The All Things Political Topic - As a Bright Lord bears Beacons of flame.

Amentep

4 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

But I don't worry much about weather. 

am s'posing the short clip also applies to the fruits o' clever girl's efforts. two birds. 

HA! Good Fun!

ps am recalling an acquaintance who moved to buffalo from sacramento 'cause o' a promotion. he was an avid skier, so he knew what driving in snow were like and the accommodations one need make for cold weather conditions.

am embarrassed to admit we indulged a bit o' schadenfreude during his first (and only) winter along the shores o' lake erie. 

Edited by Gromnir
  • Haha 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

veteran analyst hears echoes of the 1929 crash in today’s stock market

OK this article did not turn out to be the total s--t show the title suggested. I hear a lot of people claiming we are about to repeat the Great Depression without understanding that the '29 crash was not the sole cause. There was the decade long droughts that ruined the AG business (then and now a huge export), low wage growth, and of course the big kahuna (bank system collapse). In fact the depression didn't really start until 3-4 years later. As far as the stock market is concerned it's going to react negatively to eventual (and necessary) interest rate increases. 

Edit: Where to even begin with everything wrong with this

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Simpsons predicted the future again

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

11 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

Edit: Where to even begin with everything wrong with this

I see two possibilities for this... it becomes a rare collectors item owned by some social media mogul. Alternatively, it becomes as common as the penny is today (the Weimar Republic sends its regards) ;)

PS: Not to be confused with the common penny, which is something different entirely, an Imperial tax introduced in 1495

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Sounds like Nikki Haley is planning a run for POTUS in 2024

There are far worse options on the Republican side than her. Of course anything is better than the poisonous s--t we have endured the last five years. 

The Biden admin is a total s--t show. Getting rid of Trump meant exchanging one set of problems for a different set of problems.  Of course with the state of politics in the US today that was never going to go any other way. Yes @Gromnir, they ARE all bad.  

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Did anyone else's peace of mind go up somewhere between mildly and significantly after Biden got into office and didn't immediately reveal himself to be a two-bit wannabe dictator with an IQ of 2? Short of the U.S. collapsing tomorrow after we default, you're not gonna take that away from me no matter how many times times you say "Biden bad" - I've earned this respite after the last 4 years, thank you very much! :yes:

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

2 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Did anyone else's peace of mind go up somewhere between mildly and significantly after Biden got into office and didn't immediately reveal himself to be a two-bit wannabe dictator with an IQ of 2? Short of the U.S. collapsing tomorrow after we default, you're not gonna take that away from me no matter how many times times you say "Biden bad" - I've earned this respite after the last 4 years, thank you very much! :yes:

LOL! Fair enough. Feckless incompetence is preferable to what we got under the orange menace. I’m just hoping for a day when it’s not a “lesser evil“ choice. Not holding my breath.

• Like 3

Thomas Sowell

3 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Not really. Trump is still here and he's reproduced himself into forms like the pedo Gaetz and the qanon lady. For the next decade we'll have to deal with mini Trumps who will be doing the same **** he did, and there is a good chance one of them will be in the white house in 4 years.

And climate change is going to kill us all lmao.

• Sad 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

3 hours ago, KP the meanie zucchini said:

Not really. Trump is still here and he's reproduced himself into forms like the pedo Gaetz and the qanon lady. For the next decade we'll have to deal with mini Trumps who will be doing the same **** he did, and there is a good chance one of them will be in the white house in 4 years.

And climate change is going to kill us all lmao.

Unfortunately, politics will always be stupid. It's the nature of the beast. Things were no better 20 years ago.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

7 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

have discovered a new fix for reading gd posts. whenever he goes on one of his, "they are all bad" benders and adds, "feckless and," we just read as "honorable but," and sudden the crazy from the post disappears. we has done this issue to death though, so am just gonna do uncharacteristic and take the opportunity to recognize genuine feckless is gd's muted response to the clear abrogation o' rule of law and human decency when considering trump actions at the border, in portland and regarding january 6, in spite o' fact he manufactures outrage over biden comments to reporters. should be embarrassed. isn't. 

the problems biden and Congress face are enormous. perceived incompetence is kinda expected. am nevertheless not gonna argue biden's competence, but am also recognizing that when we listen to the claims from critics o' what biden shoulda' done in __________ or regarding _____________, his shortcomings don't seem near as bad as they does when viewed in a vacuum. am personal one o' the biden critics btw, but at worst he is the banal kinda incompetent we do not lose any sleep concerning.

y'know how many calls we has received since biden became President from colleagues and reporters regarding questions o' whether biden were doing unconstitutional? five. has not been potential end of democracy in the US issues neither. trump were different. in spite o' being retired, during the trump Presidency we were fielding calls with disturbing frequency. anybody who suggests an equivalency 'tween trump excesses and biden thus far is, at best, indulging in space cadet levels o' hyperbolic. no surprise who would be doing such.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Well as PJ O'Rourke put it: "Biden is wrong about everything, but wrong within normal parameters."

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

https://www.propublica.org/article/black-children-were-jailed-for-a-crime-that-doesnt-exist

Judge Donna Scott Davenport oversees a juvenile justice system in Rutherford County, Tennessee, with a staggering history of jailing children. She said kids must face consequences, which rarely seem to apply to her or the other adults in charge.

A few weeks before, a video had appeared on YouTube. It showed two small boys, 5 and 6 years old, throwing feeble punches at a larger boy as he walked away, while other kids tagged along, some yelling. The scuffle took place off school grounds, after a game of pickup basketball. One kid insulted another kid’s mother, is what started it all.
The police were at Hobgood because of that video. But they hadn’t come for the boys who threw punches. They were here for the children who looked on. The police in Murfreesboro, a fast-growing city about 30 miles southeast of Nashville, had secured juvenile petitions for 10 children in all who were accused of failing to stop the fight. Officers were now rounding up kids, even though the department couldn’t identify a single one in the video, which was posted with a filter that made faces fuzzy. What was clear were the voices, including that of one girl trying to break up the fight, saying: “Stop, Tay-Tay. Stop, Tay-Tay. Stop, Tay-Tay.” She was a fourth grader at Hobgood. Her initials were E.J.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Guess we're due for the Antichrist soon.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1 hour ago, Katphood said:

Merkel: 'Ok, now that I am done tidying up the office, it's finally time to start looking for that goddamn dog...SEBASTIAN! Where are you boy?!'

@majestic

What happened, you seemed to like him and support his policies like how the vaccine rollout was handled in the beginning :-

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

37 minutes ago, ComradeYellow said:

What begins? I always find it inaccurate to have an informed opinion of the true political views of citizens in any Constitutional Democracy when the opinion is based on people who participate in that political system and ignores people who simply dont vote ...ever. So in other words these articles dont represent the  " truth " about the political reality of the US because only 55% or so of all US citizens vote

The US and what it stands for is much more complex and nuanced than the current political theater and what we see from the lack of political agreement and compromise  that exists at the moment 

So dont get depressed, these things matter and also dont matter :thumbsup:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Apparently Trump had a rally somewhere this weekend and all but said he’s running for 2024. So any hopes of a GOP return to sanity appear to be vanishing. Maybe he won’t get through the Primaries this time. Maybe support will coalesce around a better candidate. There are a handful of Republicans I would not mind seeing in the White House. Ironically enough I don’t think any of them are planning on running.

Thomas Sowell

7 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

Maybe he won’t get through the Primaries this time. Maybe support will coalesce around a better candidate.

Maybe, but I think it's more likely Trump gets taken out of the race by a heart attack (after all this is a guy who chows down on fast food and thinks exercise is bad for you) than by losing the primary. Given the level of hero worship he has in the GOP, any rivals would immediately alienate the base they need to win the primary.

Though it would be funny to see a bunch of guys aping Trump accuse each other and Daddy Don of fraud and corruption on stage. And then it ends with a ton of lawsuits.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

10 hours ago, BruceVC said:

@majestic

What happened, you seemed to like him and support his policies like how the vaccine rollout was handled in the beginning :-

Yeah, his glorious lordship Sebastian I, Arch-Dollfuß of Austria, is my favorite politician. I hope this misunderstanding clears up really soon so he can get back to steer our great nation through the rough and muddied waters of these uncertain times.

I got a good chuckle out of his butt boy messaging him telling him that "they" (Kurz' inner circle) are his Praetorian Guard. Should have paid more attention in school, I guess. They often made emperors, yes, but they also very readily disposed of them. It's going to be interesting, there are like ten people accused of embezzlement, bribery, incitement of both and, less interesting, perjury, and heaps and heaps of evidence. Yeah, guys, let this be a lesson: Don't play Praetorian Guard on iMessage. Doubly hilarious because the ÖVP was alwasy the first party to try and undermine privacy. Nothing to fear if you got nothing to hide, huh? Well didn't that bite you in the ass.

sticker_2122-512x512.png

Hopefully, someone's going to sing to save their own hide, and if it's just that ridiculous asshat of the "newspaper" they bought fake polls and articles in.

Well, but the Greens, morons that they are, passed up on a chance to free us of the yoke of the ÖVP for a while in favor of continuing the current coalition. A pity, what would I have given to see the rest of the parties trying to work together, just like in Israel.

Edited by majestic
  • Thanks 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.