What You've Done Today - Don't do today, what you can get someone else to do tomorrow

Gorgon

5 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Only tangentially related, and I don't know if they still do this now, but many years back, they would once or twice a year send one of their manly man reps to try to recruit people straight out of high school. Never understood why people seemed to gravitate towards them - always thought they were right nasty creeps, so I avoided them like the plague. I remember the very last one I ever saw before graduating had apparently been told specifically to look out for me and ended up following me around hounded me into filling out and signing some kind of form. Don't remember exactly what it was for, but he tried to sell it to me as some kind of "we have an active interest in you and we would very much like for you to reciprocate that interest". I did and returned it to him, but he didn't notice that I had printed and signed a completely bogus name, :shrugz:. As if I would ever do well in any kind of military setting...don't know what the bloody school staff (or whoever responsible) was telling them for him to have specifically sought out me, but the whole idea was utterly ludicrous.

It was easier back in the 80's in Denmark. The draft was a thing, and whether or not you joined the military was a lottery thing (quite literally, you drew a rolled up piece of paper from a barrel). High numbers went free, mid range numbers went to the civil defense (I did) and low numbers end up in the military. I guess The US is not too keen on reintroducing the draft after Vietnam?

Edit: I could have excused my self from it, as I had bad enough vision, that I could get exempt on medical grounds, but I was never really one to shirk what I felt was everybody's responsibility and so participated in the lottery.

• Like 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

1 hour ago, Gorth said:

It was easier back in the 80's in Denmark. The draft was a thing, and whether or not you joined the military was a lottery thing (quite literally, you drew a rolled up piece of paper from a barrel). High numbers went free, mid range numbers went to the civil defense (I did) and low numbers end up in the military. I guess The US is not too keen on reintroducing the draft after Vietnam?

Edit: I could have excused my self from it, as I had bad enough vision, that I could get exempt on medical grounds, but I was never really one to shirk what I felt was everybody's responsibility and so participated in the lottery.

Gorth never apologize for caring about your country and doing your civic duty like military service or something similar

We need more of that  in all of societies 8)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

1 hour ago, BruceVC said:

Gorth never apologize for caring about your country and doing your civic duty like military service or something similar

We need more of that  in all of societies 8)

You need the context... the cold war was running very hot at the time and the end of the world was an imminent thing....

• Thanks 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

15 hours ago, Keyrock said:

I went to a BBQ yesterday. The weather was spectacular, save for the fact that it was hot as ****, but it's July in Cackalacky, it comes with the territory. My friend Thiago is the grill master. We bring him the meats and he grills them; my dude is a freakin' magician on the grill, plus he makes amazing chimichurri. An utterly obscene amount of food, meat and otherwise, was consumed. I brought kielbasa from the Polish store, there was steak, wings, pork belly, and the surprise hit from the previous cookout, chicken hearts. After I got home I was in a food induced coma on the couch for several hours. Good times!

Sounds  absolutely fantastic, we have  a braai culture in SA and thats similar to what you described as US barbeque culture. I love chicken hearts, vastly underrated 🍗 

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Doing a momentary pause in between the work things to look up some leatherworking tools. Then realise that they're being sold by a guy in Bulgaria with a storefront titled "D & S Ltd"...

The perils of getting into leatherworking is that half the useful hobbycraft tools for it end up costing half the price of the item for shipping since they tend to be shipped from America or Eastern Europe...

• Haha 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Nothing like a server process not working for 2 days and somehow no one notices.  Either no one actually uses our product or they are all very forgiving.

• Haha 2
  • Gasp! 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Our neighbors made fireworks noise every night, for over a week, and last night it was so loud sitting outside was impossible. It wasn't the modest pops and nice lightshow of last year (the guy who did that moved), mostly eardrum bursting loud explosives. Now that the actual day has come and gone maybe it'll be quiet again. I wonder how much they all spend on fireworks. It must be quite a lot.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

If I had more disposable income I'd buy a lot of fireworks to setoff over the rest of the week in retaliation for being kept up all damn night before I have to go into work. Call me crazy, but it makes more sense to set off fireworks on July 3rd or the midnight of the 4th like you would for New Years. Let me enjoy a day off instead of waking up exhausted for work.

Somewhat relevant, but my phone's has started giving me a moisture alarm whenever it's plugged into my vehicle. Tested with different cables and another phone to make sure, unfortunately the issue is definitely with the phone itself. So any firework money gets to go to a new phone instead of petty revenge against neighbors. Oh well.

• Gasp! 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

13 hours ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

If I had more disposable income I'd buy a lot of fireworks to setoff over the rest of the week in retaliation for being kept up all damn night before I have to go into work.

If I had more disposable income, I'd buy a lot of hellfire missiles that immediately target and blow up anybody setting off fireworks past 11.

• Like 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

If I had more disposable income, I'd buy a lot of hellfire missiles that immediately target and blow up anybody setting off fireworks past 11.

I'm trying not to commit war crimes here.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

is three days a year am ok with neighbors setting off fireworks w/o any kinda notice given until 12:30am: new years, chinese new year, fourth (fifth) of july. 

keep in mind we got a dog who is terrified by fireworks... and thunder, large planes, and even heavy wind/rain. terrified is understating. even so, am understanding 'bout fireworks for three days outta the year. we figure just 'cause our dog has issues or 'cause we need for sleep before work there is nevertheless an unspoken compact 'tween neighbors which implicit requires us to put up with some stuff we don't like if only 'cause there is a chance one day we will do something our neighbors don't appreciate and a bit o' reciprocal understanding would be welcome at such times. 

converse, fireworks a week before and after the 4th? fireworks at 2am? am an easygoing person, but there needs be limits.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

People here set off fireworks days after the event.  Not sure why, I guess they have an expiry date or something ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Once again we had 2 full weeks of fireworks leading up to the 4th and fireworks every day since. It wouldn't be so bad if they stopped at a decent hour but they go until early in the AM. Keeps my son up, scares my dogs, and occasionally makes my PTSD flare up.

Edited by ShadySands
  • Sad 4

Free games updated 3/4/21

Around here it's guaranteed to have fireworks being shot off (barring rain) as soon as fireworks are able to be sold and maybe a week after. I could deal with it if they stopped at 11 but they like to push it till the am. At least it wasn't until 3am like July 5th.

Juggling through reading some heavy in-depth technical reports for work, with appropriate breaks to do some leatherworking as I craft this birthday present for a friend...

20230706_175047.jpg?width=644&height=644

20230707_153805.jpg?width=644&height=644

• Like 5

We always have people set off fireworks round here for a week prior and a week past July 4th. Luckily, I have no trouble sleeping through fireworks going off so it's whatever.

I got home from work and really really really felt like skipping the weight lifting. As punishment for my moment of laziness and being a little bitch, I hit the weights extra hard. It's all about starting, doing that first set. Once the adrenaline starts flowing the rest of the workout is easy. I'm also happy to report that I'm now doing all exercises with the 20 lbs steel mace gripping it at the very end of the handle, as opposed to choked up 1/3 of the way up the handle how I started. At some point I'll likely pick up a 25 or 30 lbs steel mace.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

And for everyone's general entertainment, how it all ended:

20230708_175814.png?width=644&height=644

Of course, now I have to be squinty eyed on whether I made it the right size for my friend. I guess we will find out when it's her birthday next month.

• Like 3

^ Pretty cool, pretty cool, Raithe. :)

As to my morning:

--gets groceries: puts car keys in the fridge
--does laundry: tosses four folded pairs of socks in the garbage can instead of the clothes basket before realizing
--"where are my main glasses? Screw it I'll just use the older pair, here." ... an hour later..."Where are either of my pairs of glasses? Honey? Seen my glasses?" (one on the back edge of the couch, one on the floor by a to-recycle paper bin)

One of those days.

• Thanks 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

2 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

--gets groceries: puts car keys in the fridge

--does laundry: tosses four folded pairs of socks in the garbage can instead of the clothes basket before realizing

Not car keys, but door keys. Did that a while ago 😝

I can't "beat" your four folded pair of socks. I'll have to settle for just vacuuming a single, perfectly good sock leaving it's spouse a young widow(er) 😢

Yes, I thought I had pushed the laundry pile on the floor sufficiently far away from the spot of carpet I was vacuuming. Turned out the laundry pile wasn't far enough away 🙄