What You've Done Today - Don't do today, what you can get someone else to do tomorrow

Gorgon

3 hours ago, Gorth said:

The worst is Wikipedia... the number of open tabs just keep exploding. Every time you try to close a tab, you've open 2-3 new ones with new subjects to read 😠

Pfft, wikipedia's got nothing on TV tropes πŸ˜„

• Haha 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

On 5/13/2023 at 7:27 AM, Gorth said:

The worst is Wikipedia... the number of open tabs just keep exploding. Every time you try to close a tab, you've open 2-3 new ones with new subjects to read 😠

344354394_217554120984865_47525316966685

• Haha 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

We finished painting and decorating the master bathroom and it turned out really nice. I love my new toilet paper holder with the flat surface on top for my phone. :lol:

Had the family over yesterday for Mothers Day lunch so I grilled some brats and sausages and everyone brought over a plate of appetizers.

• Like 2

Newer/current Firefox: I noticed when you play media pages (like YouTube), there is now this extra text line of "AutoplayBlocked" or "Playing" etc that appears/disappears below the tab title, making the tab headers bounce up and down in height. Visually annoying.

So I had to go back into that AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\#####.default-release\chrome folder that I createdΒ  (to get rid of the bookmark menu spacing) and add the below script bit to the userChrome.css fileΒ 

https://github.com/MrOtherGuy/firefox-csshacks/blob/master/chrome/inline_tab_audio_icons.css

Seems to work perfectly. Petty annoyance averted, thanks internet. 😁

• Like 2
β€œThings are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

When I fist load youtube there is significant lag in loading the video. Seems like it's waiting to load the whole page. Especially obvious in private mode.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

On 5/16/2023 at 3:41 PM, Sarex said:

When I fist load youtube there is significant lag in loading the video. Seems like it's waiting to load the whole page. Especially obvious in private mode.

It is worse in Chrome, with the auto-play "feature" of videos (not YouTube's auto-play, but just videos popping off instantly) it begins playing ads, then loads something else on the page, refreshes, the ad (or some other ad, depending on Google's mood) starts to play again, and then you get the cookie notification. That one also reloads the page, and then you get to see the third ad - and the video.

The Shorts page is different, that loads, presents the cookie notification and then just plays the page video.

Have a habit of trying out new stuff on YouTube in private windows. I still keep getting recommendations from The Critical Drinker just because I once watched a video on Star Trek: Picard. Guy argues that the series is bad because a female admiral gives lip to Picard. Can't really have seen any other Star Trek, because the fandom does not call Admiral Bitcheyev like that for no reason. :facepalm: Picard sucks because it is woke, not because the writing is terrible. You heard it here first, folks!

And yes, I know that there is a function that would allow me to permanently ban recommendations from any channel, but that is reserved for Linus Tech Tips. :yes:

In other news, there's an annual event that happens where I figure "I should change that" but then I never follow through. Got a letter with my church's tithing "request", i.e. the annual church tax, not an actual tithe, and about the only piece of legislation still left of our brief stint in the Third Reich. I keep wanting to simply drop my confession, but then I never do. In the past, this had at least an actual benefit in having an extra public holiday, but that has since been changed after the ECJ found it discriminatory towards other religions. The actual idea was to give everyone else off, but the government of course did the sensible thing and just removed it entirely. Poor companies and their record profits cannot cope with one day less work per year for others. Nope. Investors would have fled the country in droves.

They're really nice about it too, in the letter, saying that they readily understand when people in these trying times cannot pay their church tax without it being a danger to their existance, so they offer a 5% discount and a payment plan, which requires that I grant them a SEPA direct debit mandate. Sure guys. How... noble of you. Really noble.

Edited by majestic
  • Gasp! 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I think there are two religious holidays in Australia, Christmas and Easter. Then there is the secular stuff like the Melbourne Cup Horse racing (Victoria only), The Kings Birthday (this one was funny last year, because of the timing of her passing away), Labour Day for us hardworking blue collar developers and Anzac day where people get up at 5am and eat cookies. Oh and here in Brisbane we have The Ekka (an annual agricultural show day, not a statewide holiday, just a public holiday for people living in the greater Brisbane are).Β  Australia day where we celebrate seizing the land from the Aborigines and try to kill them off. There are a bit mixed feelings about the latter holiday, so it might change in the future to become a more inclusive day on another date, suitable for all Australians, both old and new. South Australia has an Adelaide Cup day (similar to Victorias Melbourne Cup), Tasmania has a holiday called "Eight Hour Day" (no, I have no clue), Western Australia has nothing interesting and no idea about the territories (NT and ACT).

Β 

β€œHe who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein
Β 

I tried MIG welding yesterday, for the first time in my life. My father was pleased as hell since apparently I've got talent for it. The first two centimetrs are really boogerlike, but the next parts are real smooth and nice. When I got home I got an youtube recommendation for welding.

laughing-in-tin-foil-hat-tin-foil-hat.gi

• Gasp! 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

1 hour ago, Azdeus said:

I tried MIG welding yesterday, for the first time in my life. My father was pleased as hell since apparently I've got talent for it. The first two centimetrs are really boogerlike, but the next parts are real smooth and nice. When I got home I got an youtube recommendation for welding.

Was the CCTV hooked up to the internet? You never know, some AI and facial recognition software combo may have identified you and your welding fetish 😁

β€œHe who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein
Β 

10 hours ago, Gorth said:

Was the CCTV hooked up to the internet? You never know, some AI and facial recognition software combo may have identified you and your welding fetish 😁

Thankfully no CCTV around there πŸ˜‚

Finally done with my car, managed to fab up some 30mm spacers for the rear springs to raise the back end a little since it used to look like it was leaning backwards a bit all the time. Now it's definetly leaning forwards instead. Like, alot πŸ˜‚ I can actually feel it when sitting in it. Granted, I didn't want to make it 30mm spacers, I wanted 20, but the only scrap metal I could get hold of was 15mm thick so I had to make do!

• Like 1

Today my wife and I are celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary, which is a pretty crazy landmark. It has flown by. We are heading to Morro Bay this weekend. I'm actually racing a half-ironman on Saturday, so it is more of a race-cation, but she seems to be onboard with it. I'll take her out to a nice dinner. :)

• Like 3
  • Gasp! 1

Normally I'd say congratulations but man

7 minutes ago, Hurlshort said:

race-cation

What the hell? Worst cation portmanteau I have ever seen.

• Haha 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"YouΒ are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfullyΒ it seems like the creatorsΒ like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don'tΒ forgetΒ the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"AreΒ you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feralΒ camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

1 hour ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

Normally I'd say congratulations but man

What the hell? Worst cation portmanteau I have ever seen.

Aw, but you get a medal and a t-shirt when you go on a race-cation.

Honestly at my age, if I don't exercise while on vacation, I just feel terrible. I can eat and drink merrily if I go run it off in the AM.

7 minutes ago, Hurlshort said:

Aw, but you get a medal and a t-shirt when you go on a race-cation.

Honestly at my age, if I don't exercise while on vacation, I just feel terrible. I can eat and drink merrily if I go run it off in the AM.

I would rather take a face full of bear mace-cation.

Now that I think of it I haven't been on a vacation since the rona hit. Huh.

• Haha 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"YouΒ are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfullyΒ it seems like the creatorsΒ like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don'tΒ forgetΒ the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"AreΒ you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feralΒ camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

2 hours ago, Hurlshort said:

Today my wife and I are celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary, which is a pretty crazy landmark. It has flown by. We are heading to Morro Bay this weekend. I'm actually racing a half-ironman on Saturday, so it is more of a race-cation, but she seems to be onboard with it. I'll take her out to a nice dinner. :)

Congrats!

21 minutes ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

Now that I think of it I haven't been on a vacation since the rona hit. Huh.

Never been on a vacation ever, hah.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

10 minutes ago, Sarex said:

Since I started working I haven't been on a vacation. Probably some 5 years before that too.

Β 

• Haha 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

3 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

What do you guys do with your accrued vacation days? Sell them back to the company?

I just take the days off to bum around at home or do stuff for/with family. Meant vacation as in "go to some foreign place"

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Malcador said:

I just take the days off to bum around at home or do stuff for/with family. Meant vacation as in "go to some foreign place"

πŸ‘†

• Like 2

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Hubby's has taken or had some days off but yeah we haven't gone on a planned vacation type thing in a long while. We're planning on doing something this year tho, probably in the fall. Nothing major, just rent a place on a lake or something like that, unplug, stare at scenery and chipmunks, that sort of thing. From isolation in the suburb to isolation ... somewhere else? πŸ˜›

β€œThings are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

This has been an issue for years. Especially as someone who has a shorter profile car amid all the higher suv's so many have now. If adaptive headlights are already a thing, please get off your butt and get on that, US. Or just stop using "blue" lights, or don't make them as bright, or whatever.

Β 

In an effort to keep my exercises from getting too stale, I got a 20 lbs steel mace. It's a completely new weight to get used to, completely different compared to the dumbells, barbell, and kettlebells I already have, I'm excited to learn to use it.

ixSXC4v.jpeg

The idea is that because it's so end-heavy, so wildly unbalanced, the steel mace forces you to use stabilizer muscles you might not much use when training with traditional weights that are balanced and much easier to wield. Anyone here use a steel mace before?

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ΈRFK Jr 2024πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks