Random/Interesting/Weird

Gorth

2 hours ago, Raithe said:
grumpy linguist and his grumpy cat

possible the most fascinating aspect o' knorozov's translation efforts is that it likely were only possible 'cause o' the academic isolation o' the soviet union. for all intents and purposes, the book on the mayan language had been written, and the world's most respected academics had come to agreement that mayan were a pictograph language with each symbol representing a word or concept. there were a brit scholar (thomas? thompsen?) who were THE guy regarding the mayans and his conclusions and process were taught to all other western linguists. an academic dead-end were created by THE guy being wrong. soviet scholars didn't have the slavish devotion to thomas/thompsen and they didn't risk humiliation or loss o' tenure by publishing works with contradictory conclusions. am not certain what yuri's exposure to contemporary western scholarship amounted to, but were almost happenstance yuri's groundbreaking efforts were known in the west before the end o' the cold war, 'cause for the most part soviet academic publications were not translated and promoted beyond the iron curtain in the 1950s. 

that said, am thinking the quirky cat co-author stuff is a bit more amusing and likely more memorable.

HA! Good Fun!

• Thanks 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

sharing 'cause is that time of year... again.

Table of State Laws that Protect Animals Left in Parked Vehicles

14 states have enacted laws that allow any person to rescue a distressed animal (AZ, CA, CO, CT, FL, IN, KS, LA, MA, OH, OR, TN, VT, and WI). These laws functions to limit the civil or criminal liability of the person for damages resulting from the forcible entry of the vehicle. Indiana is the first and only state to require the person who forcibly enters a vehicle to rescue an animal to pay half the damages. West Virginia and New Jersey are the only states that criminalize the act of leaving a pet unattended under dangerous conditions without providing a rescue and immunity provision for anyone.

check the link if you are curious, 'cause most states which provide protection from criminal and civil liability impose specific requirements for the prospective good samaritan. 

CA as an example:

This person will not be criminally liable for actions taken reasonably and in good faith if the person does all of the following:

-determines the vehicle is locked or there is otherwise no reasonable manner for the animal to be removed from the vehicle
-has a good faith belief that forcible entry into the vehicle is necessary because the animal is in imminent danger of suffering harm
-contacted a local law enforcement agency, the fire department, animal control, or 911 prior to forcible entry
-remains with the animal in a safe location, but close by until emergency responders arrive
-used no more force than necessary to enter the vehicle and remove the animal
-immediately turns the animal over to a representative from law enforcement, animal control, or another emergency responder

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Gasp! 1

https://www.vox.com/recode/23170900/leaked-amazon-memo-warehouses-hiring-shortage

Amazon is facing a looming crisis: It could run out of people to hire in its US warehouses by 2024, according to leaked Amazon internal research from mid-2021 that Recode reviewed. If that happens, the online retailer’s service quality and growth plans could be at risk, and its e-commerce dominance along with it.

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

On 6/17/2022 at 8:09 PM, Raithe said:

I feel a bit sad when thinking back to the 70's, for us kids/young teens, he was just a "B Movie Star", featuring in all those old vampire and horror movies. Only finding out the last ten years or so, what a rich history the guy has/had (special forces soldier, stage performer, Tolkien scholar, voice actor, singer etc.)

• Like 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

The ISS transiting in front of the Sun:

sun-spot-intern-844435-1024x680.jpg

sun-spot-intern-swns-1024x546.jpg

• Like 5

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

BoredPanda - Returning ebooks costs authors

Writer Tweets About Owing Money To Amazon Because Readers Are Returning Their Finished eBooks, Sparks A Debate Among Online Users
Return policies are there to keep the customer satisfied, but it becomes a problem when they start abusing the system. Recently people started sharing a “hack” of purchasing ebooks and then returning them after they’ve finished reading them. Authors have noticed that their returns have gone up and blamed it on a trend that originated on TikTok, raising a question of its ethics.

1532514185417879552-png__700.jpg

1531696430682873857-png__700.jpg

• Sad 3

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

2 hours ago, Raithe said:

this is one o' those situation where the law is a gibbering moron and everybody pretends otherwise. 

authors don't need sell on amazon, so if they don't like the return policy they may remove their works from being sold by amazon. if you got a publisher, then as an author is possible to negotiate a deal which avoids the stoopid returns policy hack, 'cause it makes more sense for big publishers to pressure amazon for change than for nobody authors, yes? oh, and is not as if the authors being cheated o' royalties can't sue fraudulent returners. 'course am suggesting perfect world solutions for an imperfect world. in 2022, many authors is functional stuck with the amazon model and is no way they may bring 'bout change. the fraud described is accepted as a cost o' doing business 'cause such don't impact amazon's bottom line as yet and clear the big publishing companies have not risen from their torpor to take up the fight 'gainst the dastardly nogoodniks exploiting the amazon return policy. and serious, what author has the resources to bring a civil case 'gainst every possible fraudulent returner? 

and so the law sits in the corner, drooling like an idiot, 'cause the system is working as designed.

far too many o' us expect the law to fix wrongs. that ain't what the law does. 

HA! Good Fun!

Georgia Guidestones demolished after planted explosive device damages it.

Apparently there's a nutwing part of the local Republican party that has been advocating for the destruction of the Guidestones as being evil, satanic internationalism created by a "Luciferian cabal'. 

🤦‍♂️

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

6 hours ago, Amentep said:

Georgia Guidestones demolished after planted explosive device damages it.

Apparently there's a nutwing part of the local Republican party that has been advocating for the destruction of the Guidestones as being evil, satanic internationalism created by a "Luciferian cabal'. 

🤦‍♂️

Sounds like when ISIS are let loose on monuments...

Speaking of nutcases...

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2022/jul/05/queensland-police-arrest-12-members-of-religious-group-the-saints-over-toowoomba-death-of-eight-year-old-elizabeth-rose-struhs

In short, because god is all powerful etc. etc. none of that satanic insulin for their 8 year old daughter (who suffered from type 1 diabetes). Prayers should be good enough, ergo.

No surprise that she died a painful death while her parents denied her life saving medication.

Some people should be disqualified from procreation...

• Sad 2