited by AGX-17
  • Like 1

I'm currently enjoying PST for the 8th time and also finally getting around to Bioshock: Infinite.

Not sure which to play next.  These are on my gaming shelf that I haven't touched yet:

-Batman: Arkham Asylum

-Tomb Raider

-Defiance

-Assassin's Creed III

-Dragons Dogma

Play Asylum and dump the rest.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I am a big fan of the Arkham games.

Man, I've had Arkham City on my to-play list since I built this system, about a year and a half ago.  Still haven't gotten around to installing it.

(Asylum gave me minor motion-sickness issues with the swoopy bits, but the background details and puzzle-game elements were a lot of fun.)

I've been trying to get through a New Vegas save in the early parts of *Honest Hearts*, with an eye toward finally playing through *Lonesome Road*.  But I have a feeling that the copy of Dishonored I bought in the Steam sale might jump the queue. 

DOG EEEEEEYES

I think the Two Best Friends Play video of Sleeping Dogs is the best advertisement Square Enix could possibly have for that game.

Got Dark Souls (really need those mods, wow,) Far Cry 3, the Mount & Blade series and Saints Row the Third on Steam's you-know-what.

Why would you buy Dark Souls, I thought you have played it? I am also going to be buying Dark Souls so apart from the Hi-Res Mod what other Mods would you suggest?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Downloading Planet Explorer's .605. Didn't realize it was out, so I'm behind. From what I"m hearing tho, it's much improved ... at least on the durability and digging front. So I'm likely to like this version much better. Alas I have to wait until tomorrow...much too late for me to start it now (plus the D/L is another hour to boot...).

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Deponia down. But good God, in that last act I wanted Rufus to get gutshot and bleed to death - well at least his dealing with the helpful trash collector.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Torchlight.

I really like how the game allows you to choose your own play style. I am a mage right now, wielding a magic sword with one hand and a wand with the other. I also throw those ice bolt thingies like grenade on the badies from safe distances which is an extremely fun thing to do when you have hoards of small critters rushing towards you.

Edited by Astiaks

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Decided to play Defiance.  I'm still getting the hang of it.  Random people seem to be dropping in on my game, even though I'm just on the tutorial part.

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

DOG EEEEEEYES

Why would you buy Dark Souls, I thought you have played it? I am also going to be buying Dark Souls so apart from the Hi-Res Mod what other Mods would you suggest?

Because it was cheaper than buying Artorias of the Abyss on PSN, and there are mods.

Well that was a mistake.  Now I can't even play Defiance because I keep getting timed out from the servers.  I can't even log on to play the friggin' game.

This is exhibit A about how mandatory internet connections are stupid for games in general.  I'd like to be able to play the game I bought without relying on any sort of connectivity issues impeding me from doing so.

Well that was a mistake.  Now I can't even play Defiance because I keep getting timed out from the servers.  I can't even log on to play the friggin' game.

This is exhibit A about how mandatory internet connections are stupid for games in general.  I'd like to be able to play the game I bought without relying on any sort of connectivity issues impeding me from doing so.

Dude, that's technically an MMO.

• Like 1

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I'm generally anti-internet connection requirement too, but how do you propose to play an MMO without an internet connection?

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Got a bit annoyed with Risen 2 when some of the combat moves wouldn't work like the in-game prompt kept telling me. So I look online to double-check and find that you have to be holding down the right mouse button as well as pressing whatever the game is telling you to press. Now I can actually kick and parry/riposte.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."