What You've Done Today - Always You Must Meddle, Looking For Trouble Where None Exists.

Sarex

16 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Hope none of them work until 1700.  Noticing people working far too late since the pandemic made us all go remote, like some guy in Netherlands messaging me at 0100 his time.  Blessed be the slave that learns to love the lash, I guess.

General staff now is 0830-1715 w/45 min lunch break.  The lab that opened at 0730 is closed now, but the staff from there does 0700-1600 or so in other labs, we haven't altered their schedule.  I also still come in at 0700 but leave at 1700. 😱  On the plus side, I work out during what becomes a 105 min lunch break due to the extra time frame I stay available to my staff.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

9 hours ago, BruceVC said:

You lucky, I wish I was retired 

What did you use to do for a living?

I worked in IT, retiring as a systems analyst.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

On 3/4/2022 at 6:36 PM, Guard Dog said:

Going to New York all next week with G.  Neither of us have been. She has a whole bucket list of thing she wants us to do. Monday & Thursday I'm all tied up with work. But I bought us tickets to see the Rangers play the Ducks in MSG on Tuesday, Lower bowl section 115. That wasn't cheap. $150 per seat! But what the heck it was on both of our bucket lists.. On Wednesday we are going to see "The Music Man" in the afternoon and then to dinner at Donburiya (unless she changes her mind again). Plus lots of other stuff I'm sure I'll be briefed on before we go :lol:

our ny list is almost entire food and music related. truth to tell our ideal "nyc" trip would likely be to grab a bagel from russ & daughters in the am or early afternoon, then pizza from roberta's in the eve, after which we hit the 55 bar for an evening show. aforementioned itinerary would likely result in us being satiated with a full nyc trip and have us not need return for at least another decade.   ignored by a cabbie after dark and verbal abused by a cabbie during broad daylight were achieved w/i first few days o' arriving in nyc our firstest time as an adult... in fact, we acquired the insulting cabbie cheevo across the street from msg as we were trying to get from the penta hotel (no longer exists) to the un for a free speech... speech. after getting in the cab and asking to go to un, the driver began swearing at us. to this day am not certain what set him off, but we decided it would be best to exit the cab. 

HA! Good Fun! 

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I stayed at Penn the first time I went to NYC as well. I was in town for a job interview when I was getting out of the military. I have enough bad cabbie stories that I almost felt no sympathy when they started complaining about ride sharing stealing their fares.

• Like 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

2 hours ago, Gromnir said:

our ny list is almost entire food and music related. truth to tell our ideal "nyc" trip would likely be to grab a bagel from russ & daughters in the am or early afternoon, then pizza from roberta's in the eve, after which we hit the 55 bar for an evening show. aforementioned itinerary would likely result in us being satiated with a full nyc trip and have us not need return for at least another decade.   ignored by a cabbie after dark and verbal abused by a cabbie during broad daylight were achieved w/i first few days o' arriving in nyc our firstest time as an adult... in fact, we acquired the insulting cabbie cheevo across the street from msg as we were trying to get from the penta hotel (no longer exists) to the un for a free speech... speech. after getting in the cab and asking to go to un, the driver began swearing at us. to this day am not certain what set him off, but we decided it would be best to exit the cab. 

HA! Good Fun! 

We're staying at a Marriott Fairfield on the south end of Manhattan. Don't know the area well but it's one block off FDR. I just looked up Russ & Daughters and it looks really good. The one in Brooklyn is right across the bridge from where we're staying. So definitely going to try. We're flying over on Sunday morning.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

3 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

We're staying at a Marriott Fairfield on the south end of Manhattan. Don't know the area well but it's one block off FDR. I just looked up Russ & Daughters and it looks really good. The one in Brooklyn is right across the bridge from where we're staying. So definitely going to try. We're flying over on Sunday morning.

roberta's is also brooklyn, if a smidge further from where you are staying. from russ & daughter's, keep going down flushing, then take a left on... am not sure. is not the direction from which we get there, so as good as is our memory, am not 100% certain.  regardless is a few blocks north o' flushing ave and east o' bushwick ave.

HA! Good Fun!

ps roberta's actual were a thing considerable after we original left ny, but they did a fantastic job making great food even if the business model later had problems. is not one o' those +100 year old ny establishments, but we always hit up the bushwick location for pizza when am in ny in spite o' our aversion to trendy &/or hipster. 

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Today's excitement was explaining to a PM that an issue doesn't progress much between 1600 Friday and 1000 Monday. 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1 hour ago, Malcador said:

Today's excitement was explaining to a PM that an issue doesn't progress much between 1600 Friday and 1000 Monday. 

I find your lack of commitment disturbing. :yes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Is why I plan on inventing a wife and two kids.  Some people say waging a misinformation campaign on your coworkers is a sign of mental illness, I say, it's practical.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

40 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Is why I plan on inventing a wife and two kids.  Some people say waging a misinformation campaign on your coworkers is a sign of mental illness, I say, it's practical.

I like to allude that I have a personal life, or well... a life...

• Like 2

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

1 hour ago, Malcador said:

Not a bad idea. My kids get me out of all sorts of uncomfortable social situations.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

Not a bad idea. My kids get me out of all sorts of uncomfortable social situations.

Nah, for social situations I just tell them I have other stuff to do - like clean bathroom or laundry or whatever.  This stuff is reserved for getting out of working weekends, I only work those to help out the guys who actually have families :lol:

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Hurlsnot said:

suspicious-dog.gif

am an outsider sans kids, but having witnessed the mortification o' more than a few parents due to all too predictable ordinary kid behaviour, am wondering if hurl is being sarcastic or serious. no doubt kids extricate hurl from a few uncomfortable situations, but am suspecting the lifetime ledger does not work in favour o' parents when calculating embarrassing/unpleasant/expensive situations as 'posed to those who has not continued their familial line. 

that said, am aware is perfect ordinary for parents to have a blind spot regarding their kids. as a teacher, hurl has no doubt been on the other side o' the desk from misguided parents who reflexive defend the indefensible actions o' their kids. such parental unreasonableness is normal. am not expecting any individual parent to be objective 'bout their own kids and am suspecting we would end up with a whole bunch more maladjusted psychopaths if all parents treated their kids with vulcan dispassion. 

HA! Good Fun!

34 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

no doubt kids extricate hurl from a few uncomfortable situations, but am suspecting the lifetime ledger does not work in favour o' parents when calculating embarrassing/unpleasant/expensive situations as 'posed to those who has not continued their familial line. 

I threw out the ledger book a long time ago. :p

I actually spent all day Saturday watching my daughter play field hockey at Cal Berkeley. She was taking part in a club tournament. It was a fantastic day out. I did get in a nice little hour run before the games started. That is one hilly campus. 

• Like 1

Just now, Hurlsnot said:

That is one hilly campus. 

your economic observation brought back nightmare recollections (possibly literal... will know tomorrow,) from our time playing football at Cal. ever seen videos o' those walter payton and jerry rice hill workouts? *groan* our high school coaches (football and track) didn't make us run 'cause we would get shin splints so ez. college coaches didn't care. worse, the university coaches wanted us to add +20lbs. think the added muscle made our shin splint situation better or worse? we hated those hills.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

I am living through what seems to be the last Wednesday of the year: people throwing handmade grenades around...God help the cats. :(

This celebration(charshanbe suri) used to be different mind you, people would dance and drink but noooooo we can't have any of that anymore because..well...Islam!

Live homemade hand grenades to someone's face seem to be less sinful than alcohol or dancing according to Islam...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

7 hours ago, Katphood said:

I am living through what seems to be the last Wednesday of the year: people throwing handmade grenades around...God help the cats. :(

This celebration(charshanbe suri) used to be different mind you, people would dance and drink but noooooo we can't have any of that anymore because..well...Islam!

Live homemade hand grenades to someone's face seem to be less sinful than alcohol or dancing according to Islam...

For it is written… “He that is without sin among you, let him throw the first hand grenade”

Meh, just kidding. Little comfort, but nobody lives forever. Fairly sure the people of Iran are ready to move on from the ayatollahs. Gradually as they keel over from age or abruptly as people are just fed up with unnecessary hardship 

• Haha 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

This hot girl I used to work with contacted me recently, saying she's a single mom and all that and seeing what I'm up to.

Yeah I got the hint, she's interested but I don't know if I'm ready for that kind commitment crap yet and change to my routine.  I'm a cumbersome war machine and not quick to change the channel.

She's definitely not a stupid Western liberal so that's something, doubt she's really into politics though.

Also, DuckDuckGo can screw off.  Used to think it was the best browser but now with all the latest menstruation over Ukraine it the search results are dog****.  Trying out Vivaldi but it doesn't seem much different so far...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ComradeYellow said:

This hot girl I used to work with contacted me recently, saying she's a single mom and all that and seeing what I'm up to.

Yeah I got the hint, she's interested but I don't know if I'm ready for that kind commitment crap yet and change to my routine.  I'm a cumbersome war machine and not quick to change the channel.

She's definitely not a stupid Western liberal so that's something, doubt she's really into politics though.

Also, DuckDuckGo can screw off.  Used to think it was the best browser but now with all the latest menstruation over Ukraine it the search results are dog****.  Trying out Vivaldi but it doesn't seem much different so far...

If she is hot then definitely put some effort in, I have dated lots of single moms and they normally great and have patience with certain things that non-moms might complain about 

Important advice, never expect her to take your side over the kids ...the kids will generally always be the first priority. And unless you prepared to commit to  long term relationship always remember you not the father, I dont believe in replacing the role that the father has unless he is absent and the relationship is long term . And trust me you can have a excellent relationship if you can respect these potential problems 

But when you say she isnt a Western liberal what is she? I have found all the women I spend time with dont really follow or care much about politics or geopolitical events 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Waiting for a meeting to start. So with a wandering mind I wonder: why has no one made a Fallout 4 mod that plays CCR's Fortunate Son at max volume when you're riding a Vertibird?  

• Hmmm 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Coworkers all meeting up for drinks as today is "WASPs go get loaded day", so my afternoon meetings are gone - so can get some work done.

Edited by Malcador

While we are on meetings, I think our head of engineering finally decided that the grooming calls are useless. Here's hoping they get canceled fairly soon.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

7 minutes ago, Sarex said:

While we are on meetings, I think our head of engineering finally decided that the grooming calls are useless. Here's hoping they get canceled fairly soon.

Grooming calls ? The hell kind of business are you in ? 😛

• Haha 1