The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt [2014]

Messier-31

Apparently Mr Charles Dance will be voicing the White Flame Dancing on the Graves of his Foes, Emhyr Var Emrys, Emperor of Nilfgaard in the concluding part of the trilogy. Rather fitting I think.

• Like 2

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I imagine that you get the opportunity to have some sexy time after this scene.  It's a fantastic looking CGI trailer.  It doesn't really tell us anything new, we already knew Geralt was a super badass, but it looks good.  Then again, that could be indicative of choices you get to make in the game.  Maybe the damsel in distress you save turns out to be a witch or a criminal, and one worthy of being hung?

With CD Project Red, that's a good possibility.  If there's one thing they've shown, it's that they tend to do the whole "your decisions affect later events" thing quite well.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

The trailer looks nice, but yeah- tells us nothing about the actual game, as it is with trailers.

Still, really tensed to get Witcher 3 into my hands.

• Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Silly trailer, something in-game would have been better.  But I'm not really anticipating another watered-down semi-RPG that has no actual role-playing and little emphasis on player choice, which is exactly what the first two games are.  

Save RPGs

Saying Dragon Age 2 is the worst recent Bioware RPG is like saying the Ferrari California is the worst Ferrari. It's still a Ferrari; an elite, top-tier, without much competition in today's industry.

Silly trailer, something in-game would have been better.  But I'm not really anticipating another watered-down semi-RPG that has no actual role-playing and little emphasis on player choice, which is exactly what the first two games are.  

Sounds like you are a big fan of the series? :skeptical:

If  games like Witcher don't offer you RPG choices what would be a good example of a modern game that does? I am interested to compare your idea of a true RPG to the Witcher series.

Witcher 2 has 10 possible endings or so based on your decisions so I'm not sure what more you want?

Edited by BruceVC
  • Like 2

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

What?  If there's one thing the Witcher games have, it's a strong emphasis on player choice and consequences based on those choices.

Or am I unclear on what you're saying?  Because it sounds like your complaints are the exact opposite of what the Witcher games actually are. :blink:

• Like 1

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

"Witcher 2 has 10 possible endings"

L0L

"If there's one thing the Witcher games have, it's a strong emphasis on player choice and consequences based on those choices."

D0UBLE L0L

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Sounds like you are a big fan of the series? :skeptical:

If  games like Witcher don't offer you RPG choices what would be a good example of a modern game that does? I am interested to compare your idea of a true RPG to the Witcher series.

Witcher 2 has 10 possible endings or so based on your decisions so I'm not sure what more you want?

The ending isn't everything.  Examples of modern games that really do take into account player choice?  Both Dragon Age games (especially DA:O), all Mass Effect games (inb4ME3ending), and The Walking Dead for starters.  Only two or three choices made in TW1 actually make some sort of affect on TW2 when importing a save, and these changes are minuscule: one of them is a small dialogue change, the other lets you get into a city without fighting.  Your romance choice is completely ignored.

Character development is completely one dimensional, dialogue choices result in no difference in this regard.  Most decisions made throughout both games have no long term effect, especially compared to the games I listed above.

"Witcher 2 has 10 possible endings"

L0L

"If there's one thing the Witcher games have, it's a strong emphasis on player choice and consequences based on those choices."

D0UBLE L0L

Glad I'm not the only one who sees this.

Edited by Rhamnetin

Save RPGs

Saying Dragon Age 2 is the worst recent Bioware RPG is like saying the Ferrari California is the worst Ferrari. It's still a Ferrari; an elite, top-tier, without much competition in today's industry.

So you're referring exclusively to carry-over choices from TW1 to TW2?  Fair enough.  I haven't been able to play the first one all the way through (my PC is crap), so I can't comment on the ending stuff carrying over to TW2.

However, when you say stuff like "little emphasis on player choice", you can't then ignore all the various choices the player is given within the individual game that have an affect on how the rest of the game plays out.  Hell, Chapter 2 becomes almost an entirely different experience (in terms of who you interact with, what portions of the story you see, etc.) depending on your choice at the end of Chapter 1.  Throughout, some quests aren't even available to you depending on previous decisions you made.  If that's not player choice, I don't know what is.

• Like 2

So you're referring exclusively to carry-over choices from TW1 to TW2?  Fair enough.  I haven't been able to play the first one all the way through (my PC is crap), so I can't comment on the ending stuff carrying over to TW2.

