What You've Done Today - Don't do today, what you can get someone else to do tomorrow

Gorgon

On 6/10/2023 at 8:13 AM, Gfted1 said:

Bought a 65" tv for the master bedroom. Im champing at the bit to hang it on the wall but now my wife wants to paint the wall first. :facepalm: I has a sad.

I talked my wife off the ledge with the painting and we hung that bad boy yesterday. w00t! We had to rearrange the entire bedroom to accommodate the position of the tv but its freaking glorious. We got this one on sale for $398.00: Philips 65" Class 4K Ultra HD (2160p) Android Smart LED TV with Google Assistant (65PFL5766/F7) - Walmart.com. Interestingly, the tv wall mount was delivered the same day I ordered it so we must have an Amazon warehouse nearby.

Also, I can turn it on/off by talking to my Google hub so now I dont have to press the power button like a caveman. :lol:

• Like 2

Popping my head back in on the 20th anniversary.

Got deep into Gunpla (plastic gundam model kits). Working for a logistics company in the midwest and once again single. There's a whole giant story there.

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 2

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

On 6/13/2023 at 12:18 AM, Gfted1 said:

I talked my wife off the ledge with the painting and we hung that bad boy yesterday. w00t! We had to rearrange the entire bedroom to accommodate the position of the tv but its freaking glorious. We got this one on sale for $398.00: Philips 65" Class 4K Ultra HD (2160p) Android Smart LED TV with Google Assistant (65PFL5766/F7) - Walmart.com. Interestingly, the tv wall mount was delivered the same day I ordered it so we must have an Amazon warehouse nearby.

Also, I can turn it on/off by talking to my Google hub so now I dont have to press the power button like a caveman. :lol:

It doesn't worry at all that Bezos is listening to everything happening in your bedroom?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

7 hours ago, Gorth said:

It doesn't worry at all that Bezos is listening to everything happening in your bedroom?

Bezos has possessed a master key for my life for years, that poor bastage. :lol: But in the "first world problems" category, we sleep with the tv on just for background noise, and the extra light coming from the huge screen is a little distracting when were trying to fall asleep. And one of my cats is a little spooked by new screen on the wall. She keeps staring at it warily. :lol:

• Like 1

as o' today, snow peas are available from a local farm, so for the next month am gonna be on a snow pea diet. got a handful o' recipes which star the delectable legume, but they are so good we typical just steam 'em for 1:30 to 1:45 and perhaps sprinkle with a bit o' salt.  

we also purchased a fair amount o' fantastic looking pickling cucumbers.

'cause of late season cold rain, july 8 is projected first day corn will be sold local. melons and some o' the best poblano peppers anywhere should also be purchasable sooner rather than later. once tomatoes begin being harvested here in the valley, we enter a kinda produce nirvana for a couple months.

ordinarily we would take advantage o' a u-pick option at .40¢ per lb.--$20 minimum. unfortunate we had an injury last december which prevents us from bending our right knee more than a tiny fraction, so squatting to pick veggies is nigh impossible and far too much effort. even so, u-pick won't start until the aforementioned july 8 and the snow peas is not an option through u-pick regardless. 

snow peas typical is sold local for a bit more than a month...

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

"we never harvested a single leaf"

am finally able to appreciate the final scene from planet of the apes (1968.)

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Going to Spiderman tonight with a friend. Should be good. Roommate should be earning decent money starting next week so hopefully she will be able to start paying rent (Just having her here without rent is great for my mental health).

Also another friend is gonna help me figure out how to take better care of my great grandfathers 1900ish foot Artillery sword.

• Like 3

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Lol, we wanted to use it, there just wasnt anything in our normal dinner routine that called for basil. :lol: It was pretty low maintenance so I was happy to keep it as a houseplant. Now the tomato plants...theyre finicky (and thirsty) so I have to keep an eye on them. Im also think theres a nearby drey and Im worried the squirrels will get to them before I can.

297.png

It's 100°F/38°C with a "feels like" of 115°F/46°C. Needless to say I am sweating my ass off.

• Gasp! 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Since incorporating the steel mace into my workout routine (already featuring dumbbells, barbells, and kettlebells) I managed to push past a plateau and I feel invigorated. I'm at roughly my peak strength level last achieved decades ago in my 20s. I feel fantastic and swinging that mace around is not only effective but legitimately fun. I have to stop myself to keep from overdoing it with 360 swings and overhead chops (bicep curls into hunters are less fun but I still do them). I'm already considering picking up a Bulgarian Bag to further expand my exercise repertoire. 

