Random/Interesting/Weird

Gorth

Isn't Florida full of sinkholes? I seem to remember reading something about it just being a big sponge with a bit of vegetation on top 🤔

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

9 minutes ago, Gorth said:

I seem to remember reading something about it just being a big sponge with a bit of vegetation on top

You're describing the people, not the land.

• Haha 5

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I can see why Will left.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

5 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Too much work compared to giving SROs a support weapon.

Most famous drinking song ever to come out of London?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

On 5/29/2022 at 1:41 AM, Guard Dog said:

The old English accountant who invented sports analytics after WWI was mocked for his teams playstyle at the beginning. Today, the most successful sports clubs, regardless of whether it's Football or NFL, use it. Don't underestimate the ability to see the patterns of this world...

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/61648608.amp

Charles Reep: The military accountant who brought data analysis to English game

• Like 1

Hmm...interesting. I know sounds and sometimes dialogue are done in studio after filming etc, but I always thought the screams were at least dubbed by the actors themselves. Guess not, most of the time (at least in modern times). Makes sense to be sound effects in a manner of speaking, but still weird.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

NYC Cancer Trial Delivers ‘Unheard-of' Result: Complete Remission for Everyone

According to the NEJM paper and the Times report, all 12 patients had rectal cancer that had not spread beyond the local area, and their tumors all exhibited a mutation affecting the ability of cells to repair damage to DNA.

After being treated with the drug, dostarlimab, all 12 are now in complete remission, with no surgery or chemotherapy, no severe side effects — and no trace of cancer whatsoever anywhere in their body.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Welcome to the time machine... aka retro tech. When the compact disc was new and revolutionary (1982)

• Like 2
  • Gasp! 1

The rise of youth cage-fighting

'couldn't help but think o' the line from highlander. "the kurgans were an ancient people from the steppes of russia.  for amusement they tossed children into pits with hungry dogs to fight for meat."

back in the 70s our grandmother had to be convinced to let us join youth wrestling. am trying to imagine her reaction to cage fighting.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)