What you did today

Pidesco

I never remember leaving a final exam in college and feeling terrible about it, but as a History major most of my exams were just essays.

I did bad in a couple general ed exams like Biology, but I didn't care much since it wasn't my major. All I needed was a passing grade.

I used to love the carefree feeling after though. I still get that at the end of the school year as a teacher.

I remember having the problem that I was one of those annoying kids who'd made it through Secondary School and my GCSE's without ever needing to develop revision/note-taking skills (roughly High School to translate for the Americans). I'd soak things up in class and manage to get passing grades in exams without too much effort.

Then I hit college and that shift in pace left me in a very awkward position where the teachers all expected you to know how to do that stuff, and I got caught out trying to scrabble and figure out some of those basic techniques... That, and what was the bad academic practice of producing the right answers without showing the process of how I got there... That was something I always found awkward to do.

Of course, by that point I'd had years of teachers telling my parents that I drove them to distraction by not doing as much as they thought I was capable of. Even with the history teacher who complained what annoyed him was that he could hear me finishing his sentences when explaining about a new period of history ..but what really annoyed him was that I was always right. :shifty:

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Of course, by that point I'd had years of teachers telling my parents that I drove them to distraction by not doing as much as they thought I was capable of. Even with the history teacher who complained what annoyed him was that he could hear me finishing his sentences when explaining about a new period of history ..but what really annoyed him was that I was always right. :shifty:

As a History teacher, I find those kids annoying as well. I'm trying to tell a story here, quit interrupting. :p

As a History teacher, I find those kids annoying as well. I'm trying to tell a story here, quit interrupting. :p

There was also the "Normally when a child enters this school, if everyone in the teacher's staff room recognises a childs name by the time half-term has arrived we know it as either a really good thing or a really bad thing. For some reason, we can't decide what it means with your child."

:shifty:

For lack of a better thread to post this in:

Tonight's Lunar Eclipse Comes With a Rare Twist

By SPACE.com Staff

posted: 20 December 2010

06:53 am ET

A rare event not seen in 372 years will occur early Tuesday morning, when a total lunar eclipse coincides with the winter solstice. While you can't see the solstice, the eclipse promises to be an amazing spectacle.

And if that's not enough, a minor meteor shower is expected to send a few shooting stars through the darkened sky during the height of the eclipse.

Weather permitting, viewers in North and South America, as well as the northern and western parts of Europe, and a small area of northeast Asia should get a great view of the total eclipse of the moon.

On the East Coast of North America, the lunar eclipse begins half an hour after midnight on Tuesday; on the West Coast, it begins around 9:30 p.m. PST Monday. In all cases, the lunar eclipse will be observable before the moon sets in the west just as the sun is rising in the east. Maximum eclipse

And I'm not gonna be bale to see that because the sky is totally overcast and we have a winter storm warning.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

*errand time*

*shower/dress*

*get in car, turn the key*

*dead battery...again*

*sigh*

*wait for hubby to get home*

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Today I cleaned my BBQ, which was crazy dirty. Then I loaded it into the RV for our holiday trip. Then I started the RV, and the battery was dead. I hooked it up to the battery charger and about an hour later it was ready to roll. Then I washed it, which is crazy hard to do. I do it twice a year. I'd pay the shop to do it, but they want like $70. Checked the tires and everything was good.

Tomorrow I'll clean the inside and take it to the store to stock up for the trip. We are actually only going away for a night, but it is good to get the RV up and running, we haven't been able to use it much since the baby was born.

I'm finally done with the September-December period where I finished my MA, went on conference trips, submitted manuscripts, applied for PhD, wrote research proposals, moved back home, blah blah. Now there's not too much to do but wait to see if I get in anywhere awsum.

Meanwhile I think for the first time in my life I need to start exercising for the sake of it - life, youth & football got me by in my teens but now in front of the computer all day I can feel I've become unfit and slightly bloated. Weight-wise I was 110 pounds at age 17, now I'm 135 at 22. Theoretically that's going from underweight to normal but nevertheless. I'll just start running round the block in mornings... yes, there's some eery echoes of dear old Hades here but there's quite a few differences biologically. :sorcerer:

And no, I detest you filthy bourgeoisie with your hard-core running with iPods and tight fitting running clothes and hup hup hup hup. You exercise so you don't die, not to channel Federer through your toenails. Pfah.

