Random/Interesting/Weird

Gorth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auUyZcAxn6c

Some of you old farts on here might remember Japan's rise in the 1970's and 80's, and how they almost became an economic peer competitor to the U.S.

But I bet you might not know that the U.S. orchestrated Japan's demise in detail with the Plaza Accords, which effectively injected them with proverbial economic AIDS virus which set forth a cycle of doom and gloom which led to their loss decades that they're still feeling today. 

I guess it helps when you have military bases, and can Red Scare them into submission.  The USSR was super frightening to Japabn government, especially Nakasone's.

What does it take to show Youtube videos on a 40 year old computer?...

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Probably more of interest for those of us who grew up during the cold war...

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Slightly related to the one above

• Like 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Capturing the movement of the Milky Way on video means freezing coldness, persistence and a lot of work. Still, it's priceless to see nebulae, galaxies and the infinite stars of the dark night sky of Austria. This video shows timelapse recordings between spring 2021 and spring 2022 from my home country Austria. Some shots were shown in the television documentary “Universum – Naturerbe Österreich”, the majority was unpublished, until now…

• Like 3

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

We may not have the Florida Man down here... but life in Australia can be pretty weird anyway

• Like 1

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/software/winamp-releases-new-version-after-four-years-in-development/

It seems the llama won this round though

Edited by Malcador
  • Thanks 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

One thing North America and Australia has in common is the occasional freaky weather.... including a number of clips from where I live (Brisbane, Queensland)

• Like 1

<insert pun on Seagal's movies' names here>

• Confused 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

3 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Thinking of doing that to my son.

could also be a nifty halloween costume, no?  doesn't seem particular complicated neither, though would not stand up to rain 'course. @Raithecould probable see hurdles to costuming, but wrap shady jr in a couple led light strips hooked up to a portable battery and then cover him in copious amounts o' poly-fil. ambulatory storm cloud, yes?

HA! Good Fun!

• Haha 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

13 minutes ago, Sarex said:

Maybe better for the funny thread now that I think about it.

Can't wait for robot cops to start killing people due to a buggy firmware.