What are you Playing Now? It's not how you play the game, it's how you place the blame

33 minutes ago, Tale said:

So I finally decided to start up Valheim. Kind of grindy too. But I like building stuff and exploring.

Valheim is one of two survival games that I didn't hate, the other being Conan Exiles. I should jump back into it at some point. It is grindy, but that's the nature of survival games. You're going to be swinging a pickaxe a lot, that's what you do in that genre.:shrugz:

• Thanks 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Callisto Protocol gets better the further I get into it. People who said it feels like an advertisement for a better game might be on to something.

All that stuff I complained about earlier in the game? I feel like I passed the part of the game where they fixed it. The majority of the "prison" part of the game is walking down drab hallways and disgusting vents. Nothing about what you're looking at feels like a real place. It's all just generic hallways broken up by scripted fights of various difficulties.

But then I'd say around the hab dome area of the game that changes. Fights are still scripted, but the areas start having more identity. They're a bit more open, the paths more sensible.  And when they weren't, I was catching little markings pointing me where to go next. There's a whole sequence in a concrete facility where it looks like someone went ahead of you and marked all the collapsed tunnels.

And the combat... this is right around the part of the game where the tentacles come into play. They're presented as this step up in difficulty, the enemies are mutating. But what it really is, is an opportunity to end the fights early. Swing a few times, then the tentacles appear and you can kill them off by shooting them. It really improves fight pacing.

Then we're on to playing a bit more with your own style. The number of environmental objects in the game has taken a sharp upturn. Explosive cannisters, wallspikes. So you can run through four or five guys by shooting a couple cannisters, beating one in the had a couple times, then double tapping them. It's made all of it more interesting.

Maybe they thought they'd teach me all these tools over time, get me used to more tedious combat, then let me feel like a badass when I could exploit all the ways to manage it better. But what it really feels like is they were learning as they developed the game. The early level design feeling a lot less competent leaves me with this impression.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Im 20 hours into   Days Gone and Im thoroughly enjoying it, its achieved my scratch nicely around playing a " zombie killing game "

I like the scavenging and resource mechanics and Im having fun avoiding and killing zombie hordes. I enjoy using the bike to travel to places and I have avoided fast travel because its a beautiful game world

The narrative is interesting and I am keen to see how my relationship with the camps change 8)

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Well if someone wanna try Darktide and not with randos I am happy to step in as semi-rando

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Dragonflight is fun, spending time zooming around on the dragon and harvesting resources more than anything.  Looks better than the low point that was Shadowlands, at least.  Community is still full of morons, tried to heal a dungeon and the tank was running around far ahead of his support and just causing wipes.   Maybe is just a demon hunter thing. 

In FM, using my tried and tested tactic of harvesting the Balkans for players out of contract to get Bielefeld ready for glory.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Back to mass effect remastered or whatever it's called.  On mass effect 2... as much as I like the story and setting, the combat is so tedious,  makes it really unenjoyable to play.  Go down hallway kill enemies, go down hallway kill enemies.  The only time I die is when I get impatient and try to move down the hallway too quickly. 

The husks are the worst.  Super easy to kill but just waves and waves... so... boring... I think maybe I just don't like video games

Edited by Theonlygarby
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hey, for them a 4.8 is better than a 5.1 because plenty of people like myself won't know if it's scored out of 5 or out of 10. :)

Huh, I've just argued myself into believing that a score out of 100 is a better system than scoring out of 10. Until a game comes along and gets 9/100 of course.

Edited by Humanoid
  • Haha 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Dorf fortress is out today so I guess I am spending my night with it. Already can say that UI is still god awful xD

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Nr. 25

In the middle of the night, I have finished the storyline of Final Fantasy XV – Episode Prompto DLC on my PS4. It is a very mixed bag for me. This one has also some sidequests, but most of them are pretty much unbalanced, and they have all some kind of exploit, where the enemy gets stuck, and completely stops attacking. What is the use of lvl 99 encounter, if it either oneshots you, or you need to use exploit to defeat it? At least final bossfight was enjoyable. That being said, IMHO Prompto's shooting mechanics in FFXV lacks fun factor compared to melee mechanics of Noctis or Gladiolus.

Edited by Mamoulian War

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Goal Nr. 26 finished 😛

Last two PS4 trophies in Final Fantasy XV – Episode Prompto DLC have been acquired. The two DLC challenges were much easier than in Episode Gladiolus, but they needed a little bit of practice as well. Especially the snowmobile Time Trials. After an hour and 20 minutes, with little bit of luck, I've completed all three of them with three stars rating. The last time trial, with exactly the minimum time limit required to pass it 😛 . The Intensive Training challenge against Aranea was pretty relaxing fight, so after 30 minutes of attempts, I was able to defeat her as well.

