The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt [2014]

Messier-31

I expect to be able to side with Nilfgard, and banish the Aen Elle. And I want to bed Phillipa. Now there's a challenge.

...I actually liked Philippa.

You guys use such language in such a delicate manner. I prefer the term "To plow her garden".

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Yeah, that was referring to him being likeable enough rather than being an idiot, as you aren't really supposed to like either Philippa or Letho throughout most of the game but I ended up liking both well enough. Wouldn't trust either (esp Philippa) as far as I could throw them though. I ended up disliking both Henselt (an even bigger idiot than Philippa) and that ungrateful snake Radovid a lot more.

Can't really call Philippa a genius, she got totally played by Letho based pretty much entirely on him looking stupid, and that set everything in motion. The only part of her anatomy we can blame that on is the part between her ears. Even the later lapse in judgement looked to be largely due to her over confidence as much as wanting some hot but inappropriately chosen intern action.

Edited by Zoraptor
  • Like 2

There seems to be a subtle sub theme in the game where the great powerbrokers of the North all have a similar flaw, in that they underestimate those around them, and ironically it is the greatest gameplayer herself who seems to be the most blind, Philippa herself. Thus I saw the blinding as a rather nice thematic device, even though we know from the books that this injury can be healed.

Personally I would not consider her an idiot, her seizing on Saskia's true nature and taking advantage of it at Vergen is too competent, and her manipulation of both Geralt and Iorveth after this is inspired. That and I believe she was probably the chief financier and PR person for Saskia's rebellion, as well as implementing long term plans to take Aedirn and thus rid herself of one of the most devious kings in the North, Demavend. However I would agree that she was doing exactly what she accuses Triss of, thinking with her privates.

That and she forgot the child whose father she killed, showing how she fatally underestimates her opposition again, anyone could have told her that Radovid was the one to watch. His inspired use of Salamandra, the Order and parley with Foltest in the first game speak of his devious nature.

Still a cut above most antagonists I would argue, and certainly most female characters, only the lesbomancy scenes slighted her character and I wonder if she was doing that to flaunt her sexuality in the birthplace of her new state, keep Geralt's mind distracted or perhaps a mixture of both.

• Like 4

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

It's these moments that make me glad I'm Polish and can enjoy the books at my leisure. Eilhart's character is unchanged from the saga. She is a very competent politician, ruthless, pragmatic, and manipulative, backed by the secret league of the sorceresses (the Feminist Magical International, as Yennefer put it elegantly and I inelegantly translated). She did have issues with her libido, including taking calls in negligee with lipstick smudges on the neck. Her conflict with Radowid runs a lot deeper than her simply assassinating his father. She was the woman behind the regency council, marginalizing little Radowid and his mother, humiliating him with her overt attempts to break and reshape him into her pawn. She even went so far as marginalize him during the victory parade in Wyzima, where she and Dijkstra (her lover, the Redanian spymaster she later betrayed) stood alongside kings where he, the heir should be.  It went on for years, causing these deep seated issues you see.

I wouldn't consider her mistakes being silly, though. They are a result of her character flaws, including the aforementioned libido and general disdain for non-magicians (she did underestimate Geralt at several points, but Geralt can't really pass for a stupid brute convincingly). I was quite surprised at how consistent her portrayal was with the books, including the mannerisms. 

By the way, here's a few calculations I made basing on the books and the official Witcher game map:

Wyzima - Vengerberg 8cm = 4-5 days of intense horse riding

Anchor - Gors Velen = 3 days

Anchor - Tretogor = 7.5 cm = 300 mil 

1cm = 40 miles

7.5 cm x 5 cm

300 x 200 mil = 60000 mil2 - Temeria

6 cm x 7 cm = 240 x 280 = 67200 mil2 - Redania

8 cm x 7 cm = 320 x 280 = 89600 mil2 - Kaedwen (UK: 88,744.8, don't remember the criteria, though)

1cm = 64 km

0.01 m = 64000 m 

Map scale: 1 : 6400000

So there you have it. Note that these are very, very rough and I may be off by several thousand square miles. I'm not even sure the miles in the Witcher universe are the standard Imperial mile. They might be using Arabic or German miles for all we know.
  • Like 3

It's these moments that make me glad I'm Polish and can enjoy the books at my leisure. Eilhart's character is unchanged from the saga. She is a very competent politician, ruthless, pragmatic, and manipulative, backed by the secret league of the sorceresses (the Feminist Magical International, as Yennefer put it elegantly and I inelegantly translated). She did have issues with her libido, including taking calls in negligee with lipstick smudges on the neck. Her conflict with Radowid runs a lot deeper than her simply assassinating his father. She was the woman behind the regency council, marginalizing little Radowid and his mother, humiliating him with her overt attempts to break and reshape him into her pawn. She even went so far as marginalize him during the victory parade in Wyzima, where she and Dijkstra (her lover, the Redanian spymaster she later betrayed) stood alongside kings where he, the heir should be.  It went on for years, causing these deep seated issues you see.

I wouldn't consider her mistakes being silly, though. They are a result of her character flaws, including the aforementioned libido and general disdain for non-magicians (she did underestimate Geralt at several points, but Geralt can't really pass for a stupid brute convincingly). I was quite surprised at how consistent her portrayal was with the books, including the mannerisms. 

By the way, here's a few calculations I made basing on the books and the official Witcher game map:

Wyzima - Vengerberg 8cm = 4-5 days of intense horse riding

Anchor - Gors Velen = 3 days

Anchor - Tretogor = 7.5 cm = 300 mil 

1cm = 40 miles

7.5 cm x 5 cm

300 x 200 mil = 60000 mil2 - Temeria

6 cm x 7 cm = 240 x 280 = 67200 mil2 - Redania

8 cm x 7 cm = 320 x 280 = 89600 mil2 - Kaedwen (UK: 88,744.8, don't remember the criteria, though)

1cm = 64 km

0.01 m = 64000 m 

Map scale: 1 : 6400000

So there you have it. Note that these are very, very rough and I may be off by several thousand square miles. I'm not even sure the miles in the Witcher universe are the standard Imperial mile. They might be using Arabic or German miles for all we know.

That's an insightful post, thanks for sharing :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela