Random video game news... Bring me a bucket, and I'll show you a bucket!

20 hours ago, Wormerine said:

Seems like they are moving from Godfather to The Sicilian. I dig it. 

Mafia is a curious IP - I adored father original but didn’t care much for the sequels (I am still to play Mafia3). But, Mafia Remake was very good, so I am hopeful they will land this one as well.

I adore Mafia 1, enough to play it with wheels and pedals and cramming myself around them to reach the keyboard and mouse for the shooty bits. 😂

I enjoyed Mafia 3, the main character was way more likeable. I still would've prefered the car handling mechanics to be Mafia 1 style, but I'll take it.

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

On 8/21/2024 at 12:44 AM, Wormerine said:

Teasers galore 

It looks excellent and brings back memories of KC:D 1, which is in my top 10 best games of all time

Wormie needless to say but  " day 1 purchase for sure " 🥂

• Thanks 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

On 8/21/2024 at 12:38 AM, Wormerine said:

Seems like they are moving from Godfather to The Sicilian. I dig it. 

Mafia is a curious IP - I adored father original but didn’t care much for the sequels (I am still to play Mafia3). But, Mafia Remake was very good, so I am hopeful they will land this one as well.

Nice, I have played all the Mafia games and I enjoyed them 

They remind me of a watered-down GTA game with less activities. Definitely going to keep my eye on this one 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

4 hours ago, BruceVC said:

They remind me of a watered-down GTA game with less activities.

That's a common comparison, though I always felt it missed what Mafia was aiming for (at least first two). They were never "open world" games as such, but linear narrative games with openworld as a backdrop. As such, I always like Mafia games (at least first two) far more than any GTA title. Red Dead Redemption2 probably was the sweet spot for me, bringing strong narrative focus, and nice world texture through side activities.

• Thanks 1

Apparently Ubisoft has not just decided to reset the Might and Magic canon to before they acquired the IP from 3DO, but to a point before HoMM4 and MM9 (y'know, when NWC decided to reset everything by exploding the planet).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Borderlands 4 teaser trailer.

Teaser is not gameplay and tells/shows nothing of value except "2025".  Eh, maybe. I will at least pray for it to be somewhere between BL2 and BL3 - eg, not worse than BL3. So I can stand being "forced" to play it when hubby wants to buy it.  😛  If it looks worse than BL3 - hubby may have to play alone.

========================
Also: Manor Lords update news: https://steamcommunity.com/app/1363080/discussions/0/4434443557916093138/

Food spoilage mechanic:

Each food type decays at a certain rate per month (e.g., fish decays faster than bread).
    Certain buildings affect spoilage (e.g., storing in a granary is better than storing in the workplace's pantry).
    Weather events can affect spoilage rates (e.g., droughts make food spoil quicker).

NoooOOOoooOOOooooo.
Please tell me there will be an option to disable it. :banghead:  :banghead:

• Like 3
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Those subtitles fit extremely well to that HUD. Watch the left side of the screen! Now look over there!

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

No strong feelings about the HUD (I would move the mini-map to the lower right, but that's about it), but first-person melee tends to be unpleasant. The subtitles having the speaker's name and a background are most welcome.

On 8/22/2024 at 11:05 PM, Humanoid said:

Apparently Ubisoft has not just decided to reset the Might and Magic canon to before they acquired the IP from 3DO, but to a point before HoMM4 and MM9 (y'know, when NWC decided to reset everything by exploding the planet).

Will it be reset into the time, when they released HoMaM without the need to be always online logged into their malware client? 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

The actual video for those who want to see Avowed.

Livefeed:

* 01:30 - oh hi Matt Mercer. Is Sargamis an Aloth is disguise? Or what I prefer to think is, that there was a being with a powerful soul in the past with the voice of Mercer, and as his soul split overtime all that go a piece of it end up with Mercer's voice.

* 03:10 - That's a weird camera angle unless we were playing an orlan. Cinematics seem to still need a bit of work. They seem a bit more elaborate than talking faces from Outer Worlds, but so far I prefered OW approach.

*6:20 - I much prefer when games take time to create a consistant, understandable language, rather than clarifying what's interactable and what's not through intrusive icons. IF they are necessary, I wish they were part of some highlight feature (like Witcher's sense, or Cyberpunk scanning) rather than constant part of the world.

*7:50 - attributes and skills look more or less as I expected. Looks alright

*14:13 combat looks alright. UI gets busy indeed. Seems clunky, I wonder if it will scale better at a high resolution. Reminds me a lot of XBOX360 era with its overly large, clunky UIs.

