TV's Vast Wasteland

Amentep

Huh, I somehow didn't thought there would be another season of Luther. Damn, if I had known this earlier, I would have watched it this weekend.

• Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Bandersnatch on Netflix, a choose your own adventure Black Mirror movie. I think it was pretty fantastic at points.

It for sure proved that 80ies music makes for superior soundtracks. Well and that Eurythmics were the bomb.

edit:

My favorite scene was the fight with Stefan's psychiatrist, but in general I liked the episode better before he became aware of what is going on.

Edited by majestic

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

• Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

"TV" related maybe - guess I missed my chance to see Avengers via Netflix with their Disney relationship over. And The Black Panther, although I had little interest in that one. I could rent it via Amazon but eh.

And...I will agree that 80's music makes for great soundtracks! Some 70's music, too. :biggrin:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

HBO? I'm willing to consider it being good.

• Like 2
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

• Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

^If you mean Infinity War, I just watched it again over the weekend on Netfix.

Interesting.

I'd checked on Mon. or Tues via PS4 and Amazon's FireTV unit. Black Panther was no longer in my Watchlist and search for Avengers didn't show it.

I fired up Netflix via PC browser and they're there.

Interesting. (edit - I'd read articles that such were disappearing soon at any rate, I guess it's happening faster on non-pc methods?)

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Not a guarantee of quality anymore. Jeremy Irons though. 

What did they screw up? I liked Westworld season 2.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Bonanza.

I'm watchong Bonanza, realy nice remastered in HD abd colors have been restored! :)

What did they screw up? I liked Westworld season 2.

HBO definitely had issues a few years back. True Detective S2, Vinyl etc left them with basically just GoT on the 'quality' drama front while the big new comedy program The Brink also failed. True Detective also got them criticised for rushing a 2nd season- something HBO as a premium channel is expected not to do in principle- with it being severely under cooked as a result and Vinyl was an extremely expensive flop that was basically HBO checklist programming: high profile show runner and associated names! nudity! drugs! big budget! success! Not. And while Westworld is critically well received it's very expensive to make and its ratings aren't great. There was also the very expensive Luck fiasco a few years previous and The Newsroom was both stultifyingly moralistic and monumentally self satisfied and overwritten- Last Week Tonight is a huge improvement since at least John Oliver is meant to be an insufferable blow hard and played for laughs.

Their programming has had the same problem that Netflix has now really, trying too hard for Event TV and sometimes coming off as an parody of themselves instead. Seems a lot better now that they've relaxed a bit instead of trying to get a GoT replacement made every year.

Edited by Zoraptor
  • Like 1

HBO isn't a guarantee of quality anymore but Jeremy Irons is?

Mind you, I'm saying this as a Jeremy Irons fan.

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I mostly agree with Hurlshot here.

The problem I've been having with HBO (and most original content providers) is that I'm just not interested in what they've been putting out rather than it being an issue with quality.

But maybe that's just my experience

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

IMO there are three big problems with 'quality' drama. I'll exclude comedy because by and large I dislike recent comedies so can't be objective about their quality.

1) Mistaking expensive with quality- too much money result in spending on extraneous guff that actually detracts from quality

2) Over reliance on auteur creators- spend the money on getting them, give them complete control, find out they really need a decent EP looking over their shoulder later

3) Thinking complicated inherently equals quality- it doesn't

with the overarching one being shooting straight for Event TV, rather than quality TV that becomes Event TV. Something like Breaking Bad would be a prime example of doing it right; not expensive for the sake of it, attention paid to details rather than style, little known (in drama terms) actors who own their role, a writer who was mostly known for X Files episodes and script management- albeit quality X Files episodes- beforehand. It got its following because the acting was great, the characters compelling, the scripting fantastic and the plotting rock solidly consistent. It's not even realistic in absolute terms, but you're able to completely suspend disbelief because it's so consistently and well presented. In the end it got massive success despite still looking pretty cheap and actually being, at heart, a pretty simple and straightforward story that was just told superbly.

The early seasons of GoT actually followed that formula pretty well- if it had started out with an Event TV budget from the outset we'd have had a lot of time dedicated to the Whispering Wood/ Riverrun battles etc in the first few seasons because, well, battles are cool; but they weren't really necessary to show and would have taken time  from the worldbuilding that established the franchise.

In contrast something like Westworld is like a game where the developer got too much money and starts packing in extra stuff that isn't necessary from the get go. It doesn't mean it's bad, it's just over engineered and over complicated in about every respect*, and mostly it seems for the sake of it. I like Westworld well enough but I can't help but think that it would be a lot better and way more sustainable long term if they'd dialed everything down a level. Ultimately if it costs that much to make and doesn't drive enough subscriptions it will end up cancelled like Rome or Deadwood not because it's bad or has no viewers but because, well, it's too expensive- and WW S2 did shed viewers.

*yet I like Legion overall and it's over complicated; probably because it's more stylised.

• Like 1

The problem I've been having with HBO (and most original content providers) is that I'm just not interested in what they've been putting out rather than it being an issue with quality.

But maybe that's just my experience

I've been the same way for a while now. It's not that I think their shows are low quality, they just have not captured my personal interest enough for me to get past a few episodes. I really only super-loved the first season of Rome - 1st season of GoT was all right too, stopped watching not long after. Showtime shows, the same. Which is why I didn't mind giving up cableTV sub.

Edited by LadyCrimson

The Walking Dead seems to have been scattered since the 3rd season or so. It's gone down the rabbit hole and back with tons of weirdness. With The Whisperers being the newest addition, I'm even more sure that I've given up on the series long ago, it only confirms I've made the right choice as it seems like they're more or less sanding the oysters.

I'm not sure how dressing as zombies strike as clever strategy in a zombie apocalypse but I'm guessing it's just another lame way to introduce something like "Zombie taming" and such. Meh.