RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!, just a dumping ground

Yup, I meant that post :(

Then again, I'll reiterate (I know you understand perfectly Flou, I just want to be sure anyone who reads and didn't see my previous post gets the clear picture) : that was just me making the connection. Keep in mind that the only thing Jason Bergman twitted was that he heard something cool was going to be announced at PAX (and who knows, maybe the people who told him changed their plans?).

Then again, I'll reiterate (I know you understand perfectly Flou, I just want to be sure anyone who reads and didn't see my previous post gets the clear picture) : that was just me making the connection. Keep in mind that the only thing Jason Bergman twitted was that he heard something cool was going to be announced at PAX (and who knows, maybe the people who told him changed their plans?).

Yup. Something cool not by Bethesda. Which I think led to the conclusion it might be Obsidian project since he's been working with Obsidian lately. But since we don't really know how well connected he is in the business... who knows. But at least we will won't have to wait long for PAX to start :(

I went even further with my "logical" thinking, seeing that Square Enix is annoucing something this week. Since Obsidian has been doing great with DS3 (according to SE's producer) it might have lead Square Enix picking up another Obsidian project.

Yes, I have way too much time on my hands (not for long though) and I love to speculate ;)

Hate the living, love the dead.

western developers seem eager to jump on the bandwagon now that Bioware showed them the way... bleh. in the meantime I can't get enough of IWD2...

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

this:

Ossian Studios has turned its RPG talents to creating a new fantasy game and world of its own design

every single "modern" RPG I played, that wasn't using one license or the other, proved to be a disaster design-wise. I can backtrack to Arcanum and start from there actually. that was one awful game. but that's beside the point.

my point was they try so hard to build an epic game on a tight budget, it will only hurt it in the end (not the company, sadly enough).

if only Mass Effect was KOTOR 3, and Dragon Age - NWN3 respectively, the world would be a better place. because the role system in both games was a complete failure

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I see way too many "original concepts" that are just retreads of the old concepts. Just now we have to learn new names for Orcs. And they are Orcs, you're not fooling anyone.

Sort of like those Jedi that are new and original fanfic concepts where they use the darkside, but only for the greater good, never for evil. Haven't seen that one before and totally not tired of it. Also one eye is different colored than the other.

They seem to be trying harder to distinguish themselves as different than actually do anything interesting.

I won't level such an accusation at Mass Effect, though. It's not a fascinating setting in my eyes, but I'm just happy that they're not fighting with melee weapons.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

The thing with Sci-fi is the ripoffs feel less generic. ME borrows from Battlestar Galactica a lot apprently, and definitely a ton of other sci fi series. It's just a lot easier to have things feel fresh in a space opera than in a gritty medieval setting.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I see way too many "original concepts" that are just retreads of the old concepts. Just now we have to learn new names for Orcs. And they are Orcs, you're not fooling anyone.

Sort of like those Jedi that are new and original fanfic concepts where they use the darkside, but only for the greater good, never for evil. Haven't seen that one before and totally not tired of it. Also one eye is different colored than the other.

They seem to be trying harder to distinguish themselves as different than actually do anything interesting.

I won't level such an accusation at Mass Effect, though. It's not a fascinating setting in my eyes, but I'm just happy that they're not fighting with melee weapons.

You know, just once I'd like to see a jedi use their force powers well in combat (think TFU but more integrated) JUST ONCE!

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

The thing with Sci-fi is the ripoffs feel less generic. ME borrows from Battlestar Galactica a lot apprently, and definitely a ton of other sci fi series. It's just a lot easier to have things feel fresh in a space opera than in a gritty medieval setting.

I think that it was basically their stated intention to creat a mish-mash of (80s) sci-fi. I think they succeeded a lot better in this than they did with the DAO setup.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Mass Effect is Halo, but with more Star Wars, Red Dwarf & Battlestar Galactica thrown on to make it appear deep. I wish sci-fi games would rip-off Dune at all, in lack of any true Dune RPG out there... though I guess the RTS games at least managed to capture the political strife of Dune very well (though House Ordos is complete bollocks).

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I am waiting for a fantasy game that pretends it's a historical game. remember that SPECIAL based game with terrible graphics and grinding but a very interesting setting? can't remember it's name... dragonheart or something. well, I think a medieval RPG without orcs, goblins, dragons and stuff would be a nice change of pace. maybe a game about crusaders. there's tons of material in the history books, and yet the developers keep recycling the same inspired-by-Tolkien settings

Walsingham said:

I am waiting for a fantasy game that pretends it's a historical game. remember that SPECIAL based game with terrible graphics and grinding but a very interesting setting? can't remember it's name... dragonheart or something. well, I think a medieval RPG without orcs, goblins, dragons and stuff would be a nice change of pace. maybe a game about crusaders. there's tons of material in the history books, and yet the developers keep recycling the same inspired-by-Tolkien settings

I think the game you're thinking of is Lionheart. Heard it's great in Barcelona, not so much after.

yeah, that one. I got stuck soon after Barcelona so I can't say if it's really that bad. never thought of replaying it, maybe I should.

Walsingham said: