TV's Vast Wasteland

Amentep

Daredevil is cancelled.

Unbelievable. That also means once they air the new episodes of Jessica Jones, it is cancelled as well.

It boggles the mind that they've chosen to cancel Daredevil after this latest season - their best work without a doubt - and choose to nevertheless carry on with the execrable Jessica Jones for some odd reason. Go home, Netflix, you're drunk.

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

I'd be very surprised if this isn't the last season of Jessica Jones too. I think she snuck in there by already being deep into in production when they decided to start axing the shows

PS I believe Agents of SHIELD airs on ABC first which is owned by Disney

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

I wouldn't be surprised if Shield's renewal was influenced by how well Discovery did for CBS. Cult shows- even back catalogue of cult shows- drive subscriptions.

I'm unconvinced that any of the cancelled Netflix Marvel shows were cancelled in the conventional sense. The popularity of Daredevil is such that it will be on Disney+ as a headline item once the contract with Netflix ran out, so the option for Netflix is to continue building recognition and audience for what will be a competitor's product, or to stop. Disney has been pulling content from Netflix for well over a year.

It's also not like Disney hasn't been known to put pressure on those who hold contracts with them once those contracts become inconvenient and they want them to return to the mothership.

The popularity of Daredevil is such that it will be on Disney+ as a headline item once the contract with Netflix ran out..

Not Disney+ due to the age restriction. Maybe Hulu now that Disney owns most of it via the Fox purchase, but in any case the Marvel-Netflix contract was running out in 2019 and there's no way it would be renewed.

The popularity of Daredevil is such that it will be on Disney+ as a headline item once the contract with Netflix ran out..

Not Disney+ due to the age restriction. Maybe Hulu now that Disney owns most of it via the Fox purchase, but in any case the Marvel-Netflix contract was running out in 2019 and there's no way it would be renewed.

Actually, that does bring up the question of how Disney is going to tackle (or if) their more mature properties on their streaming service. This whole thing has great potential to become a dumpster fire, specially when fans of the shows get riled.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Surprised Shield is getting a 7th season tbh.

I'm still undecided on what I should think about the show getting a sixth season, let alone a seventh one.

I started to watch the show because Clark Gregg reprised his role as Phil Coulson - and while I stayed for the team, its interactions, the fun and the action, at the end of the day Coulson was the central figure I'm not sure they can do without. I try to imagine how the show could be without him and all that comes to mind is X-Files season 8 and 9 (and while I think that outside the Myth Arc both season 8 and 9 had some terrific episodes and that both Annabeth Gish and Robert Patrick did a fine job it just wasn't the same any more).

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I'd be very surprised if this isn't the last season of Jessica Jones too. I think she snuck in there by already being deep into in production when they decided to start axing the shows

That was probably the case. So Punisher is done too. :(

If Marvel/Disney was not completely crazy, they didn't sign deals with Netflix similar to the ones with Sony and Fox. So they should get the characters back again soon.

2019? Ok, it's close enough. :sweat:

I'm still undecided on what I should think about the show getting a sixth season, let alone a seventh one.

I started to watch the show because Clark Gregg reprised his role as Phil Coulson - and while I stayed for the team, its interactions, the fun and the action, at the end of the day Coulson was the central figure I'm not sure they can do without. I try to imagine how the show could be without him and all that comes to mind is X-Files season 8 and 9 (and while I think that outside the Myth Arc both season 8 and 9 had some terrific episodes and that both Annabeth Gish and Robert Patrick did a fine job it just wasn't the same any more).

Well said. Season 4 was fantastic so I still have hopes for what is to come.

Imho they should cancel AoS and make an "Agents of SWORD" series with the same characters. In Hulu, preferably. But that is only a dream...

sign.jpg

Netflix cancelled Marvel series won't be picked up by Disney Streaming

Daredevil, Luke Cage, and Iron Fist won't be returning on the Disney+ streaming service. According to sources, the canceled Marvel shows are officially finished. Daredevil was canceled earlier this week, much to the shock of fans all over the world. In protest, hardcore fans have been canceling their Netflix subscriptions, blaming the cancellation of the hit show as their reasoning in the comments section. It has been speculated that all of the canceled Marvel shows were going to make a return on the Disney+ streaming platform.

While Marvel fans have been holding out hope that Daredevil, Luke Cage, and Iron Fist will show up on Disney+, Rolling Stone TV critic Alan Sepinwall says that it isn't going to happen. Apparently Marvel Studios and Marvel TV executives don't get along very well, which is a shame since the Netflix shows are still loved by fans. Sepinwall had this to say about the canceled shows.

"The execs have already said they don't want these shows on the Disney service. And even if they did, the nature of the contracts would make it virtually impossible. They're done."

Alan Sepinwall goes on to say that if Marvel wanted to take the shows to Disney+, they'd have to start from scratch because of contracts. With that being said, this is not an official statement from Marvel, so it's still possible that the shows could make a comeback, though it looks like it would be pretty difficult. After Netflix announced the cancellation of Daredevil, Marvel released a statement promising that the beloved character will show up again sometime in the future, which left fans with a little bit of hope.

