Think Twice?

How did you first hear about Alpha Protocol, what did it take to convince you this was a game worth buying. It seems much easier to bash a game these days in a review, than it is to find a good review. Did your opinion of the game change after you bought it? Myself, I read a great review on this game and that was the only review I thought I needed to convince me to buy. Afterwards I played it, and started wondering why it got such a good review, in fact I almost traded it in, then I came to this site and realised the potentially interesting and addicting gameplay I was so eager to trade in. Now I find more perfection than flaws. How do you feel? Do others opinions influence yours? Maybe not the best game of all time, but it definitely beats Uncharted(Worst game of all times).

"Let's take a walk on the wild side"-Jack Nicholson(Anger Management)

How did you first hear about Alpha Protocol, what did it take to convince you this was a game worth buying. It seems much easier to bash a game these days in a review, than it is to find a good review. Did your opinion of the game change after you bought it? Myself, I read a great review on this game and that was the only review I thought I needed to convince me to buy. Afterwards I played it, and started wondering why it got such a good review, in fact I almost traded it in, then I came to this site and realised the potentially interesting and addicting gameplay I was so eager to trade in. Now I find more perfection than flaws. How do you feel? Do others opinions influence yours? Maybe not the best game of all time, but it definitely beats Uncharted(Worst game of all times).

I followed this game for ~1.5 years before release, so I was going to buy it regardless. I must say, the initial negative reviews had me worried, but I found them to be mostly unfounded when I actually played the game.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

In one word my friend...

OBSIDIAN

With Bioware and Bethesda, Obsidian is one of the only company that can get me to PRE ORDER (thats right! not talking about wishee washee 100 reviews reading purchase here!) any game they are gracious enough to put on the market.

You'll find that there always will be people to complain about that detail, that glitch of what they could have done better.

My acid test is this...

Did I have fun playing this company previous titles???

yes.

Did they ever disapoint me by releasing a completely lame duck of a game? (the reference to EA is purely circumstencial here! I swear! Don't sue me!)

no

Enough said...

Peace.

I bought Final Fantasy 13 for those same reasons... Never been more disappointed in a Square Enix game.

Was bored one day and decided to watch a video of this Alpha Protocol thing (good title, immediately thought it must be some spy/Tom Clancy-kind-of-thriller game :lol:). "Nice vid" and just as closing the tab I saw Obsidian from the corner of my eye and I was like WHAT? :lol:

Obsidian Game.

Was released.

So obviously I would pick it up.

I only learned off all the bad press after already finishing it full once and was a little WTF? What game did they play instead? I mean, I didn't get Blue screens of death and 5 gamebreaking bugs like ME2 gave me after all (and a fun 2 day wait because my DLC account got accidentily erased. Joy!).

Not that ME2's a bad game, quite the contrary. But it's buggier, and overall AP is more enjoyable.

Edited by Hassat Hunter

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Well, Obsidian is the major reason I had an interest to look closely to the game. I've not heard about it for a long time.

Then, I've read a very bad review a knew the game was for me.

You know, bad reviews are also a way to be convinced by a game if the reviewer doesn't like the knid of game you like and likes the kind of game you don't like.

So in the end, it was the combination of Obsidian and bad reviews and I don't regret it.

On the contrary, me2 bored me to the point I forced myself to play it 'til the end. And what ending...

Promises of great reactivity.

A novel setting for an RPG.

Obsidian's expertise in making RPGs.

Then came the previews and interviews and most of the design decisions sounded good, so I decided to buy it.

I must admit, some reviews scared me a bit, but in the end I'm enjoying the game.

Granted, I was expecting a bit more, considering this was probably Obsidian's most important project.

I was intrigued at the idea of a modern day spy rpg (I still remember doing P&P spy gaming years ago. I remember my agent about to be ran over, decided to do a crazy thing and jumped on the hood and ran over the car, jumping off the back. I had a series of insane rolls to make and made them all much to the consternation of my DM. Good times).

Then I heard some things that I wasn't sure about - dialogue timer for example - that made me less interested.

Then when the first videos came out I began to get interested because I could see how the elements were going to work together.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

The reason: Obsidian, I've been playing since Fallout days... they've been craft masters of RPG games, despite the flaws in some games, Obsidian is a reference and a model in RPG creation.

As for the reviews, I never give them too much credit, I rather look for the elements I'm interested: replayability, character development and content; since AP seemed to deliver those elements, I decided to buy it.

Followed it through gaming mags, read some about it over the internet, said it would contain; C&C, not a fantasy or sci-fi setting, and it being Obsidian that developed it made me want to buy it. I went and bought it a few hours after I read PCGamers review on it that alleviated any fears I had about it being a buggy mess of bugs.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Followed the game since it was announced. Was actually pretty pissed when it was announced. I liked the real world setting but I hated that they went the "action-route" and all that. Really ended up liking the game though, one of the most fun games I've played in a long while.

I tend to really read up on games nowadays before I buy them, and having followed AP extensively I had a very good idea what to expect. Obviously, you never really *know*. But stuff like the gunplay, the action/skill point merged gameplay. I had a good idea of what to expect from that, and I had a blast with it.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I bought it because i love how Obsidian work with story in games, the first info that appeared in Gameinformer and the promo vid where a Mike had a man hanging in a building ; convinced me . Although the vid scenes never appeared in the game; i was very pleased with my buy

Quick response:

Obsidian. RPG. Interesting setting.

Longer response:

I've followed Obsidian's games since their first one, and have enjoyed every game they've made (yes, even the NWN2 OC). So, I tend to be interested in everything they do, including settings I'm not a big fan of (Aliens).

Plus, I like RPGs above all other game types. So I tend to buy all cRPGs released, more so if they have the developer tag of two of my favorites (BioWare and Obsidian).

The setting also seemed pretty interesting, since it was an escape from the typical stuff you'd expect RPGs to be set in.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

This is the first Obsidian game I ever owned, I'm one of those Playstation fanboys, and I do look forward to future releases, especially Fallout Vegas. What I like about this game are the choices. They aren't easy choices. It also leaves you questioning real life influences. Halbech seems close to either Microsoft, or the Bush Administration

Espionage RPG. "You had me at Hello. "

Made by Obsidian. I knew it was going to be good.

Having the release date get pushed back didn't deter me in the end. Honestly I didn't read a single review before purchasing the game. I did however, see advertisements for it. Back in April was it? GameStop was offering a assault weapons pack if you pre-order. Well, that sealed the deal. I pre-ordered back then. Though I would've wanted the stealth weapons pack if I'd have known about that. Either way. Win for Obsidian.

I also own many other Obsidian titles so I wasn't going to let this one pass by. Even if I hadn't pre-ordered.

Bought simply because the people at Obsidian have made games that I have enjoyed since the Black Isle days. Didn't really nned any other reason.

Halbech seems close to either Microsoft, or the Bush Administration

Halliburton/ Bechtel seems almost certain to be the inspiration for the name. So yeah, basically the Bush administration (ohohoho).

Bought simply because the people at Obsidian have made games that I have enjoyed since the Black Isle days. Didn't really nned any other reason.

Halbech seems close to either Microsoft, or the Bush Administration

Halliburton/ Bechtel seems almost certain to be the inspiration for the name. So yeah, basically the Bush administration (ohohoho).

So who would be the GwB of Alpha protocol? Marburg? Leland? The Gelato Shop guy?

I had been hyped for it since the Game Informer cover story in 2008. Despite the initial harsh reviews, I couldn't let that get in the way of my years of hype. And thank god, I made the right decision. Alpha Protocol is quite the gem.

Edited by Libertarian