Dragon Age 2

Gorth

But only two classes, grom? People will burst arteries! Basement rooms will run red with blood!

am suspecting that you identified the root problem. for some inexplicable reason, the developers decided that having only two classes were one class too few. reasons for the bloat is uncertain. traditional expectations of at least three classes? belief in mystical numbers?

*shrug*

have two classes offering increased opportunities for customization appeals to us as a superior approach than the da solution, particularly in light of da2 modifications like rogue-specific archery and dw. why is three classes better than two? am getting why they feels the need to separate magic and weapons combat (although there is a good argument for doing away with classes... period) but the da rogue were an unnecessary and inelegant addition to the class roster.

"Is the point to be a ****, no matter what? Sure looks like it! thumbsup.gif "

depends on who the comment is actual directed at, no? you created a classic strawman situation suggesting hypocrisy o' a large mass o' people. is not that the claim o' hypocrisy that bothered us... but the horrible logic were inexcusable. nevertheless, if your comment is self-directed, then you is golden.

no?

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

It's going to be available for Mac as well, if anyone here plays on one.

Whoah, Maria, that abilities tree looks a lot better than what I saw before. That's worth getting excited over!

It looks pretty. I believe the bottom three are the 'force mage, spirit mage, and blood mage' specializations. If so, they've done a bit of trimming. I do like the layout, however.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

All I saw before was just like a single tree. And thought that might be it for each class, or just two to three of them. Nine is much better.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

It's going to be available for Mac as well, if anyone here plays on one.

Whoah, Maria, that abilities tree looks a lot better than what I saw before. That's worth getting excited over!

It looks pretty. I believe the bottom three are the 'force mage, spirit mage, and blood mage' specializations. If so, they've done a bit of trimming. I do like the layout, however.

trimming were needed. before the biowarians even released info regarding their initial magic rules for da, many veteran gamers noted that a large catalog o' spells, while having geek appeal, inevitably leads to balance problems. bio ignored.

is odd that most developers immediately recognize that traditional ranged and melee weapons has gotta be balanced. if there is a super weapon or a best weapon option, then game fun is diminished. also, the developers rare make it so that a warrior is fantabulous at all forms o' combat. nevertheless, even though magic is simply another combat option, developer brains seem to go numb and they choose Kewl options 'stead o' developing rational and balanced. wacky.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Default female Hawke is hot. Can we remove that blood stain though? I don't understand why you would want to smear blood across your face.

I pre-ordered from Impulse to try our their service and because they were still selling the signature edition at $49.99. Pre-order goodies look good. I was hoping for another Mabari companion. I'll name him/her Woof this time, because I'm so original.

Definitely like the new skill trees. I hope different builds within the same character class are possible and are equally fun to play.

"I haven't heard encouraging things about combat and I want to see that is solid"

O RLY? repeatedly, previews have stated that it basically plays just like DA1. If you liked DA1 combat - which you calim you do - how is that not encouraging? L0L

"But in this case you are forced to preorder if you want all the NPC's, right? "

Youa ren't forced to do anything. EA isn't gonna come by your house and kick your butt if you don't preorder. . You said it yourself. It's a WANT not a NEED. You do know the difference between the two, right?

p.s. People whine about DA2's graphics being so much worse than DA1's but with every new screenshot/video, it looks better and better. *shrug*

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

friends and rivals for companions? ... And 1 will actually be useful while 2 other just barely and other just fodder with stories.

As I understand it, possible companions are:

Bethany (mage)/ Carver (warrior) <- Depending on your class

Aveline (sword and board warrior)

Fenris (two handed warrior)

Isabela (dagger rogue)

Varric (ranged rogue)

"Anders" (unknown mage - possibly 'force')

Merrill (Keeper mage - some type of nature/blood magic hybrid)

If you get the Exiled Prince DLC

Sebastion (ranged rogue)

Companions are limited to their initial weapon tree. Isabela can only use daggers, not the crossbow or bow. Most of their talents are unassigned when they first join the party. They all have multiple quests.

Default female Hawke is hot. Can we remove that blood stain though? I don't understand why you would want to smear blood across your face.

There are smear and non-smear versions of the default faces.

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I was interested by what Volo said about cash being the only thing that mattered and immediately and unsurprisingly disagreed violently.

The biggest reason he's wrong is that the purchase isn't occurring at only one point in time, with unconnected parties. If I hate the game after I buy it I won't buy another one, and I will advise others not to buy it. This will hurt sales. It follows logically that Bioware would want to know what we will like about the game, and to cut things we don't - bearing in mind the impossibility of making everyone happy.

