RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!, just a dumping ground

Lionheart is great in Barcelona.

After Barcelona itis a pure hack and slash game where the hackin' and slashin' ain't so fun (unfortunately I don't think they balanced the system very well so for my money the stuff outside of Barcelona is just an incredible pain in the rear. Mobs of enemies and for the most part no easy way to deal with them).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

oh, in that case I guess I shouldn't :p

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I'm waiting for a Sci-Fi game that's Sci-Fi, not Space Opera or a Flight Sim. Something that doesn't do FTL, energy weapons, sound in space, humanoid aliens, psychic powers, and a billion other things.

And I would prefer it be a good one with some narrative focus, choices, and RPG staples. There's technically a lot of games that are harder than Star Wars, but the narrative in them is all excuse plot. Red Faction, Killzone, etc.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I'm waiting for a Sci-Fi game that's Sci-Fi

Does not compute.

Just a thought, but maybe you don't want a sci-fi game?

I am waiting for a fantasy game that pretends it's a historical game. remember that SPECIAL based game with terrible graphics and grinding but a very interesting setting? can't remember it's name... dragonheart or something. well, I think a medieval RPG without orcs, goblins, dragons and stuff would be a nice change of pace. maybe a game about crusaders. there's tons of material in the history books, and yet the developers keep recycling the same inspired-by-Tolkien settings

They already made Mount & Blade.

Edited by Purkake

I'm waiting for a Sci-Fi game that's Sci-Fi

Does not compute.

Just a thought, but maybe you don't want a sci-fi game?

What part of that doesn't compute? Is it the part where I'm wanting Sci-Fi or the part where what I want is Sci-Fi?

I read that as "not Sci-fi"

Makes a bit more sense now :)

What you're describing is pretty much Twentry minutes into the future.

Nah, what is describing is pure and simple hard sci-fi. To be fair, I understand why developers usually pick more outlandish takes on the genre.

It's simply easier to create compelling game mechanics that don't give a 'this don't fit' feeling if you have an unrealistic setting.

Not really. Would you consider Firefly 20 minutes into the future? As a setting, it fit Sci-Fi, but didn't focus on science related speculation.

What I'm describing is Sci-Fi that actually knows what Sci-Fi is about. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main...OfSciFiHardness

A rating of 4 or higher would be nice. Even 3 would be acceptable. Mass Effect and Star Wars hang at 2 on their best days.

Edited by Tale

I'd hardly qualify "countless more options than real life" as all that limited. Most sci fi writers don't even use what they have intelligently, settling for planet of hats and single biome planets. You can do all of that with a single planet and species, let alone an entire solar system, no rubber foreheads or FTL needed for that bit.

Edited by Tale

But real life is boring. Who wants to go to a virtual empty rock, even if it is modeled really well after a real empty rock?

What kind of a plot are you proposing? The only two that I can think of off the top of my head are 2001: Find ancient alien macguffin and Rendezvous with huge alien ship.

Not that I like planet of hats or rubber forehead aliens, but hardening up the sci-fi isn't going to magically give you more creativity

Edited by Purkake

I said more options than real life, not "exactly like real life." But even Earth alone is far more than an empty rock, having diverse biomes to explore by itself, jungles, oceans, deserts, more cities than you can shake a stick at. Add on terraforming concepts, domed/underground colonization, and space stations, for beyond earth destinations you've got well more than "empty rock."

The plots of harder sci-fi are quite varied. First contact, robot rebellion, transhuman war, interplanetary war, generation ship colonization and survival, etc.

Seems a bit more diverse than Space Opera's evil empires and aliens coming to destroy all life as you know it, which are largely used as retreads of fantasy tropes.

Edited by Tale

By empty rock, I was referring to other planets in our solar system.

The thing is that, plots for soft sci-fi can be just as varied. The problem here isn't the hardness of the sci-fi, but the lack of creativity on the developer's part. To keep the audience as wide as possible they're making derivative stuff out of already derivative stuff so that it's extra familiar and comfortable.

Edited by Purkake

After Barcelona itis a pure hack and slash game where the hackin' and slashin' ain't so fun (unfortunately I don't think they balanced the system very well so for my money the stuff outside of Barcelona is just an incredible pain in the rear. Mobs of enemies and for the most part no easy way to deal with them).

Has anyone actually managed to beat Lionheart? The same thing happened to me. I loved the Barcelona section but just got sick of the game once you leave.

Hm, the Collector's Edition of Tron Evolution has been announced.. it comes with a model lightcycle and stand..with a slide out drawer you can put the game in...

Of course, it's only going to be available for PS3 and Xbox360 apparently. And comes with the hefty fee of $130....

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Has anyone actually managed to beat Lionheart? The same thing happened to me. I loved the Barcelona section but just got sick of the game once you leave.

Yeah I did. It wasn't worth it, IMO.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

not sure if you guys are into Final Fantasy games, but the start of the open beta-test for FF 14 was scheduled for tomorrow. it got postponed though:

FINAL FANTASY XIV Open Beta Test, which is scheduled to begin at 02:00 (GMT) on Sept. 1, 2010, will be postponed due to a confirmation of critical bugs. New schedule will be released at a later date.

Along with the postponement of FINAL FANTASY XIV Open Beta Test, the issuing of registration code for FINAL FANTASY XIV Open Beta Test will be postponed as well. With the download of client software's installer, it will be suspended at 02:00 (GMT) on Sept. 1, 2010.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

for those of you who don't know, FF 14 is an indirect sequel to FF 11, which was a MMORPG (a pretty good one too). the new game will probably be toned down a bit, because FF 11 was initially for hardcore gamers only.

you can apply for participation here

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

I think I got to the second area of FF XI before realizing it was awful.

yeah, the Dunes make or break newbies >_< I grew to like it over time, leveled 20 different jobs there

Walsingham said:

By second area I mean I could see the starting city. Too much grind.

Edited by Tale