Question to devs: content complete?

I'm enjoying Deadfire a lot, and I only play the campaign once. At the moment I haven't finished the campaign yet and I haven't played the 2nd and 3rd DLC. Before finishing the campaign, I'd like to ask you if all the content for Deadfire is complete.

In PoE1 I didn't play the White March because I fininished the main campaign before the release of the expansion.

If you have planned to add perhaps new bosses, quests, or another DLC, I'll stop playing now.

Now that the 4.0 and the third DLC is released, is time to finish the campaign or I should wait for more content in 2019?

An answer is much appreciated. Thanks in advance. This game will become in the future a real classic.

• Like 2

I don't know, of course, but given the apparently terrible sales figures, it would be a huge surprise if there was anything more in store.

Incidentally, regarding the sales: I'm at a loss as to what actually happened. The game is better than its predecessor. Where did nearly everybody go?

• Like 2

Incidentally, regarding the sales: I'm at a loss as to what actually happened. The game is better than its predecessor. Where did nearly everybody go?

with niche stuff - in games and music - i feel its more helpful to think of commercial failure as the norm and success as the aberration.

poe1 benefited from kickstarter hype and nostalgia that was going unfulfilled. deadfire suffered from kickstarter fatigue, diminshing returns, also maybe cos poe1 was a less comforting beast than people wanted.

like bg1 + bg2 had a certain naive creativity that was part of their appeal. poe is... many things but not naive - is controlled, weary, low-key, cynical. then dos2 came along and more accurately channeled bg's goofiness. rip.

i guess there are always things obs can - and could have - done to push game harder. but ultimately, i think success is in lap of gods regardless of how good output is. there no end of people out there doing great work with no recognition.

atm outer worlds getting major hype bcs beth shat the bed with fo76. is hard to say what would have happened without that factor.

also just remembered one thing. poe now stands for 'path of exile' if u ask most gamers. discussion of that acronym now draws eyeballs and thoughts in different direction. is maybe not big thing in grand scheme, but these all add up.

im curious as to what they plan to do after forgotten sanctum. id imagine its just a few more patches and qol changes. such things are always welcome, if not exciting.

I AM A RENISANCE MAN

Why stop playing? Do you only play a game once?

I can see his point perfectly well. The narrative is only new once, and since it contains no surprises, why repeat it?

I'm usually in this boat, but I love the Deadfire setting and the game has a lot of reactivity regarding what companions and classes you fiddle with. So it might be worth replaying ;)

• Like 1

Nerf Troubadour!

It will become a classic. An overlooked gem at release. Give it time.

("Unless it will be known as that pet chomper game that lets you torture innocent dogs")

• Like 6

Nerf Troubadour!

This game is a classic. It's beautiful, but even in 1999 when I lost my virginity with Baldur's Gate, I only played it once, as all IE games.

If one dev says: "Hey men, Deadfire is complete, you can expect some small patches only", for me it will be ok and I'll finish my campaign.

In the picture of DLC cronology in 2019 they put "More to come", so it would be great that one dev could write some words here an tell us if deadfire is finished or not.

I don't know, of course, but given the apparently terrible sales figures, it would be a huge surprise if there was anything more in store.

With Microsoft as future publisher, i can not see an PoE 3 either. I like the game very much, i don't know why it sells so badly.

i guess there are always things obs can - and could have - done to push game harder. but ultimately, i think success is in lap of gods regardless of how good output is. there no end of people out there doing great work with no recognition.

This is a good point and worth reiterating: success is indeed in the lap of the gods. When it comes to the means for reaching success, the great film producer Samuel Goldwyn famously said: "Nobody knows anything." He was referring to the fact that neither budget, nor stars, nor anything else is ultimately a guarantee of success. This used to be just anecdotal, but it has subsequently been statistically proven by Arthur de Vany et al., who've studied the math of extreme uncertainty in the film industry.

The same logic (i.e. the lack of all discernible logic) applies to the music business, and I'm pretty sure it applies to the game business as well. Nobody knows anything.

(Incidentally, do you know what's the best predictor of major success? Surprisingly, it appears to be good early word of mouth. And that's something that cannot be generated, it either appears or it does not.)

• Like 1

Why stop playing? Do you only play a game once?

