Random/Interesting/Weird

Gorth

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

https://www.theverge.com/2022/7/12/23204950/bmw-subscriptions-microtransactions-heated-seats-feature

BMW is now selling subscriptions for heated seats in a number of countries — the latest example of the company’s adoption of microtransactions for high-end car features.

A monthly subscription to heat your BMW’s front seats costs roughly $18, with options to subscribe for a year ($180), three years ($300), or pay for “unlimited” access for $415.

It’s not clear exactly when BMW started offering this feature as a subscription, or in which countries, but a number of outlets this week reported spotted its launch in South Korea.

• Gasp! 1
  • Sad 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

291045984_5269077236508012_8093543368598

Yuli Borisovich Bryner (or Yul Brynner) sometimes claimed to be a half-Swiss, half-Japanese named Taidje Khan, born on the island of Sakhalin; in reality, he was the son of Marousia Dimitrievna (Blagovidova), the Russian daughter of a doctor, and Boris Yuliyevich Bryner, an engineer and inventor of Swiss-German and Russian descent in their home town of Vladivostok and named Yuli after his grandfather, Jules Bryner.

When Yuli's father abandoned the family, his mother took him and his sister Vera to Harbin, Manchuria, where they attended a YMCA school. In 1934, Yuli's mother took her children to Paris. Her son was sent to the exclusive Lycée Moncelle, but his attendance was spotty. He dropped out and became a musician, playing guitar in the nightclubs among the Russian Roma people who gave him his first real sense of family. He met luminaries such as Jean Cocteau and became an apprentice at the Theatre des Mathurins. He worked as a trapeze artist with the famed Cirque d'Hiver company.

He traveled to the U.S. in 1941 to study with acting teacher Michael Chekhov and toured the country with Chekhov's theatrical troupe. That same year, he debuted in New York as Fabian in "Twelfth Night" (billed as Youl Bryner). After working in a very early TV series, "Mr. Jones and His Neighbors," he played on Broadway in "Lute Song" with Mary Martin, winning awards and mild acclaim. He and his wife, actress Virginia Gilmore, starred in the first TV talk show, "Mr. and Mrs."

Brynner then joined CBS as a television director. Before he achieved fame, he was the director of a children's puppet show on CBS, "Life with Snarky Parker," which lasted barely eight months on the air before cancellation.

He made his film debut in "Port of New York" (1949). Two years later, Mary Martin recommended him for the part he would forever be known for: the King in Richard Rodgers' and Oscar Hammerstein II's musical "The King and I." Brynner became an immediate sensation in the role, repeating it for the 1956 film and winning the Oscar for Best Actor.

Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein II's initial choice for their Broadway "King and I" musical's featured role King of Siam was Rex Harrison, a role that he had played in "Anna and the King of Siam" (1946), but Harrison was unavailable due to film work. Martin suggested Brynner to them and they took her up on her suggestion. Brynner. In rehearsals, at his first meeting with costume designer Irene Sharaff, he had only a fringe of curly hair. He asked Sharaff what he was to do about it. When she told him to shave it, he was horrified and refused, convinced he would look terrible. During out-of-town tryouts in New Haven, CT (February 27, 1951), Sharaff told Rodgers and Hammerstein and director John Van Druten, "Brynner should be bald!" Ordered to shave his head, he gave in, shaving off his long curly black hair and putting dark stage make-up on his shaved head. The effect was so well received that it became his trademark.

"I had a rule when I was doing 'The King and I' that I never allowed anybody backstage, except after the show, because all this work went into creating an illusion and would be destroyed by a visit backstage. And one day, during the intermission, the stage doorman came in and said, 'I don't know what to do, Mr. Brynner, there's a man who says he's Cecil B. DeMille and he has to see you immediately about a matter of life and death.' I said, 'Well, show him in, if he doesn't mind I'm almost stark naked, but I don't mind. Ask him in.' So he came in, shook my hand and said, 'Mr. Brynner, how'd you like to make a picture that your grandchildren will see in the theaters around the world?' I said, 'I think I'd like that.' He said, 'Then will you play Rameses in 'The Ten Commandments' (1956) for me?' I said, 'Certainly.' We shook hands, and that was the deal. It was as firm a deal as I've ever had in this business. I was the first actor engaged for the movie."

• Like 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Bull Sand Fort: Humber defence to be sold to highest bidder - BBC News

_125911192_fort1.jpg

An armour-plated World War One fort in the Humber Estuary, which can only be reached by boat or helicopter, is to be sold off to the highest bidder.

Bull Sand Fort, built between 1915 and 1919, sits in the sea three miles (4.8km) from Grimsby.

Bidding for the building, described as "needing refurbishment", would start at £50,000, agents Savills said.

Steven Morish , from the firm, said the fort required "an imaginative buyer with a project in mind".

The building, which was reinforced by concrete and fitted out with 12in (30cm) of armour designed to withstand gunfire from battleships, was big enough to house a garrison of 200 men.

• Like 3

Bet it shows up as a Mystery House on Escape to the Country... 😛 

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Putin should buy it.

11 hours ago, Malcador said:

Putin should buy it.

I hear the former president of Sri Lanka is looking for a new home 😛

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

• Like 2

He'll get his revenge. Eat more fish! 😁

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

1 hour ago, Gorth said:

He'll get his revenge. Eat more fish! 😁

can always try a duel. the tricky part is 'ccording to the code duello the challenged party chooses the "ground" and am suspecting the shark selects ocean/sea. so monsieur bruemmer needs goad the shark into being the challenger, then demand to meet "behind the luxembourg at noon." the shark's briny hiney is done for. 

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Haha 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Just something for us cheese lovers... 🧀💕

• Thanks 1

295328631_5463608197031870_3387026792805

𝟭𝟵𝟯𝟵 𝘄𝗮𝘀 𝗮 𝘆𝗲𝗮𝗿 𝘁𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝘄𝗼𝘂𝗹𝗱 𝗴𝗼 𝗱𝗼𝘄𝗻 𝗶𝗻 𝗵𝗶𝘀𝘁𝗼𝗿𝘆 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝗮 𝗻𝘂𝗺𝗯𝗲𝗿 𝗼𝗳 𝗿𝗲𝗮𝘀𝗼𝗻𝘀. 𝗜𝘁 𝘄𝗮𝘀, 𝗼𝗳 𝗰𝗼𝘂𝗿𝘀𝗲, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘆𝗲𝗮𝗿 𝘄𝗵𝗲𝗻 𝗛𝗶𝘁𝗹𝗲𝗿 𝘄𝗼𝘂𝗹𝗱 𝗯𝗲𝗴𝗶𝗻 𝗪𝗼𝗿𝗹𝗱 𝗪𝗮𝗿 𝗜𝗜 𝗯𝘆 𝗶𝗻𝘃𝗮𝗱𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗣𝗼𝗹𝗮𝗻𝗱. 𝗜𝘁 𝗮𝗹𝘀𝗼 𝗵𝗮𝗽𝗽𝗲𝗻𝗲𝗱 𝘁𝗼 𝗯𝗲 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘆𝗲𝗮𝗿 𝘄𝗵𝗲𝗻 𝗚𝗼𝗻𝗲 𝗪𝗶𝘁𝗵 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗪𝗶𝗻𝗱 𝘄𝗼𝘂𝗹𝗱 𝘁𝗮𝗸𝗲 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗰𝗶𝗻𝗲𝗺𝗮𝘁𝗶𝗰 𝘄𝗼𝗿𝗹𝗱 𝗯𝘆 𝘀𝘁𝗼𝗿𝗺. 𝗟𝗲𝘀𝗹𝗶𝗲 𝗦𝘁𝗲𝗶𝗻𝗲𝗿, 𝗮 𝗝𝗲𝘄𝗶𝘀𝗵 𝗺𝗮𝗻 𝗼𝗳 𝗛𝘂𝗻𝗴𝗮𝗿𝗶𝗮𝗻 𝗱𝗲𝘀𝗰𝗲𝗻𝘁, 𝗯𝗼𝗿𝗻 𝗶𝗻 𝗟𝗼𝗻𝗱𝗼𝗻, 𝘄𝗼𝘂𝗹𝗱 𝗽𝗹𝗮𝘆 𝗮 𝘀𝗶𝗴𝗻𝗶𝗳𝗶𝗰𝗮𝗻𝘁 𝗿𝗼𝗹𝗲 𝗶𝗻 𝗯𝗼𝘁𝗵 𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗻𝘁𝘀. 𝗬𝗼𝘂 𝘀𝗲𝗲, 𝘄𝗲 𝗸𝗻𝗼𝘄 𝗵𝗶𝗺 𝗯𝗲𝘁𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗮𝘀 𝗟𝗲𝘀𝗹𝗶𝗲 𝗛𝗼𝘄𝗮𝗿𝗱, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗮𝗰𝘁𝗼𝗿 𝘁𝗼 𝘄𝗵𝗼𝗺 𝗦𝗰𝗮𝗿𝗹𝗲𝘁𝘁 𝗰𝗿𝗼𝗼𝗻𝗲𝗱, “𝗔𝘀𝗵𝗹𝗲𝘆, 𝗔𝘀𝗵𝗹𝗲𝘆…” 𝗛𝗲 𝘄𝗮𝘀 𝗮𝗹𝗿𝗲𝗮𝗱𝘆 𝗮 𝘃𝗲𝘁𝗲𝗿𝗮𝗻 𝗼𝗳 𝘀𝘁𝗮𝗴𝗲 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝘀𝗰𝗿𝗲𝗲𝗻 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗮 𝗵𝗲𝗮𝗿𝘁𝘁𝗵𝗿𝗼𝗯, 𝗯𝘂𝘁 𝗚𝗼𝗻𝗲 𝗪𝗶𝘁𝗵 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗪𝗶𝗻𝗱 𝗰𝗮𝘁𝗮𝗽𝘂𝗹𝘁𝗲𝗱 𝗵𝗶𝗺 𝘁𝗼 𝗺𝗲𝗴𝗮 𝘀𝘁𝗮𝗿𝗱𝗼𝗺.

