RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS!

Gorth

Start of old thread

End of old thread

http://ionfx.com/pro...pc_Miasmata.php

Guys take a look at this upcoming game called Miasmata. I think it looks sweeeeeeeeeet

Its involves lots of exploring on an island and being hunted by a deadly creature :)

Guys I am really surprised that no one has commented on this game, I'll try again.

" Look at this exciting uupcoming game" :)

:lol:

'A' for effort. Looks interesting enough. Will wait and see feedback from release version though :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Start of old thread

End of old thread

http://ionfx.com/pro...pc_Miasmata.php

Guys take a look at this upcoming game called Miasmata. I think it looks sweeeeeeeeeet

Its involves lots of exploring on an island and being hunted by a deadly creature :)

Guys I am really surprised that no one has commented on this game, I'll try again.

" Look at this exciting uupcoming game" :)

:lol:

'A' for effort. Looks interesting enough. Will wait and see feedback from release version though :)

Yaaaay, someone responded :)

This should be your cup of tea Gorth. It seems to be primarily around exploring the unknown to find things for a cure?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I'm liking the idea of the game, even if the hiding aspect seems a bit too easy from that small glimpse they give.

Also, that time cycle demonstration at the beginning would be more impressive if the lighting would have any effect on the island. :p

I would try the game. I am just not sure if it could keep me motivated over a longer time.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Old but extremely interesting article, really illuminates gaming seen as a business:

http://www.lostgarde...n-strategy.html

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

Old but extremely interesting article, really illuminates gaming seen as a business:

TL;DR

Sony and MS are gona boast with better graphics for the next gen consoles again, but Nintendo is gonna win anyway.

Read it, its the best piece on gaming I've read in a while. Trust me, its worth your time.

TL;DR

Sony and MS are gona boast with better graphics for the next gen consoles again, but Nintendo is gonna win anyway.

Read it, its the best piece on gaming I've read in a while. Trust me, its worth your time.

This is a good read and the writer makes some interesting points. However the article is 7 years old and his predictions have been proven incorrect despite the fact at the time he was correct. He says "Niche: A population of hardcore genre addicts provides both the development resources and audience for the continued development of games in the genre. Quality decreases" and Decline: The market consolidates around the winners of the king-of-the-genre battles that occurred during the Maturity phase. New games genres begin stealing away the customer base. With less financial reward, less games are released.

Due to projects like KS the niche market will get quality games, no one could have guessed how much KS would change the development landscape. Its financially feasible for companies to produce quality games for a niche market

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Syberia 3 in development, for real ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Syberia 3: the Road Home?

Last Sokal game I played was Paradise and it was a subpar Syberia clone.

In any case, this is way better news than the Dreamfall sequel.

Edited by Drudanae

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Agni's demo (Next gen Final Fantasy tech demo) which plays for 3 minutes took a year to create

What a waste of time. I can already see Square-Enix going the way of the Dodo. After that disaster that was FF XIV they better be careful about their future.

I think this tells us that the new generation of consoles are not going to blow anyone's mind. They can make the graphics as powerful as they want but the development costs can only skyrocket. If the major players are playing it safe with every AAA title they sure as hell aren't going to double their investment for much better graphics and sell games at the same price as before. And I don't see a price hike solving the issue.

Agni's demo (Next gen Final Fantasy tech demo) which plays for 3 minutes took a year to create

What a waste of time. I can already see Square-Enix going the way of the Dodo. After that disaster that was FF XIV they better be careful about their future.

It's funny that they spend so much time with this, but they can't finish a game they announced 6 years ago.

It's funny that they spend so much time with this, but they can't finish a game they announced 6 years ago.

Procrastination.

Valve working on teh future

Valve hardware chatter continues, following economist Yanis Varoufakis’s spell as the studio’s ‘Economist-In-Residence’. Varoufakis has blogged about his time with the studio, has discussed Valve’s dabbling in hardware, and claims to have seen ‘the future’ while there. Get his thoughts below.

“I’ve signed an NDA so I can’t reveal much more. I’ll just say that I really saw the future. (it’s not a small deal to see a virtual but highly realistic alien stand beside a real human in the same room with you, walk around the room and wink at you. And all that without a screen, a projector or even a computer near you…)”

Next step: Gaben will allow me to have sex with Alyx TEKK MUY MONEYZ!!!1

some concept art from Bungie's next game

http://www.allgamesb...ls-concept.html

Nice. Although after years of that Halo crap I'm not expecting anything from Bungie.

Gaming industry is going through major, fundamental changes, says former Pandemic head Greg Richardson

"Consumers now want to live in a consumption-of-games-world that looks very different than ‘I need two hours in front of my big-screen TV in my living room and I’ve got to master a controller and basically have the dexterity of a fighter pilot in order to play the game," Richardson said.

This is the most retarded thing I've read for quite a while.

What is it with aligning to all these asocial ADHD hippies that need 24/7 entertainment everywhere they are? "OMG if I can't play TardVille while on the Bus with my friends then my world will collapse!".

"I think people think of publishers as kind of a business word that’s distinct from creating products. We’re primarily creators. The people here are developers; we’re inspired to create games that millions of people fall in love with. That’s why we’re doing this.

No you are not, buddy. You are not interested in creating games, you're only interested in phony business models packaged as games.

• Like 1

I think he's right, the prevalent mentality today is that any game should be "jump in and play" straight away. Its precisely those genres which are irreconcilable with this philosophy that have already died (flight simulators) or dying/transforming (RPG). So called hardcore gamers as a public are shrinking as opposed to every other type of customer and the industry is changing to follow suit.

I don't care much either way - games are in such a state of hyper-production that something good (something that I want to play) will, even by chance, always show up.

I think this tells us that the new generation of consoles are not going to blow anyone's mind. They can make the graphics as powerful as they want but the development costs can only skyrocket. If the major players are playing it safe with every AAA title they sure as hell aren't going to double their investment for much better graphics and sell games at the same price as before. And I don't see a price hike solving the issue.

Actually it's a question of tools and technology, and having the correct tools automate the workflows which are the most complex.

There are ways to do things which are like a one shot deal, and there are ways to do things which allow them to be repeated.

Something like that demo is established very much by a lot of one off code/art etc... They'll have identified the bottlenecks, solved a significant amount of the problems - at least conceptually.

Anyways, I never expect launch titles to look that much better than the previous gen, they often don't either.

Also, 6 months of planning is in fact a very long time, so actual turn around on the demo was 6 months dev, 6 months pre-pro. And dev team size also is a factor... SO! Yeah, there will be a leap, but it won't be huge and out of the box.

Edited by Nightshape
  • Like 1

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

In other words a gradual increase as per usual.

Its because so much time has passed between this generation and the next that people are expecting a quantum leap. The other part is marketing strategy, no one is going to shell out a ton of cash for next gen consoles if you tell them they're pretty much going to be playing the same stuff they are now in the beginning.