However, when you say stuff like "little emphasis on player choice", you can't then ignore all the various choices the player is given within the individual game that have an affect on how the rest of the game plays out.  Hell, Chapter 2 becomes almost an entirely different experience (in terms of who you interact with, what portions of the story you see, etc.) depending on your choice at the end of Chapter 1.  Throughout, some quests aren't even available to you depending on previous decisions you made.  If that's not player choice, I don't know what is.

I'm not referring only to when choices carry over, but that is a big part of it.  But most choices made in each individual game have an immediate effect but nothing long term, with the one exception in TW2 that you pointed out.  You just don't have much influence over the story compared to most RPGs, no influence over other characters, and there's only one playstyle in TW2.  Good games, but mediocre RPGs at best.

Edited by Rhamnetin

Save RPGs

Eeeh, (even) I felt that C&C was the forte in Witcher 2, even if they obviously get a D- for those choices and their consequences carrying over from one installment to the next, for the moment (and AFAIK they've said it's going to be the same again in 3?).

While I'm quite looking forward to 3, I'm already pre-emptively turned off a bit by the free pass it will get on many flaws that the same people would enthusiastically call out in a game by a (certain) other studio... :p

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

What?  If there's one thing the Witcher games have, it's a strong emphasis on player choice and consequences based on those choices.

Or am I unclear on what you're saying?  Because it sounds like your complaints are the exact opposite of what the Witcher games actually are. :blink:

You are correct, Witcher 2 does offer you more choices from an RPG perspective and there real  influence on the end game then any RPG I have played

I'm not referring only to when choices carry over, but that is a big part of it.  But most choices made in each individual game have an immediate effect but nothing long term, with the one exception in TW2 that you pointed out.  You just don't have much influence over the story compared to most RPGs, no influence over other characters, and there's only one playstyle in TW2.  Good games, but mediocre RPGs at best.

Honestly Rhamnetin have you even played Witcher 2?

I don't know a single RPG I have played where you have the option to not have some final end game battle with the antagonist that during the game you are  hunting. In Witcher 2 you have the choice to not fight Letho, it would be like not choosing to fight the Archdemon in DA:O.

You can criticize the Witcher game in other areas but to say you can't make RPG choices is just silly

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

my only problem with the witcher games has been the combat.  hopefully they get it fixed for the new one.  if it has combat as good as, say, dragons dogma or dark souls then it will probably end up my goty

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

You are correct, Witcher 2 does offer you more choices from an RPG perspective and there real  influence on the end game then any RPG I have played

I don't know a single RPG I have played where you have the option to not have some final end game battle with the antagonist that during the game you are  hunting. In Witcher 2 you have the choice to not fight Letho, it would be like not choosing to fight the Archdemon in DA:O.

You can criticize the Witcher game in other areas but to say you can't make RPG choices is just silly

Played it twice.  So TW2 is the best RPG because you get to choose whether or not to fight one particular battle?  Now that's just silly.  How much does a ticket to this make-believe world cost?

Edited by Rhamnetin

Save RPGs

Played it twice.  So TW2 is the best RPG because you get to choose whether or not to fight one particular battle?  Now that's just silly.  How much does a ticket to this make-believe world cost?

We going to have to agree to disagree on this one. It seems like every example that someone gives you highlighting why TW2 is a game that offers you RPG choices you dismiss. I stand by what I say that TW2 does offer you RPG choices, you dispute that. That's fine and that's your view. I'm going to move on around this particular debate :)

John Milton 

Guest Slinky

Haven't really been keeping up with the news, has there been any word about the combat system in Witcher 3? It was kinda crappy in the first one and in my opinion even crappier in second. Felt pretty dumb to somersault everywhere.

I don't know a single RPG I have played where you have the option to not have some final end game battle with the antagonist that during the game you are  hunting.

Planescape: Torment, Fallout 1 & 2 (technically in 2, though one or two people have to die, you just don't have to fight them).

• Like 1

Guest Slinky

The CGI trailer did little for me.

Is this out in the fall? Is there a confirmed date at all?

Sometime next year, as it's a next gen game.

Also shamelessly quoting my question to this page:

Haven't really been keeping up with the news, has there been any word about the combat system in Witcher 3? It was kinda crappy in the first one and in my opinion even crappier in second. Felt pretty dumb to somersault everywhere.

I don't know a single RPG I have played where you have the option to not have some final end game battle with the antagonist that during the game you are  hunting.

Planescape: Torment, Fallout 1 & 2 (technically in 2, though one or two people have to die, you just don't have to fight them).

I played Torment and I didn't realize you could avoid the final battle, so there are maybe 3-4 RPG over the last 15 years where you get to avoid the final battle. I apologize for only getting it 95 % right :biggrin:

John Milton