𝗟𝗲𝘀𝗹𝗶𝗲 𝗛𝗼𝘄𝗮𝗿𝗱 𝘄𝗮𝗹𝗸𝗲𝗱 𝗮𝘄𝗮𝘆 𝗳𝗿𝗼𝗺 𝗶𝘁 𝗮𝗹𝗹 𝗶𝗻 𝟭𝟵𝟰𝟬, 𝗯𝘂𝘆𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗼𝘂𝘁 𝗵𝗶𝘀 𝗰𝗼𝗻𝘁𝗿𝗮𝗰𝘁 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗳𝗼𝗿𝗳𝗲𝗶𝘁𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗿𝗼𝘆𝗮𝗹𝘁𝗶𝗲𝘀 𝗶𝗻 𝗳𝗮𝘃𝗼𝗿 𝗼𝗳 𝘄𝗿𝗶𝘁𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗽𝗿𝗼𝗱𝘂𝗰𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗮𝗻𝘁𝗶-𝗡𝗮𝘇𝗶 𝗽𝗿𝗼𝗽𝗮𝗴𝗮𝗻𝗱𝗮 𝗳𝗶𝗹𝗺𝘀 𝗳𝗼𝗿 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗕𝗿𝗶𝘁𝗶𝘀𝗵 𝗴𝗼𝘃𝗲𝗿𝗻𝗺𝗲𝗻𝘁. 𝗧𝗵𝗶𝘀 𝗺𝗼𝘃𝗲 𝗲𝗮𝗿𝗻𝗲𝗱 𝗵𝗶𝗺 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗲𝗻𝗺𝗶𝘁𝘆 𝗼𝗳 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗡𝗮𝘇𝗶 𝗹𝗲𝗮𝗱𝗲𝗿𝘀𝗵𝗶𝗽 𝗶𝗻 𝗴𝗲𝗻𝗲𝗿𝗮𝗹, 𝗯𝘂𝘁 𝗲𝘀𝗽𝗲𝗰𝗶𝗮𝗹𝗹𝘆 𝘁𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝗼𝗳 𝗝𝗼𝘀𝗲𝗽𝗵 𝗚𝗼𝗲𝗯𝗯𝗲𝗹𝘀, 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗚𝗲𝗿𝗺𝗮𝗻 𝗽𝗿𝗼𝗽𝗮𝗴𝗮𝗻𝗱𝗮 𝗺𝗶𝗻𝗶𝘀𝘁𝗲𝗿. 𝗢𝗻 𝗝𝘂𝗻𝗲 𝟭, 𝟭𝟵𝟰𝟯, 𝗟𝗲𝘀𝗹𝗶𝗲 𝗛𝗼𝘄𝗮𝗿𝗱 𝘄𝗮𝘀 𝗼𝗻𝗲 𝗼𝗳 𝟭𝟳 𝗽𝗲𝗼𝗽𝗹𝗲 𝗮𝗯𝗼𝗮𝗿𝗱 𝗙𝗹𝗶𝗴𝗵𝘁 𝟳𝟳𝟳, 𝗮 𝗰𝗶𝘃𝗶𝗹𝗶𝗮𝗻 𝗮𝗶𝗿𝗰𝗿𝗮𝗳𝘁 𝗳𝗹𝘆𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗳𝗿𝗼𝗺 𝗻𝗲𝘂𝘁𝗿𝗮𝗹 𝗣𝗼𝗿𝘁𝘂𝗴𝗮𝗹 𝘁𝗼 𝗕𝗿𝗶𝘀𝘁𝗼𝗹. 𝗕𝘆 𝗺𝘂𝘁𝘂𝗮𝗹 𝗮𝗴𝗿𝗲𝗲𝗺𝗲𝗻𝘁, 𝘀𝘂𝗰𝗵 𝗰𝗶𝘃𝗶𝗹𝗶𝗮𝗻 𝗽𝗹𝗮𝗻𝗲𝘀 𝗳𝗹𝗲𝘄 𝘀𝗮𝗳𝗲𝗹𝘆 𝗯𝗮𝗰𝗸 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗳𝗼𝗿𝘁𝗵 𝘄𝗶𝘁𝗵 𝗴𝗿𝗲𝗮𝘁 𝗳𝗿𝗲𝗾𝘂𝗲𝗻𝗰𝘆. 𝗢𝗻 𝘁𝗵𝗮𝘁 𝗱𝗮𝘆, 𝗵𝗼𝘄𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗿, 𝘀𝗶𝘅 𝗝𝘂𝗻𝗸𝗲𝗿𝘀 𝗝𝘂 𝟴𝟴 𝗳𝗶𝗴𝗵𝘁𝗲𝗿𝘀 𝗮𝘁𝘁𝗮𝗰𝗸𝗲𝗱 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗱𝗲𝗳𝗲𝗻𝘀𝗲𝗹𝗲𝘀𝘀 𝗗𝗼𝘂𝗴𝗹𝗮𝘀 𝗗𝗖-𝟯, 𝗰𝗮𝘂𝘀𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗶𝘁 𝘁𝗼 𝗰𝗿𝗮𝘀𝗵 𝗶𝗻 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗕𝗮𝘆 𝗼𝗳 𝗕𝗶𝘀𝗰𝗮𝘆 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗸𝗶𝗹𝗹𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗮𝗹𝗹 𝗮𝗯𝗼𝗮𝗿𝗱.

