RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!, just a dumping ground

I played the game during that time, it was pretty crazy. I have no idea whether that particular boss was bugged or not, or whether there was a real way to beat it, but those people are just stupid for doing something like that. If the boss was bugged then the company should be blamed for that, but the stupidity of the player staying up that long (I remember it as being longer than 8 hours as they took "shifts", but not sure) is just mind-boggling.

I really enjoyed my time with FFXI, especially when the game was still fresh and people were making their way not really having figured out the best strategies and all that. It was immensely fun to just adventure and explore. Once everyone figured out the strategies, started setting up schedules for events, basically "optimizing" everything, the game totally lost its charm for me.

I was initially interested in FFXIV but after reading player impressions I don't think I'll get it.

Besides, the idea of paying monthly fees to play is becoming more and more distant in my mind.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

you and me both. I just hope Square Enix makes FF11 free-to-play after ff 14 launches

btw, that boss was Absolute Virtue - a mob that was supposed to be kind of immortal. but ironically it was programmed to drop some very good stuff. so these japanese players found a bug and exploited it, still took them a very long time to kill it. then the bug got fixed. supposedly there is a way to make it vulnerable, but Square Enix just won't tell the players how >_<

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

you and me both. I just hope Square Enix makes FF11 free-to-play after ff 14 launches

btw, that boss was Absolute Virtue - a mob that was supposed to be kind of immortal. but ironically it was programmed to drop some very good stuff. so these japanese players found a bug and exploited it, still took them a very long time to kill it. then the bug got fixed. supposedly there is a way to make it vulnerable, but Square Enix just won't tell the players how >_<

Nope, here's the article

Square Enix Japan (FF Dissidia Director and FFXIII Concept Artist) working with North American company on major title [via GAF]

According to the slide, one and a half years have passed since development started. Over this time, development has progressed through the following phases:

- Conception: Six months spent looking into the key features of the product and creating a prototype.

- Vertical Slice: Six months spent making a 15 minute gameplay build at 70% quality.

- Pre-Production: Four months spent focusing the concept by playing the vertical slice build and getting feedback. Also, creation of the "pipeline" and other areas of the development environment.

The slide says that they are now in full development of the game. Assuming the positioning of the marker is to scale, the project appears to still be a ways out.

PAX Prime 2010 schdule

1283304924_se.jpg

Edited by funcroc

I remember an article about some people trying to kill a super hard boss in FFXI for like 8 hours straight and some of them passing out from exhaustion before giving up.

I bet it was longer then 8 hours as that's just your average day in the world of the MMOGs. Back in my more hardcore MMOGs days in early 2000's I think I spend 24+ hours straight in Asheron's Call Darktide server (PvP, and my guild needed defend good leveling spot... in retrospective it seem really stupid :lol: ). I probably couldn't do that anymore, as few years ago just your basic 4 hour raids in WoW were more then enough.

As for the bosses, FFXI and EQ probably still hold records of those ultra hardcore bosses that'll take ages to kill. Then again, it's not that different from wipefest raids when you die all the time, spend a lot of time running back (and clearing trash mobs). Currently I don't have any active MMOG subscriptions so I don't know if I still have tolerance for those.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

That post made me check whether Michael J Fox is actually still among the living.

This post made me want to say that 'Telltale games asked Michael J Fox if he was interested in performing in the role, but he just shook his head in reply'.

I think I'm feeling kind of nasty today. Probably comes from waking up to a phone call from the ex. Nothing like a sultry reminder of what you don't have any more. :p

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

The new ME2 DLC trailer's had me squeeing like, well, something that squees a lot. It's at the main ME page and a bunch of other places. Lookin' good!

It does look good. But I don't really care that Liara is involved.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

So Bio releases a Liara and a Morrigan DLC. Romance is in the air :)

Edited by Orogun01
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

It does look good. But I don't really care that Liara is involved.

Looks like her role in the DLC is crying and sudden mood swings.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

If the only intention of this DLC is to silence butthurt Liara fans, on the other hand...
Hey hey, I'm not a Liara fan, but her reunion scene was ****. Edited by Oner

So Bio releases a Liara and a Morrigan DLC. Romance is in the air :p

There's a thread on the Bio Dragon Age 2 forums, 'what do you like about DA2 that doesn't deal with the romances'. It's the shortest thread in the board. :)

I'm really stoked about the Shadow Broker DLC, the vehicle combat really had me jaw-dropping. I really hope they show us how they can do really good DLC! :)