RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS!

Gorth

South Park for 3.2M (Ubisoft)

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I don't want ****ty DRM on my south park game. What a shait. Ubisoft sucks.

Relic, what madness have you done...

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/01/23/thq-bid-winners-prices-and-runners-up/

Metro, which includes 2033 and 2034

Winning bid: $5,877,551 - Koch Media GmbH (Deep Silver)

Backup bidder: $5.175 million - Ubisoft

Yay, I am most excited that Metro has a continued future :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Folks, you need to get your priorities in order.  Is it really more important to you to see Ubisoft fail than it is to see Obsidian succeed?  Because you refusing to buy South Park because of the publisher is going to hit the developer a heck of a lot harder than anyone else.  

I dislike Ubisoft's DRM policies as much as many of you, but I'm not willing to throw Obsidian under the bus to make my point.

• Like 3

Because you refusing to buy South Park because of the publisher is going to hit the developer a heck of a lot harder than anyone else.

That rather depends on the contract though. Not buying FONV would have had ~zero net effect for Obsidian since they weren't paid royalties, for example.

I wouldn't worry anyway, gamers as a collective tend to have zero spine when it actually comes to following through with not buying stuff.

Edited by Zoraptor

Folks, you need to get your priorities in order.  Is it really more important to you to see Ubisoft fail than it is to see Obsidian succeed?  Because you refusing to buy South Park because of the publisher is going to hit the developer a heck of a lot harder than anyone else.  

I dislike Ubisoft's DRM policies as much as many of you, but I'm not willing to throw Obsidian under the bus to make my point.

Hurlshot you never cease to amaze me with your irrefutable logic. Once again I find myself agreeing with you. Whats more important, letting Obsidians reputation and revenue suffer due to an issue with Ubisofts DRM policy or buying the game that will only be good for Obsidians continued financial  longevity. This should be a no-brainer for anyone who actually supports Obsidian and projects like PE.

Finally I would support Ubisoft anyway as I like the studio. There DRM policy has given me very few issues, and the few I experienced were not insurmountable. I think the worst was where I couldn't logon for 2 hours. It was no big deal.

• Like 2

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Because you refusing to buy South Park because of the publisher is going to hit the developer a heck of a lot harder than anyone else.  

Depends. Is this just one of those contracts where Obsidian does not get any of the profits? Because then, having lower *PC version* sales won't really hurt Obsidian if the reception is good anyway.

Furthermore, do you think Obsidian is going to do all that much more business with Ubisoft anyway? Project Eternity, the kind of game they want to make, is a PC title that's going to be light on DRM. Aren't Ubisoft's priorities completely different, with them treating PC gamers as second rate customers?

That rather depends on the contract though. Not buying FONV would have had ~zero net effect for Obsidian since they weren't paid royalties, for example.

I wouldn't worry anyway, gamers as a collective tend to have zero spine when it actually comes to following through with not buying stuff.

Ninja'd

South Park for 3.2M (Ubisoft)

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I don't want ****ty DRM on my south park game. What a shait. Ubisoft sucks.

Relic, what madness have you done...

Ubisoft dropped thier DRM big time, you just activate the game once from uplay and then you dont need to go online ever. (unless you  want multiplayer or updates)

Edit: It's a sad day indeed, goodbye THQ and good luck to all its employees :(

Edited by cyberarmy

Nothing is true, everything is permited.

image-163154-full.jpg?1348681100

Uplay is not one time activation, it's like Steam. You can login then go offline, but then you don't get multiplayer or updates. When I installed it, it installed a plugin in 4 browsers without my permission, this plugin has had incredibly bad security vulnerabilities. DRM is not a deal breaker, forcing me to use a poor piece of software and adding vulnerabilities to my computer is why I'm not getting Ubisoft games.

Edited by AwesomeOcelot
  • Like 1

Ah, poor innocent Hurlshot.

In the internet hate always wins, because the internet is the darkside. 

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Heh, was wondering when you'd post something like this - eh if they have it on principle to not bother with Ubisoft due to their DRM scheme (or just loathing the company like me), no need to compromise that just on Obsidian's behalf.  And any sales they lose to this line of thought will be more than made up by the rest of the consumers that don't care or think Ubisoft are a great customer focused company. 

Hardly throwing Obsidian under the bus, besides they have Kickstarter.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

And that's how the fight against DRM terrorists will be lost, one concession at a time.

Heh, was wondering when you'd post something like this - eh if they have it on principle to not bother with Ubisoft due to their DRM scheme (or just loathing the company like me), no need to compromise that just on Obsidian's behalf.  And any sales they lose to this line of thought will be more than made up by the rest of the consumers that don't care or think Ubisoft are a great customer focused company. 

Headpalm

• Like 1

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

In this challenging economic climate we have companies battling with profitability and people going of business. I would think that most people on these forums would do anything reasonable to ensure that Obsidian and other similar companies do continue to generate revenue. I am not suggesting you buy South Park if you don't like the idea of the game but to say you won't buy South Park because of Ubisoft tells me you have a strange definition of supporting Obsidian and there future projects.

Edited by BruceVC
  • Like 2

John Milton 

Well 'anything reasonable' is up to the person, I've no issue if someone refuses to touch anything Ubisoft and carrying that on to include South Park - it's their money and we're not duty bound to Obsidian for anything (much as the reverse is true).

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Reminds me of Gangsters.

PS4 devkit #3 specs:

http://www.vgleaks.com/orbis-devkits-roadmaptypes/

SoC Based Devkit

• Available January 2013
  • CPU: 8-core Jaguar
  • GPU: Liverpool GPU
  • RAM: unified 8 GB for devkit (4 GB for the retail console)
  • Subsystem: HDD, Network Controller, BD Drive, Bluetooth Controller, WLAN and HDMI (up to 1980×1080@3D)
  • Analog Outputs: Audio, Composite Video
  • Connection to Host: USB 3.0 (targeting over 200 MB/s),
  • ORBIS Dualshock
  • Dual Camera

If the campaign doesn't reach its target, they still get the money; and there's no legal obligation to refund anybody who donates if their attempt fails.

Besides, I'm more than a little certain that you'd need a pretty solid studio to develop an actual Homeworld game; a mobile-app developer? Yeah...