The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt [2014]

Messier-31

Also, argumentum ad populum is bad. You should feel bad for using it.

Here, let me translate that latin phrase for you all: "my argument is ****, so I'll start using latin phrases in the vain hope that someone will mistake it for intelligence"

• Like 2

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Here, let me translate that latin phrase for you all: "my argument is ****, so I'll start using latin phrases in the vain hope that someone will mistake it for intelligence"

Just so you know: failed attempts at sarcasm are not a good substitute for intelligence either.

Considering Geralt's profession I was a little surprised by how little combat there was in Assassins of Kings, in comparison it was miniscule to the usual rpg, where we are interrupted every few yards by rote slaughter. Refreshing to say the least.

Well he is supposed to be a hunter for hire, so isn't that unexpected that there'd be lulls between killing Big Bad of Region A and B. Witcher 1 combat was just timing combos with the flaming sword icon, not that great, but still was key to keep hitting mooks so they can't hit you. Fighting the Koschkey or whatever that demon crab thing was, on my first try to was nothing but that :p

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1) Yes steering wheel it the best tool for the job, but that doesn't change the fact that a gamepad is still WAY better for a racing game than m&kb.  Ever played a racer, or even a game that has driving like GTA with m&kb?  Sucks, doesn't it?

Not really, no. Depends entirely on your preference, as you point. It's not a fact that a controller is better.

A controller has clear advantages that translate directly to a racer:

1) Analog steering, allowing you to steer more or less depending on how far you move the thumbstick.  With a keyboard it's all or nothing.

2) Analog triggers, allowing you to feather the throttle.  Again, with a keyboard it's all or nothing.

It is mouse and keyboard that is being compared to, right? Not keyboard only? Because it strikes me that those limitations do not apply to mouse control where you can use distance and speed of mouse movement as an 'analog(ue)' input method, you don't have to use the binary keyboard input.

M&KB is not the greatest combo for everything of course, I don't think you could play SSX very well with M&KB, and most flight/ space sims wouldn't work well either. But, of course, space sims don't work well with a controller either.

It is mouse and keyboard that is being compared to, right? Not keyboard only? Because it strikes me that those limitations do not apply to mouse control where you can use distance and speed of mouse movement as an 'analog(ue)' input method, you don't have to use the binary keyboard input.

M&KB is not the greatest combo for everything of course, I don't think you could play SSX very well with M&KB, and most flight/ space sims wouldn't work well either. But, of course, space sims don't work well with a controller either.

I was thinking mostly of car racing games, and I can't think of a single one off the top of my head where you use the mouse to steer (or accelerate and brake).  But even if you have the option of steering with a mouse it will still be awkward because you can't just automatically return to neutral by letting go of the thumbstick (or conversely it could automatically return to neutral if you stopped moving it, but then you'd have to keep moving the mouse to go through a long sweeping turn and you'd likely run out of mousepad or even table unless you had a trackball).  You'd have to manually aim back to center, which would be a hassle (it's also likely why they don't implement that in car racing games). 

Fun fact:  I used a combination of gamepad and m&kb for playing space sims (X2 and X3 namely) before I got my flightstick.  Gamepad most of the time when I was just cruising around in space.  When I'd get into a battle I'd switch to m&b for the superior precision of mouse aiming.  Then I got my flightsick, and, well, obviously that became my control method.

We agree on the basic point, m&kb is an inferior tool for certain types of games.  It's a superior tool for certain other types of games.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Still I can play MGS2 on PC with keyboard a lot faster / smoother than on console with controller. :>

• Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I was thinking mostly of car racing games, and I can't think of a single one off the top of my head where you use the mouse to steer (or accelerate and brake).  But even if you have the option of steering with a mouse it will still be awkward because you can't just automatically return to neutral by letting go of the thumbstick (or conversely it could automatically return to neutral if you stopped moving it, but then you'd have to keep moving the mouse to go through a long sweeping turn and you'd likely run out of mousepad or even table unless you had a trackball).  You'd have to manually aim back to center, which would be a hassle (it's also likely why they don't implement that in car racing games). 

Fun fact:  I used a combination of gamepad and m&kb for playing space sims (X2 and X3 namely) before I got my flightstick.  Gamepad most of the time when I was just cruising around in space.  When I'd get into a battle I'd switch to m&b for the superior precision of mouse aiming.  Then I got my flightsick, and, well, obviously that became my control method.

We agree on the basic point, m&kb is an inferior tool for certain types of games.  It's a superior tool for certain other types of games.

Operation Flashpoint used the mouse to steer cars and trucks from what I remember, or rather it could use it that way. There are also mods for some racing games that allow you to configure the mouse as a steering implement.

Mouse is'nt bad as a turning implement because it does'nt return to center though, if you want your steering wheel to function properly with FF you turn off the centering spring anyway, in wich case it does'nt return to center either.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Still I can play MGS2 on PC with keyboard a lot faster / smoother than on console with controller. :>

MGS games have far too many commands for the number of buttons on the controller. Half of the time through MGS3 I was holding down 2-3 buttons while tapping or pushing others while fiddling with analog sticks.

In MGS3 some actions vary due to how you manipulate the button so you'd have to change the game code to remap those actions to single keys on a keyboard. Unless you have pressure sensitive keys or something.

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Yeah, but in the PC version of MGS2 they didn't changed it. They just said controller button x = button y on keyboard. That means, in order to do certain actions you have to press more than one key even on PC with keyboard. Especially the sword fight at the end of the game was horrible due to this. Still, up to that point I find it a lot easier than with controller. :>

Not that it matters much for Witcher 3... Just wanted to point out that even some games seem to be easier with controller or whatever, I personally still find them easier to play on keyboard. I also played DMC3 (I think it was 3) on PC and had no problems with the keyboard.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Operation Flashpoint used the mouse to steer cars and trucks from what I remember, or rather it could use it that way. There are also mods for some racing games that allow you to configure the mouse as a steering implement.

Lots of things with driving in on PC have it, at least as an option. GTA3+ for example. I found M&KB better by far in VC for car control, as I also played that on PS2 so have a direct controller based comparison, but I'd suspect that I may be in the minority there so far as driving goes- mouse precision vs autoaim on the other hand is an absolute walkover.

Lots of things with driving in on PC have it, at least as an option. GTA3+ for example. I found M&KB better by far in VC for car control, as I also played that on PS2 so have a direct controller based comparison, but I'd suspect that I may be in the minority there so far as driving goes- mouse precision vs autoaim on the other hand is an absolute walkover.

At this point I'm so used to driving with keyboard keys and taking turns with handbrakes that I'm not sure I'd be able to adapt to a mouse-controlled method of driving. Couldn't really do that in Arma or OFP, come to think of it.

I can't even genre-generalise control preferences because I preferred SR3 on keyboard and SD on gamepad. Though I guess beyond the obvious primary labels, you could call one a shooter and the other one a beat-em-up which is a succinct enough explanation. But even then, I was so used to driving with the respective control schemes that each felt natural enough with them.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

• 2 weeks later...

I still wish they'd done a XBox360 port for the first Witcher game.  To this day, my computer can't run it well (yes, I have a PoS PC), so I have no idea what happens past the first chapter.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

• 1 month later...

New trailer. Who knew Geralt was so good at close fighting.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I imagine that you get the opportunity to have some sexy time after this scene.  It's a fantastic looking CGI trailer.  It doesn't really tell us anything new, we already knew Geralt was a super badass, but it looks good.  Then again, that could be indicative of choices you get to make in the game.  Maybe the damsel in distress you save turns out to be a witch or a criminal, and one worthy of being hung?

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Nice trailer, but I'm not sure its possible to be more excited about this game than I already am :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Keyrock: I agree, that trailer is pretty amazing. However, I've tried to get into both Witcher 1 and 2, and haven't made it passed the first hours of those games. I don't really know why, and I do aim to finish them some day, especially W2 Enh Ed. Hopefully, Witcher 3, with its open world (20 % bigger than Skyrim acc to Wikipedia), will make me a true believer. :)

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Guest Slinky

New trailer. Who knew Geralt was so good at close fighting.

That's a lot of effort just for a lousy sex card.

You've seen how fast the stupid steam cards get sold? Those must make a mint!