Youtube recommendations, let's beat the algorithm

Sarex

Thanks a lot for that. Disney has a long history of having excellent craftsmen and technicians, but as far as creativity is concerned, it's not a very good company. J. R. R. Tolkien, for example, was quite scathing in his assessment of the Disney style as early as 1937 (so it's doubly sad that Peter Jackson's take on The Hobbit was so poor, as it could have been made into a pretty good film).

• Hmmm 1

5 hours ago, majestic said:

A perfect showcase for why it is generally accepted to not weaponize faster than light travel, or at least come up with some countermeasures, in soft science fiction. It renders everything meaningless, and you can tell from the look on Leia's face as it dawns on her just how many lives the Rebellion wasted in attacking two Death Stars conventionally. Or, to follow the train of thought, one has to wonder why the Empire built the Death Star in the first place, if all you need is to strap a hyperdrive to an asteroid to destroy planets. Rise of Skywalker features a scene where Merriadoc Brandybuck (okay, it just is a cameo by Dominic Monaghan, but it could be Merriadoc, and it would not be the silliest thing to happen in Rise of Skywalker) shows up to ask why they are even bothering to prepare an attack if they just could execute another Holdo maneuver (Holdo is Laura Dern's character in The Last Jedi). It is glossed over by stating that it was a one in a million chance to land the hit. It was worth a laugh at least.

I think weaponized ftl would be pretty cool as a concept, ftl asteroids or drone "suicide" bombers seem very much like something that could be used to bigger effect in scifi. But there's a difference in doing that from the jump and having cool purple hair lady do it out of nowhere with no setup because it does break the internal logic of Star Wars in the same way as having Sailor Alderaan show up and blast the imperial fleet with Alderaan Honeymoon Therapy Kiss. When I think about it, having Laura Dern do a much more conventional suicide bombing would have been a much more cinematic and fulfilling experience, but Disney Star Wars is more about the kewl cgi scenes that look like dog**** strewn together until they've got 2 hours or so.

On a side note, it's incredible that in less than a decade Disney has managed to make Star Wars go from being a massive movie behemoth to a much more niche (limited) series thing. I get that covid ****ed production and all that but it's wild to not see Disney even try to **** out a beeg movie every year after The Rise of Skywalker. I'm under no illusions that Star Wars is dead or even can die, but it certainly seems to have receded to the purgatory of Disney+.

• Hmmm 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

the "narrative" problems being described ain't real issues in star wars. honest, this is like the naruto run. star wars uses magic-- is not science. magic and imagination can fix almost any narrative issue you believe exist because o' ftl or light sabres or the force. such a recognition doesn't address all the other last jedi  blunders related to character development and the plethora o' pointless plot threads.  last jedi tried to rewrite star wars...much as chris avelone did with kotor 2 btw.  swtor did to kotor2 what episode ix did to last jedi.

let's assume once a vessel reaches ftl, it becomes immaterial insofar as real space... would kinda need be. 'course the star wars cartoons include a device which allows ftl ships to be pulled out o' the immaterium/warp/null space/etc as it were. why does such work? magic.

wanna star wars sufficient answer? space ships appear to need leave orbit to ftl, so the death star problem is easily circumvented. state as if it were a fact that the ftl weaponization works only in the very short acceleration phase before a vessel true enters warp, or whatever is the nonsense term in star wars. however, because o' death star mass, you got a relativistic problem which would lead to the "accelerating" vessel disincorporating if it attempted to ftl close enough to do any damage to a death star. return o' the jedi mentioned capital ships couldn't get close to the death star w/o being obliterated. smaller ships would obvious *snort* suffer relativistic disincorporation if they attempted such a move.

claim our explanation, made up off the cuff btw, is not sound science ignores fact it is at least as science sound as the whole ridiculous magic ftl  o' star wars. naruto run.

last jedi has problems. am not seeing weaponized ftl destroying canon as one 'o' em.

@xzar_monty  we did read against the day.

'pon reflection as the result o' you query, am convinced our appreciation o' against the day were only possible because we were reading as part o' a class. in all honesty, it is a terribly frustrating book which recycles pynchon themes and characters from other works. oh, and our talking heads reference in this post could work equal well for pynchon plot... most roads seeming lead to nowhere. nevertheless, 'cause o' the craftsmanship o' the author's prose, use o' humor, dialogue and unique imagery, coupled with the fact so much is happening in the novel beyond just the ted kaczynski technology boogeyman, a handful o' grad students hanging out in the university pub or a discussion group could spend many hours trying to glean new insights from against the day

am pretty sure an older Gromnir would roll his eyes at pynchon's repetitive and self-indulgent claptrap.

HA! Good Fun!

ps, since am kinda mentioning physics, am recalling we didn't post the 2023 edition o' the berkeley oppenheimer lecture.

dunno how interesting it will be save for a few... content is maybe not as paradigm shifting as were the previous share with lenny susskind, but am admitting we only had vague awareness o' how sound waves travelling through stars could measure mass, distance and age. am kinda out-of-date on this-- we thought six-month parallax measurements were kinda the only method for distance.

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

On 2/22/2024 at 8:18 PM, Gromnir said:

am pretty sure an older Gromnir would roll his eyes at pynchon's repetitive and self-indulgent claptrap.

There is no question that both Pynchon and John Barth can be too clever for their own good. But Pynchon is the more important one, and I think he will be remembered for Gravity's Rainbow and The Crying of Lot 49. At least for a fairly long while.

A literary friend of mine once pointed out that Pynchon is equally incapable of writing a poor sentence and a well-structured story. I believe there's plenty of truth in that.

Edited by xzar_monty

I was watching Oversimplified's recent 1st and 2nd parts on Hannibal - which are great fun, like all his history w/comedy-flair animations. But since he's always done at most 2-parters, I wasn't expecting the sort of cliffhanger ending. I want the 3rd part! Heh. He promises part3 won't take a year to do/finish but we shall see.

Anyway, that led me back down the ancient war history path once more. Lots of good ones on YT these days, with nice little animations/animated maps for troop movementstrategy and the like. So far I've liked HistoryMarche's a fair bit. If Oversimplified's comedic style isn't your thing, HistoryMarche's Battle of Cannae video (and their whole Hannibal series) is pretty good. Working my way through their Alexander conquest series.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

A German channel I follow recently released a video about the dark sides of YouTube, and oh boy, does that get weird. Weird, and really disturbing.

On YouTube, once you take a wrong turn, it seems like all the supposedly friendly family community rules fall off a cliff. While videos get demonetized or deleted for what YouTube considers bad words, it looks like there are loop holes the size of Mount Everest. There's a channel called Lilly, operated by the Only Fans model LillySlim. It has 5 videos and 25k subscribers, but her most popular video has, so far, generated over 875,000 views.

It is supposedly a brazilian waxing tutorial, except there is absolutely no waxing going on. She does have a cheap razor and uses it for hair removal, but the point of the video, which features four minutes of full frontal nudity under a shower, seems to be two-fold: it is an ad for her Only Fans and it caters to a shaving kink that seems to have an immense amount of playlists on YouTube (if you are into that, well, just search YouTube for brazilian waxing tutorial). The channel is almost two months old, so if YouTube had any issue with it, it would have been removed by now. Oh, and in case that needs to be said, the results are very much not suitable for work.

Well, but these videos are at least gated behind age checks and there are consenting adults involved and they are just at odds with the image Google is trying to project on YouTube. There's also a channel of a (now) seventh grade girl with 15000 subscribers who posts videos about her life, gymnastics and, uhm, swim wear and leotard try on hauls. The swim wear videos have views in the hundreds and hundreds of thousands, while every other video has views more in line with her subscriber count.

Just for the record, it is not just a fluke that happened once because a young girl posted some seemingly innocent content because she is into gymnastics and showed off her leotards. There is no way her parents are not the driving force behind those. Gee.

Edited by majestic
  • Sad 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

37 minutes ago, majestic said:

A German channel I follow recently released a video about the dark sides of YouTube, and oh boy, does that get weird. Weird, and really disturbing.

On YouTube, once you take a wrong turn, it seems like all the supposedly friendly family community rules fall off a cliff. While videos get demonetized or deleted for what YouTube considers bad words, it looks like there are loop holes the size of Mount Everest. There's a channel called Lilly, operated by the Only Fans model LillySlim. It has 5 videos and 25k subscribers, but her most popular video has, so far, generated over 875,000 views.

It is supposedly a brazilian waxing tutorial, except there is absolutely no waxing going on. She does have a cheap razor and uses it for hair removal, but the point of the video, which features four minutes of full frontal nudity under a shower, seems to be two-fold: it is an ad for her Only Fans and it caters to a shaving kink that seems to have an immense amount of playlists on YouTube (if you are into that, well, just search YouTube for brazilian waxing tutorial). The channel is almost two months old, so if YouTube had any issue with it, it would have been removed by now. Oh, and in case that needs to be said, the results are very much not suitable for work.

Well, but these videos are at least gated behind age checks and there are consenting adults involved and they are just at odds with the image Google is trying to project on YouTube. There's also a channel of a (now) seventh grade girl with 15000 subscribers who posts videos about her life, gymnastics and, uhm, swim wear and leotard try on hauls. The swim wear videos have views in the hundreds and hundreds of thousands, while every other video has views more in line with her subscriber count.

Just for the record, it is not just a fluke that happened once because a young girl posted some seemingly innocent content because she is into gymnastics and showed off her leotards. There is no way her parents are not the driving force behind those. Gee.

Sadly those are the tame ones. I remember hearing about a video of some Russian teenager beating his wife who was sadly killed at a later date. There are a lot of death and violence videos that don't get removed. Instagram is even worse on this point, because it offers those videos in your feed.

• Sad 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

1 hour ago, majestic said:

I'm not really surprised, though tiktok is still worse

It should be timestamped to the correct section I'm thinking about, but in case it should be at 8:57

• Gasp! 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

4 hours ago, majestic said:

This has been an issue for about the last ten years - that I know of. Elsagate and similarly disturbing content reached a very loud apogee back in 2017, but as always seems to be the case with censorship where there is both supply and demand, new guidelines and restrictions means that both the producers and the consumers just get more creative in how they communicate to one another. It's pretty grim, especially when you see the numbers on implicated creators, users, videos, and comments between YouTube and TikTok (and presumably other places as well). It's a whole new frontier of abuse and exploitation that these platforms clearly cannot even remotely keep up with, even with honest effort, and it's hard not to think that the public and political forces won't eventually catch wind of it and implement some very draconian measures in response - there doesn't seem to be too much else that could adequately deal with it. The idea of having to use your government-issued ID to register and upload videos to YouTube seems farcical and a little dystopian to me...but boy, every time I'm reminded of just how widespread this is, if it means less children being neglected, abused, and exploited (and less other children viewing this kind of stuff!), I guess I'd be pretty alright with not being able to casually upload to YouTube or anything similar ever again. There's also the uncomfortable fact in knowing that, you know, this sort of thing has clearly found a sizable audience that has internally normalized how they think and behave, so even if you deplatform all of it and them, they're still going to stick around and find other ways to interface with one another...but if you can make it way more difficult for them to attract new people and continue to grow, maybe you have at least a snowball in hell of a chance.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Gasp! 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

• 3 weeks later...

Shouldn't be surprised hat trivia would be interesting, but I was

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

One of those completely random encounters on YouTube... this Vietnamese woman and her German boyfriend (they're living in Germany) creates some sometimes hilarious video shorts on cultural differences 😁

• Haha 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Yeah, if you dive down the short there are a bunch of funny channels.

• Like 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

He's really going to need a new audio guy/gal, the whole thing was nearly brought to its knees because of bad audio mixing and the sound effects being badly timed and put together. Hell, even the overbearing music kind of sounds like it's underwater, it's all weak and muddy.

firefox_9AXJRrcQmR.png?rlkey=mxyol947ap9

Oh, he didn't have an audio guy/gal in the first place...uh, I guess he REALLY needs a new one, then, :p. Woof, nothing like some really bad audio to make you consciously realize how important all the major aspects of a production are, even in just a short piece like this...it can be tough when you're a one-man (or nearly) production and a certain element is just not your specialty. Though I don't know if the creator really intends to try to sell this as a concept to a studio - from the description, it doesn't really sound like it, but maybe you know something I don't.

(e): I just looked through the comments and I guess he might try to do just that, and I also wasn't surprised when he said he took inspiration from Tartakovsky's Primal for it.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

I watched it without sound on reddit originally, and that was what really sold me. If he manages to get a studio backing, then obviously that would be a a big win and the sound would be handled by someone else. Although I thought the narrator was a good campy choice for the clip. Reminded me of the snake for The Jungle Book for some reason.

Or maybe Skeletor:

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Man, I was just talking about this in the other thread, and my guy Nerrel comes out with a video to talk about it at the exact same time.

Screw you, James Cameron (and David Lynch, and Peter Jackson, and all the other hack frauds using garbage upscaling processes like this for """4K remasters"""), and screw all this AI nonsense only used to cheap out on doing actual work to sell this crap. Technology advancements seem to always just be used to make everything worse than they already were.

"Vasquez starts this shot as an amorphous blob before the AI starts to put a mouth on her cheek, then realizes 'no, that's not it' and then puts a cartoon butthole in, which would be a perfect fit for a little corn cob pipe by the way, and then it gives her Pennywise makeup to cap things off. Nailed it."

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 3

@Bartimeus as much as I love the old recoloured, upscaled and frame rate corrected footage from the late 1800's and start of the 1900's, this is indeed just creepy, making realism look like CGI movies

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

For the random "science" element...

• Like 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

7 hours ago, Raithe said:

For the random "science" element...

The best Dr Mike. Atleast the funniest 😄

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Disclaimer, not trying to start a religious war nor done any fact checking on his claims. I just listened to it the other day as background while painting miniatures. But his history of theology in this case was intriguing enough that it made me want to dig a bit deeper into the origin of the Abrahamic religions at a later date

I.e. from a warrior god in a larger pantheon to a god in small Caanite pantheon to a single god for the tribes of Israel....

• Like 1