Anyway, to anyone considering getting a steel mace (macebell), I very much recommend it. A tip from my experience: When you start out choke up on the grip a lot then slide your hands closer and closer to the end of the handle to find the sweet spot where you can do the exercise but just barely. As you get stronger and more comfortable with the mace you will grip it closer and closer to the end of the handle. I've moved my hands from 1/3 of the way up the handle to nearly all the way at the end in less than a month on 360 swings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Highlight of day - rewatching 1986' Transformers.  The DVD commentary is good, some guy from the UK runs a fan site, knows about the original ideas, etc.  Ultra Magnus being drawn and quartered should have been in the film, pft, stupid wussy children.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Hubby's back no better. He's been trying to get into Kaiser for a check - to make sure it's not something unexpected (organ disease, spine bone spurs that need surgery, whatever), and/or just to get confirmation that it's simply a matter of hoping re: physical therapy routines etc - but since he's not actually dying or even urgent-care they keep telling him they have "nothing (appointment times) available, we'll get back to you." And so far they have not gotten back to him.   :getlost:  He's put his sit-stand-motored KB/mouse table to standing height and we raisedf his big TV/100lb stand to max, so he works most of the time standing. Does an hour of yoga stretches and other exercises in the morning, and shorter bursts off and on the rest of the day.  I am now the strong one in our 2-person family. Don't you dare touch that box/bag/chair, I will move/lift everything! And wrench all the low lying thingies that need wrenching! Easier for me anyway, I am closer to the ground to begin with.  *flexes a bicep*

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Sad 3
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

It rained really badly last night and this morning.

A little cat (I would say around 5 months old) in the vacant lot next door panicked, climbed the wall, climbed the two meter mesh and, reaching the top, realized it was easier to get down from my side.

Problem is, she can't get out that way, as there is nothing to step on on the other side, so trying to get across the mesh (and barb wire the neighbours put up) has her scared of impaling herself.

After hours of her crying and me trying to figure out a way of getting her down, another cat got tired of the situation, climbed up and tried to show her how to get down. Problem: the other cat found herself in the same predicament.

A friend came over and we set up a ladder, I held the ladder and he climbed up, bent the bottom of the mesh, so they can slip out underneath.

The older cat did just that. The younger was still hiding.

We decided that with time and us gone, she'd slip out the same way.

So I started gathering up our stuff.

As my back was turned, he grabbed the ladder to do another attempt.

He leaned it against the wall, instead of opening it up properly.

He leaned it against the wall while on a wet glass floor.

Suddenly I heard a BAM.

I rushed out. Found him lying on the floor.

Probably broke his ankle.

Waiting to hear how things went at the hospital.

If the cat got the XP for downing him, she probably leveled up.

• Gasp! 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Happy Juneteenth to you Americans, I get a quieter day of work because of it. 

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

We are on vacation for the week in beautiful Burbank California. My daughter wanted to hike to the Hollywood sign. There is an easy trail that is a mostly paved road to get there, or there is a technical and strenuous ridgeline trail that makes you climb in certain spots and skirts the edge of a cliff. You can imagine which one I chose. 😆

We had a great time on our 5+ mile hike and everyone survived. 

Screenshot_20230620_111256_Strava.thumb.jpg.a237f18ae4ce14263c8f4de51b446a4c.jpg

Edited by Hurlshort
  • Like 1

Got a work outing to TankFest 2023 at the Tank Museum. Established in 1947, with nearly 300 vehicles from across 26 odd countries. A chunk of which are in working condition, including such as the German Tiger 1, and the British WWI Mark I.

Technically it was started in 1923, so it's been around for a century, but the 1947 date is when it was opened to the public.

20230623_095513.jpg?width=644&height=644

20230623_135648.jpg?width=644&height=644

20230623_135644.jpg?width=644&height=644

20230623_100857.png?width=644&height=644

20230623_103547.jpg?width=644&height=644

20230623_134541.jpg?width=644&height=644

20230623_131330.jpg?width=644&height=644

• Like 4

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Nice, you got to see Blitzwing

Tried to sleep. Didn't succeed. Above Snakes new mode isn't out yet (is it the 29th yet?). So I made several new "best" 7 Days to Die random maps. Now it is daylight and I'm going to check on the small sunflowers growing the backyard that we let/did grow on a whim.

Hubby finally got a video-face call with a doc, which led to an xray and a physical therapy consult. We shall see.
And they gave him one of those big plastic bouncy exercise ball thingies to lie on re: spine decompression moments. Every time I look at it I want to put a handle on it and use it as a hoppity hop. :p

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I mentioned our Hollywood sign hike, but we also visited the new Mario World, went to the Academy of Motion Pictures Museum, and went to a extremely good Crab house is Korea Town while we were in LA this last week. Here are some pics:

352753264_10224297659093820_854421930261

355643509_10224297659733836_878548811141

352706711_10224297661653884_336974481692

355684107_10224297661773887_877133603474

353025151_10224300642688408_484075997047

355135295_10224286646938523_176601520770

• Like 6

Took my son to the aquarium for the first time and he really liked it but got freaked out when trying to feed the stingrays. He pulled his hand back too quickly and scared them and he got splashed. Also mowed the back yard and now about to go eat some marinated red and green chili pork tacos.

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 2

Free games updated 3/4/21