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

19 hours ago, Theonlygarby said:

Sounds like hell

It makes the Horizon Husk rush really fun to deal with. Bonus points if you do not have any strong fire area of effect skills to deal with all that armor.

My experience with Mass Effect shares something in common with my Dark Souls and Sekiro experiences. Not entirely realizing how the game is supposed to be played and making it harder than it would be otherwise, and this is partiall at least the post that the forum ate when @Gorth locked the other thread.

In Dark Souls 1, I began playing as Pyromancer, because consesus was that playing a caster makes the game easy - or easier - and for a first time around the block that seemed reasonable. A quick peek at how stats work before playing led me to pyromancy over regular magic. That was a good choice, all in all, because I did not realize until I was done with the game that you could just buy multiple copies of the same spell to extend casting. Why would I buy a spell I already have? :shrugz:

I basically had a 45 DEX glass cannon with a dexterity scaling weapon and the durability of a wet 'forced' into a hybrid casting/melee playstyle. This led to the hilarious situation of bosses giving me trouble that other players consider a pushover: I spent like an hour trying to defeat the Gaping Dragon. On the bright side, none of the other bosses gave me any pause afterwards*. Ornstein & Smough died on my first attempt. Kalameet and Artorias took a couple of tries, Manus like two.

Sekiro on the other hand I initially just ran around until I stumbled upon Lady Butterfly. Fightingher with no upgrades took me a while, but beyond that? I saw a lot of posts and people complaining about the final boss being too difficult. I don't get it. I spent three hours fighting Lady Butterfly and a whole lot of time figuring out how to do the Mikiri-Counter because dodging straight into an attack went against three decades of conditioning, but like ten minutes fighting Kensei Ashina Isshin. Lady Butterfly is the single hardest boss in this game, period. :p

Now what does that have to do with Mass Effect? Oh, right. I think my experience finishing the three games on Insanity would have been less stressful if I had realized that the player was supposed to just import a character they already finished the game with.

*A bit of a lie. The jump to The Bed of Chaos killed me more often than I would care to admit, but that's not really a boss, is it? I mean, it is the hardest part of the fight, but still... :p

• Thanks 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Pentiment. I am in the middle of the third and, as I understand, the last act. The time limit was removed - all objectives could be accomplished without pressure. But the objectives were different as well - instead of hunting down the potential murderer, the MC was gathering information on the history of the town. The "puzzles" and "exploration" became more ridiculous, such as finding X pieces of a plate in 2 empty rooms and a corridor, then rotating them to form an image.
So far I have the impression that just using Ren'Py, the engine for visual novels specifically, would have solved most of the gameplay issues. Puzzles and travelling are already boring and could have been removed without losing anything, the saving system and dialogue log are lacking and would have been improved.

On 12/5/2022 at 10:52 PM, Theonlygarby said:

Back to mass effect remastered or whatever it's called.  On mass effect 2... as much as I like the story and setting, the combat is so tedious,  makes it really unenjoyable to play.  Go down hallway kill enemies, go down hallway kill enemies.  The only time I die is when I get impatient and try to move down the hallway too quickly. 

The husks are the worst.  Super easy to kill but just waves and waves... so... boring... I think maybe I just don't like video games

And who you Romancing? Miranda right .....we love those curves :wub: ( and her personality, I forgot to mention her  personality )

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Healing WoW dungeons is always fun, people rush too much.  Second dungeon is essentially the zone, so you can fly around in it. Yes, a PUG flying around uncoordinated sounds great.  Tank thinks he's a Space Marine and deep strikes into a group that's surrounded by patrols, we wipe.  Repeat process about twice before a DPS quits and tells us we're all retards and homosexuals.

• Haha 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

33 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Healing WoW dungeons is always fun, people rush too much.  Second dungeon is essentially the zone, so you can fly around in it. Yes, a PUG flying around uncoordinated sounds great.  Tank thinks he's a Space Marine and deep strikes into a group that's surrounded by patrols, we wipe.  Repeat process about twice before a DPS quits and tells us we're all retards and homosexuals.

Blizzard learned nothing from the fiasco that was The Oculus, and decided to make it even worse?

40f.png

As Karl Marx once said: history repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as farce. More and more I get the feeling he was right. :p

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

No, you don't fly around as in vehicles, you get to use your dragon (the gimmick or feature of this expansion) to fly around to each boss.  Problem is that morons think they can fly over the trash mobs, forgetting movement will pull them.  

Although, I suspect Blizzard might not "learn" out of a sense of sadism.

• Gasp! 1