Random video game news... Games are the most elevated form of investigation

MrBrown

3 hours ago, Keyrock said:

@BruceVCYou could give Stardew Valley a try. It's essentially Animal Crossing sans Nintendo. You can even marry in that game.

I'm with @BruceVC on this, but I also want such games to depict people and the environment in a real way. I just cannot get into games that have cartoon-like art styles/imagery. Just can't seem to be able to gain immersion in the game if things don't look at least somewhat realistic (but not necessarily talking high-end graphics here).

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, kanisatha said:

I'm with @BruceVC on this, but I also want such games to depict people and the environment in a real way. I just cannot get into games that have cartoon-like art styles/imagery. Just can't seem to be able to gain immersion in the game if things don't look at least somewhat realistic (but not necessarily talking high-end graphics here).

Okay then, how about Jusant? I've posted pictures of it so you can judge for yourself if the art style is realistic enough for you. The game is super chill and there's zero violence. You climb. That's the game, you climb.

• Thanks 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

The last hurrah from Mimimi games will be out on Dec6, in form of a double DLCs for Shadow Gambit adding a new mini-campaign consisting of 6 new missions total. Both DLCs will introduce a new playable character and island each, and they will integrate with the base game (so new characters can be used for existing missions).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 11/21/2023 at 3:00 AM, BruceVC said:

Why must everything be about violence?????  

Because life is war.

• Haha 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Hands up those forum oldies who knew Grounded was one of Obsidian's biggest games (pun unintended)? 😂

Might have something to do with the game pass thing. It had 15 million players already a year ago...

https://www.gamedeveloper.com/business/obsidian-s-i-grounded-i-has-grown-to-15-million-players

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Gasp! 3

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I didn't *know* but I had noticed that Grounded was rather prominent among Obsidian games. It appeared like something that sneakily snuck past other games in popularity.

Well, now I *know* and in *knowing* I have become stronger.

• Haha 2

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

55 minutes ago, Lexx said:

Tbh the game goes completely past me. Except for a trailer and the advert stuff here on the forum, I know nothing about it.

I have Grounded and tried to play after it left EA, but the game crashed when I tried to start a new game, so it is sitting in the library at the moment. Will try again in a year or two.
Somehow, I did not expect that to be Obsidian's most popular title when there are Fallout: New Vegas, Pillars of Eternity, and The Outer Worlds (which I should replay with the DLC. I wish it was smaller, storage-wise).

On 11/23/2023 at 11:49 PM, melkathi said:

I didn't *know* but I had noticed that Grounded was rather prominent among Obsidian games. It appeared like something that sneakily snuck past other games in popularity.

Yup, it exploded out of the gate, and has been growing ever since. I tried it briefly, and hope to force myself to play more of it. Seems like a very well put together title, though it’s not something that I particularly enjoy.

• Thanks 1

Last Train Home has been released on GOG as well today:

https://www.gog.com/en/news/release_last_train_home

Czech made game, about Czecho-Slovak Legion trying to return home after WWI during the Soviet Revolution. Now even you can enjoy the Russkiy Mir first hand, without fear of being sent to Gulag!

Best to be enjoyed with a cup of tea and open window, to fully absorb the atmosphere of the setting.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Not yet. I keep wondering if I should try it.

Edit:

Tried it on my phone. Crappy run of the mill mobile game that has you endlessly upgrading heroes and hoping to find some ultra epic super-duper rare hero P2W.

Edited by melkathi
  • Thanks 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

https://us.diablo3.blizzard.com/en-us/blog/24031819

"The Shadow's Mantle

• Impale’s additional damage increased to 120,000% weapon damage from 75,000% to the first enemy hit, and to 40,000% from 25,000% to subsequent enemies."

D3's design approach always amuses me

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Not your average type of news, but about 6 months ago, this fella made this documentary called 'The Entire History of Video Games'.

It's 5 hours long but definitely worth watching.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.