𝗔𝗹𝗹 𝗼𝗳 𝗕𝗿𝗶𝘁𝗮𝗶𝗻 𝘄𝗮𝘀 𝘀𝗵𝗼𝗰𝗸𝗲𝗱, 𝗯𝘂𝘁 𝗻𝗼𝘁 𝘀𝗼 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗡𝗮𝘇𝗶𝘀. 𝗠𝗮𝗻𝘆 𝗵𝗶𝘀𝘁𝗼𝗿𝗶𝗮𝗻𝘀 𝗯𝗲𝗹𝗶𝗲𝘃𝗲 𝗶𝘁 𝘄𝗮𝘀 𝗠𝗶𝗻𝗶𝘀𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝗚𝗼𝗲𝗯𝗯𝗲𝗹𝘀 𝗵𝗶𝗺𝘀𝗲𝗹𝗳 𝘄𝗵𝗼 𝗼𝗿𝗱𝗲𝗿𝗲𝗱 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗮𝘁𝘁𝗮𝗰𝗸 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗱𝗲𝗹𝗶𝗴𝗵𝘁𝗲𝗱 𝗶𝗻 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗱𝗲𝗮𝘁𝗵 𝗼𝗳 𝗵𝗶𝘀 𝗻𝗲𝗺𝗲𝘀𝗶𝘀. 𝗟𝗲𝘀𝗹𝗶𝗲 𝗛𝗼𝘄𝗮𝗿𝗱 𝗱𝗶𝗲𝗱 𝗮𝘁 𝗮𝗴𝗲 𝟱𝟬, 𝗮 𝘀𝘂𝗽𝗲𝗿𝘀𝘁𝗮𝗿, 𝗯𝘂𝘁 𝗼𝗻𝗲 𝘄𝗵𝗼𝘀𝗲 𝗴𝗿𝗲𝗮𝘁𝗲𝘀𝘁 𝗿𝗼𝗹𝗲 𝘄𝗮𝘀 𝗻𝗼𝘁 𝗼𝗻 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘀𝗶𝗹𝘃𝗲𝗿 𝘀𝗰𝗿𝗲𝗲𝗻 𝗯𝘂𝘁 𝗶𝗻 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗵𝗲𝗮𝘁𝗿𝗲 𝗼𝗳 𝗹𝗶𝗳𝗲.