*20:30 - companion teleporting for the ability use... is it necessary? Couldn't he just attack from where he was standing?

*22:10 - ok, so inspite of intrusive quest pointers, I do appreciate that there isn't one directly pointing you to a thing that you are not supposed to know where it is.

*26:40 - animancers continue to be presented as complete maniacs. To be fair, Deadfire was better in that regard, but it is difficult to be on their side if they are presented like some fanatics.

Looks alright. I think the game will look very pretty in action. Combat looks ok. Quest aroused my interest at the end, so that's a good sign. Definitely an Eora's game, and it seems they are continuing a lot of PoE1&2 threads, at least in this sidequest.

• Like 3

On 8/21/2024 at 4:01 AM, Malcador said:

I'm ok with that. Can't make the same game so many times without switching things around, and they seem to keep a lot of stuff from 5-6 like hex grids, districts, and no stacking of units.

54 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

I'm ok with that. Can't make the same game so many times without switching things around, and they seem to keep a lot of stuff from 5-6 like hex grids, districts, and no stacking of units.

Humankind treated Civs as per-era choice. Layering different civ bonuses on top of each other throughout eras could be interesting. However, no doubt Civs will lose a bit of their identity. Curious how it will pan out in the end. 

The more I see of Avowed, the less interested I become.

Of the shown gameplay:

---if they don't allow massive shrinking UI scaling or turning elements on/off, dear lord, whyyyyyyyyy. UI's where I feel like I'm peering through a fence are not UI's I am going to play.
---that blue companion guy talks way too much.
---why do npc's always tell the chr. to pull a lever etc when either they could do it themselves or maybe that minion that's standing RIGHT NEXT TO THE LEVER could do it?
---the graphics are fine

• Haha 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

42 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

---why do npc's always tell the chr. to pull a lever etc when either they could do it themselves or maybe that minion that's standing RIGHT NEXT TO THE LEVER could do it?

Well, there used to be a time when one had to wait for NPCs to open doors for you. I liked it even less. Ideally, one would do a hybrid were NPCs will attept to do things, but players can also do them, but that would add variables that are likely not worth dealing with.

• Thanks 1

Enotria: The Last Song - Gamescom 2024 Trailer

The video shows mostly the combat, with a boss' intro cut-scene. The boss looks unusual (as far as an armoured lion/chimera can be unusual). I am curious how generous the parry timings are.

Edited by Hawke64
Grammar. One should not post in the morning.
  • Thanks 1

For whoever is interested.

Not my cup of tea, but I gave up on DA with DA:I so not much lost.

• Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Sad 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

4 hours ago, Sarex said:

For whoever is interested.

Not my cup of tea, but I gave up on DA with DA:I so not much lost.

It looks like a worse version of Dragon's Dogma or a more melee centeic Mass Effect. Too slow to be exciting and too fast to be tactical.

Edited by PK htiw klaw eriF
  • Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

14 hours ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

It looks like a worse version of Dragon's Dogma or a more melee centeic Mass Effect. Too slow to be exciting and too fast to be tactical.

Too sweet to be sour, too nice to be mean.

giphy.gif

Edited by Hurlshort
  • Haha 2

Shadow of the Road | Announcement Trailer

Shadow of the Road is a game developed by Another Angle, published by Owlcat Games. Shadow of the Road is an atmospheric gaming experience that artfully blends elements of cRPG and turn-based combat, allowing players to freely explore the rich tapestry of alternative 19th-century Japan. Immerse yourself in a world that combines tradition and modernity, Japanese mythology and steampunk technology. Enter the struggle between the Shogun and the Emperor, and delve into the captivating narratives, leading a diverse group of adventurers through a dynamic world where your decisions shape the destiny of this enchanting realm.
We hope that our community will enjoy Shadow of the Road as much as we do, because this game shares our key features and goals that we are trying to reach in any of our games: complex and interesting characters, deep narrative, unique setting and turn-based combat mechanics.

Judging by one of my old Steam posts getting random replies, the game is closer to a turn-based tactical stealth game, rather than a full CRPG, but I might be wrong. So, while I am not particularly interested (unless full stealth/no kills is an option), it might be good for the fans of the genre.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 1

6 hours ago, Hawke64 said:

Shadow of the Road | Announcement Trailer

Judging by one of my old Steam posts getting random replies, the game is closer to a turn-based tactical stealth game, rather than a full CRPG, but I might be wrong. So, while I am not particularly interested (unless full stealth/no kills is an option), it might be good for the fans of the genre.

It looks good and something different around lore and the Japanese setting, worth keeping an eye on 

John Milton