Having said that, however, I don't believe any large established company is in the habit of paying the slightest bloody attention to the market in meaningful terms. Although I'm not sure if that's because they're stupid or we lie all the time about what we want.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

am also surprised that a self-described educator such as hurl is so obtuse as to similarly Miss The Point.

Is the point to be a ****, no matter what? Sure looks like it! :thumbsup:

*Richard. A small one.

To be honest, I never actually read Gromnir's posts. I'll skim them a bit, but the edited quote stood out because it was extremely tasteless and rude. I can't even bring myself to try and decipher his gibberish response. Ha, good fun, I guess. Nepenthe, I wouldn't waste time with a guy that posts as a make believe character all the time. :)

am also surprised that a self-described educator such as hurl is so obtuse as to similarly Miss The Point.

*Richard. A small one.

To be honest, I never actually read Gromnir's posts. I'll skim them a bit, but the edited quote stood out because it was extremely tasteless and rude. I can't even bring myself to try and decipher his gibberish response. Ha, good fun, I guess. Nepenthe, I wouldn't waste time with a guy that posts as a make believe character all the time. :)

don't sell yourself short as you is quite adept at posting gibberish... albeit you do 'cause o' what you says rather than how. even so, we is getting off-topic and so shall refrain from posting further w/o at least attempting to add some game-related content to our posts. to that end...

gimping the jnpcs in an attempt to make the player character more special would appear to be part o' the overall direction o' bio development for da2. never has we seen an "addition-by-subtraction" approach wielded so aggressively in a sequel to a successful game. typically developers choose to add more content to a new game, but bioware is going seeming as hard in the reverse direction with da2... truly innovative. bio could Really improve by completely removing skill and ability trees from the jnpcs.

yeah, some o' the broken features from da needed to be fixed or removed, but am not certain how warriors being able to dual-wield were broken. am similarly wondering why allowing the player more choice to customize jnpcs is a bad thing. the female duelist cannot wield a bow effective because... it would look funny if she were wielding a bow in bio's pre-generated, cinematic cut-scenes? honest, am not sure of the rationale given, so am sorta guessing and grasping at possible arguments.

cut fluff, bloat and broken is a good thing, but the cutting bio is doing appears to be the result o' laziness. is easier to make the pc or rogues special by amputating working features from the game? okie dokie. is a strange kinda innovation at work.

HA! Good Fun!

Ah, clever. If I understood that correctly, you can't get 3 mage party anymore? It seriously help the balance as it's unlikely that basic root / AoE routine + tank / nuke / heal haven't gone away.

Supposedly there's at least 2 companions of each class, + Hawke, so you can have 3 of any class I think. They might add more in DLCs of course, like they did with Sebastion.

Ah, clever. If I understood that correctly, you can't get 3 mage party anymore? It seriously help the balance as it's unlikely that basic root / AoE routine + tank / nuke / heal haven't gone away.

Supposedly there's at least 2 companions of each class, + Hawke, so you can have 3 of any class I think. They might add more in DLCs of course, like they did with Sebastion.

Yeah, I read that incorrectly as of course PC can be mage :thumbsup:

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

"But in this case you are forced to preorder if you want all the NPC's, right? "

Youa ren't forced to do anything. EA isn't gonna come by your house and kick your butt if you don't preorder. . You said it yourself. It's a WANT not a NEED. You do know the difference between the two, right?

C'mon Volourn, read my sentence again and let it settle it. No need to say the same thing you've already said 5-6 times. We all get it.

*Richard. A small one.

i think within my first week posting here I made gromnir the only person on my ignore list, the few times I have clicked to see what it was he was saying I instantly regretted it.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

What's with the Gromnir bashing? He actually brings good and well thought-out critizism to the table, all while writing like a character in a novel by James Joyce. You sure don't see that every day.

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

What's with the Gromnir bashing? He actually brings good and well thought-out critizism to the table, all while writing like a character in a novel by James Joyce. You sure don't see that every day.

TBH I can't stand internet "characters". His writing somehow annoys me enough that I put him on my ignore list.

No offense, Gromnir. It just bugs me. :thumbsup:

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/post/135348-f...e-with-virtual/ :thumbsup:

I guess I have to give one thing to Bio, they know their audience.

Sad but true. That's why i tend to favour the writing and plot by MCA or Ziest. They seem to put romance as an afterthought, and sometimes even kicking and screaming if i would believe the words of Avellone, in their stories.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I had nothing against the guy until he misquoted me into saying I'm a pedo. Based on that and the follow-up, I'd say he's a turd of the first water.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

"He actually brings good and well thought-out critizism to the table"

No, no he doesn't. Nothing wrong with that either since it's true of 100% of us internet dweebs.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.