I can see his point perfectly well. The narrative is only new once, and since it contains no surprises, why repeat it?

Yes, and if the game was narrowly focused on the narrative that would make sense. But it's not--it's an open-world game that focuses much more on sidequests. The narrative may not contain anything new the second time around, but you may find new islands, new quests, allying with a different factions creates a whole different side story, etc.

• Like 2

Bad marketing, niche genre, previews stating they were playing it safe. It didn't do much to draw in a new audience essentially. But with the game more polished and all major content released maybe we will see more sales. I kinda wish I waited. Edited by Verde

Well, I do not think that something big is comming for it and Forgotten Sanctum was the last big addition.

Personally I play good games usually twice. Once when I get the game ( but I wait at least for the first patch) and much later I play it again when all content is out.

There are so many good games, I play very slow and I am a completionist.

i guess i should post this in the sawyer thread, but hes just said on tumblr theres no more dlc, but one more magrans fire to drop and theyll be supporting deadfire in near future.

so think well be getting a few patches/fixes at least, if no more major content.

EDIT:

This is a good point and worth reiterating: success is indeed in the lap of the gods. When it comes to the means for reaching success, the great film producer Samuel Goldwyn famously said: "Nobody knows anything." He was referring to the fact that neither budget, nor stars, nor anything else is ultimately a guarantee of success. This used to be just anecdotal, but it has subsequently been statistically proven by Arthur de Vany et al., who've studied the math of extreme uncertainty in the film industry.

The same logic (i.e. the lack of all discernible logic) applies to the music business, and I'm pretty sure it applies to the game business as well. Nobody knows anything.

im not the biggest austrian economics dude - it aint my field in general - but this is where hayek, taleb etc seem quite useful.

(Incidentally, do you know what's the best predictor of major success? Surprisingly, it appears to be good early word of mouth. And that's something that cannot be generated, it either appears or it does not.)

ye and sadly, we crpg cats arent known for stanning things hard. if anything, we do the opposite. maybe we should be taking cues from the beyhive and the little monsters etc.

Edited by Triple - A Foxy Lad

I AM A RENISANCE MAN

hope for more major dlc and poe3 are slim to none

no matter how strong some of the poe2's strength are

it still didn't get enough attention

Pillars 3 will happen the question is how far out is it and will it be isometric. It might behoove Obsidian to let the mainline franchise sit dormant for a few years (maybe make a smaller spin off in a different subgenre) to increase anticipation for POE3.

I love both Pillars of Eternity games.

It's obvious that I want more content even to the first game. 

If not a big dlc with new areas, maybe an item pack with more soulbound, unique, class specific stuff.

And a Berath Blessing with more ability points and spell casts.

With Microsoft as future publisher, i can not see an PoE 3 either. I like the game very much, i don't know why it sells so badly.

I think there will be more games in the PoE setting for sure, though may not carry the PoE title. They will likely be more towards AAA, open-world, third-person perspective ARPG.

As a newcomer to the PoE series, here's what I observed from more mainstream gaming sites.

1) Every discussion about PoE2 pre-release outside of topics strictly about PoE2 itself was always marred by comparisons to Divinty Original Sin 2.

2) As a tangent to the above, there appears to be a resurgence of people that want a turn-based game, and it would appear that real time with pause is being looked down upon more and more these days.

3) Bad marketing, you pretty much never hear about the game outside of dedicated topics. Hell, with the release of SSS and Forgotten Sanctum, you can't find discussion on either outside of said dedicated topics, which are usually pretty dead now as is.

4) As a tangent to the above, bad word of mouth. Part of it is people really displeased with the pacing of the main game. As a tangent to that, quite a number of people are also displeased with the large amount of DLCs being announced pretty much at release, and assumed that the game's overall quality will operate under the assumption that you will get them all. Even streamers like CohhCarnage have explicitly avoided streaming any of the DLC until all three have been released, to do another full playthrough of all of them at once.

5) The other part of it is that Obsidian's reputation of releasing games that are broken at release has become very overblown as of late, though PoE2 did little to alleviate this image (depending on what people's definition of 'broken' is, could mean the DLC stuff above too).

6) The game's a direct sequel to the first, and the first game didn't exactly hit it into the mainstream either.

Edited by Saito Hikari