I watched 3 episodes of Deadliest Warrior back to back. It's ****ing hilarious. I love the announcer, he's so into it.

:down: What I've heard of that show makes me think the entire show is hilarious in its absurdity.

And crimson, I being a cali transplant I'm amazed my car hasn't crapped out on me in this Iowa weather.

Edited by Calax

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Watched two Dogfights episodes last night, truly US airmen are Gods of War. Funny bit, though, US pilot and his wingman jump a Fw190 that's trailing smoke and running. So the pilots jump him, the German bails out and low altitude, bounces off the ground and dies in a nasty way. Then the US pilot recalls how bad he felt seeing the man die.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Finished cleaning out all the crap that had piled in my room for the last 4 years and put up a new desk. Spacey :thumbsup:

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Watched two Dogfights episodes last night, truly US airmen are Gods of War. Funny bit, though, US pilot and his wingman jump a Fw190 that's trailing smoke and running. So the pilots jump him, the German bails out and low altitude, bounces off the ground and dies in a nasty way. Then the US pilot recalls how bad he felt seeing the man die.

I remember reading something about the psychological effects of battle on the different branches of the armed services. It brought up how the air force as a rule are distanced from anyone they kill, so they don't often have quite the same.. visceral response to having killed people that infantry will usually have. Something about seeing a plane blow up, or go down in a crash doesn't create the same emotional response as actually seeing a human body directly.

Take that as you will.

Haven't actually felt like a productive day. Dealt with snow, some standard groceries. Did get about two hours of playing Fear 2, and learned a few new and interesting things from watching some Q.I... So it hasn't been a total loss.

(for those without access to some decent UK tv.. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/QI for the appropriate description.)

Edited by Raithe

Why didn't anyone tell me Amaretto was this delicious? I think I need to start having a drinking problem.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

At 50 hours I just finished my first play through of Fallout New Vegas. In every detail it was just fantastic... except the sudden crashes. It must be heart breaking for the devs to have such an awesome game let down by some issue with the saves [i saved the long way every 10 minutes and that seemed to tackle it].

I'm going to wait a while, but I am hugely looking forward to at least two other play throughs.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

At 50 hours I just finished my first play through of Fallout New Vegas. In every detail it was just fantastic... except the sudden crashes. It must be heart breaking for the devs to have such an awesome game let down by some issue with the saves [i saved the long way every 10 minutes and that seemed to tackle it].

I'm going to wait a while, but I am hugely looking forward to at least two other play throughs.

So who did you side with?

And for the bizarrely random trivia.. The nicknamed "Good Samaritan Law" in France, which compels bystanders to provide aid was actually put into effect by the Nazi's when they were controlled the Vichy government..

This time I went NCR all the way. Thought I could build my own state and aid them as an ally, but apparently not - although this was pretty well explained so no complaints from me.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Why didn't anyone tell me Amaretto was this delicious? I think I need to start having a drinking problem.

Because it's common knowledge and I haven't had Amaretto in years. :thumbsup:

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

girlfriend came over last night with some cookies she'd made for me, then when we got up this afternoon we went back to her place and had pancakes

definitely a keeper ^_^

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

I remember reading something about the psychological effects of battle on the different branches of the armed services. It brought up how the air force as a rule are distanced from anyone they kill, so they don't often have quite the same.. visceral response to having killed people that infantry will usually have. Something about seeing a plane blow up, or go down in a crash doesn't create the same emotional response as actually seeing a human body directly.

Take that as you will.

Yep, he mentioned that he saw it as plane on plane, rather than actually killing a guy. I just chuckled at his remorse after he jumped a helpless opponent, that and the triumphant way the narrator announces that kill made him an ace. That show is somewhat interesting, but too US-focused after a while (granted, easier to find US vets for them).

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra