What You've Done Today - Don't do today, what you can get someone else to do tomorrow

Gorgon

7 hours ago, Gorth said:

Not car keys, but door keys. Did that a while ago 😝

Β 

the other day we complete blanked on gene hackman's name. we could name a large percentage o' his films and we recalled his usmc service and his brief time at the university o' illinois. we 'mebered how mr. hackman's mother were canadian and that the last film he did before he quit acting were welcome to mooseport. etc. just couldn't recall his name.

we referred to our memory fail a "senior moment."

a house guest responded by observing how our blanking on gene hackman were no big deal, but that if we started leaving our keys in the fridge we should begin to worry.

HA! Good Fun!

• Gasp! 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

It is somehow unsettling that ChatGPT can easily produce believable output, including explanations, for code, yet verifying/debugging it takes quite a lot of time and effort. Especially when the components described have been deprecated since the training data for it was acquired.

Told my hubby not to die before me, but on the off chance he does, I guess the bright side is that I could finally move somewhere cool and rainy.Β  πŸ˜›

He's still no better. No worse overall, but no better. Still, could be a lot worse. Just an "old man" with a very bad back, now.
Trying to find a new chair or recliner or both that is more comfortable for him so he can at least sit for 2 hours without issue, and bought a new remote adjustable TV-monitor holder so it can go up and down with the stand/sit desk table. (55" TV's don't fit on that thing).

• Sad 1
β€œThings are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I went to the shooting range this morning for the first time in a while. I decided to do a bit of an experiment and try a variety of ammo to see how they compare. I tried Sellier & Bellot 180 grain full metal jacket (this is what I have been mostly using for target practice), Freedom Munitions 180 grain round nose flat point (full metal jacket), Nosler Defense 200 grain bonded jacketed hollow point, and Underwood Ammo 155 grain TAC-XP (jacketed hollow point). What I found was that unsurprisingly the Underwood ammo was loaded the hottest of the 4 (Underwood is one of the few ammo manufacturers that still loads 10mm Auto as hot as it was originally when it first released in the early 80s), the Freedom ammo was also loaded quite hot, the S&B was a little bit weaker, and the Nosler was significantly lighter shooting than the other 3. However, I was really impressed by how accurate the Nosler ammo was. It's not specifically labeled as match grade, but I could probably competition shoot with this ammo. It's very consistent.

My conclusions are as follows:

* I will continue to use the S&B as my primary target shooting ammo. It's (relatively) inexpensive and reliable.

* The Nosler ammo will be my home defense ammo, as it was before. it's the weakest of the 4, but it's still plenty powerful enough to drop a person. A heavy slow moving bullet is great for soft, fleshy targets.

* The Underwood ammo will be my going deep into the wilderness ammo. If you told me that I was going to have to defend myself from an unspecified threat and all I had was my Glock 40 and ammo of my choice, this is what I would choose as my ammo. This ammo is expensive but it is STOUT and is rated at 1400 fps muzzle velocity (probably slightly higher from my Glock 40 because of the 6" barrel where as I believe the velocity rating is based on a standard full size pistol, which typically has a 5" barrel). 1400 fps is very high velocity for a handgun round and it's well known that velocity defeats armor. The reason I bring this up is that you need to think of a bear as an armored target. Unless you are an incredible shot or really really lucky and put a bullet into the bear's eye, you are most likely shooting it somewhere in the torso where you have to penetrate the thick hide and a layer of fat that, in the case of a black bear, which is what we have round here, would typically be 3" to 7" thick, depending on the age of the bear and how well fed it is. In the case of a brown bear the layer of fat could get into double digits inches thickness. If I were somewhere with brown bears I might opt for some of Underwood's even lighter and higher velocity rounds. I believe they make a 135 grain that's rated for 1600 fps, which is extremely high velocity for a handgun round. As it stands the 155 grain TAC-XP ammo strikes a good balance of bullet weight and velocity that should be perfect in case I need to defend myself from a black bear. It would obviously absolutely massacre a wolf, deer, coyote, or anything else I would typically encounter in this part of the country.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈRFK Jr 2024πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

On 7/14/2023 at 7:25 AM, LadyCrimson said:

Told my hubby not to die before me, but on the off chance he does, I guess the bright side is that I could finally move somewhere cool and rainy.Β  πŸ˜›

He's still no better. No worse overall, but no better. Still, could be a lot worse. Just an "old man" with a very bad back, now.
Trying to find a new chair or recliner or both that is more comfortable for him so he can at least sit for 2 hours without issue, and bought a new remote adjustable TV-monitor holder so it can go up and down with the stand/sit desk table. (55" TV's don't fit on that thing).

back pain are horrible

best start install things allow people to watch tv or pc screen while laying on their bed

Passed my citizenship test today. Still need to do some ceremony where you swear loyalty or allegiance or some such to Australia πŸ‡¦πŸ‡ΊΒ 

• Like 6

β€œHe who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein
Β 

1 hour ago, Gorth said:

Passed my citizenship test today. Still need to do some ceremony where you swear loyalty or allegiance or some such to Australia πŸ‡¦πŸ‡ΊΒ 

Congrats. I assume you wrestle a crocodile at the ceremony.

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Hurlshort said:

Congrats. I assume you wrestle a crocodile at the ceremony.

And answer a few questions too... like how many cricket games did Donald Bradman win during his career and what is the ideal BBQ temperature for lamb sausages 😁

Β 

(thank you)

β€œHe who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein
Β 

3 hours ago, uuuhhii said:

another panic attack with quick heartbeat powerless limb shaking hand chestache and couldn't focus

why does it have to be so cliche

only thing missing is waking up with sweat and quick breathing

There's really nothing quite like your brain telling you that you're dying when you're perfectly fine (or some other equally calamitous feeling or imagining). For anyone who hasn't ever experienced it, I fully recommend trying it out at least once.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

25 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

There's really nothing quite like your brain telling you that you're dying when you're perfectly fine (or some other equally calamitous feeling or imagining). For anyone who hasn't ever experienced it, I fully recommend trying it out at least once.

I'm perfectly ok with waking up thinking I have a heart attack, but it being acid reflux. So no thank you. :)

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

More in general, but I've gotten into Gunpla. I would attach photos but I don't know how in this new system.

• Like 1

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Β 

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I took advantage of an unusually cool July morning to hike up to King's Pinnacle in Crowder's Mountain State Park.

ebInYJE.jpeg

xdq7g94.jpeg

JZBTmzA.jpeg

lpYN4Du.jpeg

5O26Byp.jpeg

CmTNf6k.jpeg

RfAWXHq.jpeg

• Like 6

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈRFK Jr 2024πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

The day is off to a fantastic start when you come to the office and see that the report batch processing died over the weekend, and now there's a backlog of super important and super, super, super urgent reports that were not sent out. Reports that nobody actually reads. Nonetheless, there's always groaning and complaining when one of them does not arrive on time. *sigh*

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

@Gfted1

You will be proud of me, I did my own DIY again but this time plumbing. I thought of you and your daughter

My sinks in the kitchen wereΒ  draining slowing and I did some Internet research and I watched a video about using a plunger. Instead of phoningΒ  a plumber I followed the video instructions and I used a plunger and I cleared the blocked sinkΒ :dancing:

Im getting good, Im close to advanced DIY skillsΒ 

Β 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John MiltonΒ 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -Β  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Β 

Β 

4 hours ago, BruceVC said:

My sinks in the kitchen wereΒ  draining slowing and I did some Internet research and I watched a video about using a plunger. Instead of phoningΒ  a plumber I followed the video instructions and I used a plunger and I cleared the blocked sinkΒ :dancing:

Nice! A couple hundred Rand back in your pocket for little to no effort! Go treat yourself to dinner and drinks.

Next up, how to remove and clean a "P" trap. :pΒ 

• Haha 1

On 7/24/2023 at 3:23 AM, majestic said:

The day is off to a fantastic start when you come to the office and see that the report batch processing died over the weekend, and now there's a backlog of super important and super, super, super urgent reports that were not sent out. Reports that nobody actually reads. Nonetheless, there's always groaning and complaining when one of them does not arrive on time. *sigh*

Came in and found that a DB job has been failing every day for 6 months, and no one has noticed.Β  Head dev asked pertitent question of "What does this job actually do then ?"

I am beginning to think that 90% of operations in my company don't actually DO anything

• Haha 3

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

6 hours ago, uuuhhii said:

so apparently cactus are dying from the heat now

behold the twilight of man
let the dark harvest begin

The day you hear a dolphin thank you for all the fish, it's time to finish any outstanding business and wrap things up asap 😁

Β