Jessica Jones and The Punisher are the only Marvel shows on Netflix that are still standing, though it is believed that they will be canceled as well after their new seasons. Jon Bernthal is returning as Frank Castle for Season 2 of The Punisher at the beginning of next year. No release date has been announced as of this writing. Jessica Jones is expected to return to Netflix for Season 3 in the middle of next year, which means that both shows will likely be canceled sometime next year, which could be bad news for fans who have supported these shows over the last few years.

Even though it looks highly unlikely that Daredevil, Luke Cage, and Iron Fist will move over to the Disney+ streaming platform, the shows could technically get picked up by another platform, but that seems just as unlikely. For the time being, it looks like Marvel Studios wants to focus on the big screen future as well as their small screen counterparts on the Disney+ service.

Edited by Raithe

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Fresh content makes a bigger splash. I'm not surprised. Since Shield is a network show, they probably renewed so they can make it only streamable on their new service one it comes out. Decent way to drag people over, then hit 'em with the new stuff.

Is anybody seriously considering subscribing to Disney's new streaming service? I'm genuinely curious.

I will wait to see what kind of content they produce. I'm not going to subscribe to if it will be a backlog of Disney movies and cartoons (will probably censor/exclude the racist ones) or their Disney Channel TV shows. Plus, I still doubt that they have enough mature content to reach older demographics and they're having to start from scratch. The only thing they can do is hold their brands hostage and force people to use their service.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

Probably not. I usually hit the major blockbuster movies through the year if I want to see them at all, and I haven't really been into any of Disney's shows. Unless they have a strong portfolio of licensed movies or step up their game in developing unique niche series then there probably won't be much for me. I don't even have enough time to watch everything I want to see on Netflix, Amazon and HBO. Disney has to net something interesting. Amazon just nabbed a Lord of the Rings and Wheel of Time series.

As of now I don't know of any worthwhile existing IP that Disney is pursuing, and what they have is being run thin. Right now Disney is working to consolidate 20th Century Fox and I'm not sure there is really much in that portfolio that I'm interested in seeing off of the theater screen.

Is anybody seriously considering subscribing to Disney's new streaming service? I'm genuinely curious.

Anyone with kids probably would, it will have a massive back catalogue of recognisable brands. Anyone outside the US (at launch at least) or who is interested in a more rounded portfolio or mature content, probably not. Would also depend on price too, of course.

Disney+ won't be available here so I didn't pay much attention to it, but I would have thought pro entertainment journos would at least know about it having a PG13 restriction which would obviously mean none of the Netflix series would end up there. Took me literally 2 minutes* when I bothered to look to find that out, and that if they were to go anywhere it would be to Hulu who Disney now mostly own and who already have, for example, Marvel's Runaways there already.

*and that included finding out when the Netflix/ Marvel contract expired too (2019), which basically no professionals seem to have bothered checking.

DC Universe Streaming App is making some really good money.

If Disney+ Denied any and all Marvel Netslix cancelled shows (which is what happened), that means that a Marvel streaming seevice app may also be in the works - and why shouldn't it? Marvel has more than enough content to have a streaming app, just as DC does.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Damn this is like a couple years back when everyone had to subscribe to channels on the regular tv. Now you just have to subscribe to all the streaming services and sometimes even add sub-channels to the bill. So annoying. I thought we made it past this with internet streaming, but it just started all over again.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I know that its against the forum's policy but I'd like to remind everyone that there are free alternatives to streaming services. Yarr! :skull:

village_idiot.gif

I'm starting with Star Trek DS9 season 4 today. Is it just me or did Sisko's character change once he got a beard? I felt like he is kinda behaving different now.

/Edit: Oh no, Sisko is with beard AND bald now. He became 100% evil from season 3 to 4.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 2

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

As long as Worf is no where near Star Trek, then Star Trek is fine.

Michael Dorn as Kalibak = Good

Michael Dorn as Worf = Bad

Worf sucks! We deserve a better black Spock!

I know that its against the forum's policy but I'd like to remind everyone that there are free alternatives to streaming services. Yarr! :skull:

DC Universe Streaming service has tons of things that make it more than a just a streaming service though. It's far superior than Netflix and Hulu which I canceled because they cheat the subscribers.

DC Universe Streaming service is worth more than what they ask for, it's the only seevice that offers that kind of value. A true DC Comics fan would have to be a fool to say no, unlesd they cannot afford.

Things that you get with DC Universe Streaming App:

-Movies

-Shows

-Unlimited Comics

-Interviews

-Chatroom

-Forums

-Official customer reviews that writers, cast, and artists respond too

-Sweepstakes

-Exclusive subscriber store for stuff that you can't find on ebay or amazon

-4k streaming

And more. You just can't get these type of things from any alternative.

Edited by SonicMage117

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Currently watching...

Survivor: David vs Goliath!

So far it's basically pro wrestlers beating the crap outta D&D players. Preps vs Nerds. Muscle vs Brains. Cool vs Uncool. Blessed and taken vs cursed abd forever lonely lmao

Christian looks like Ricky Moranis, the definition of computer nerds which seems right on considering he is in robotics club and design algorism slide puzzles lol

Very entertaining 10/10

I wonder who will win.

I'm starting with Star Trek DS9 season 4 today. Is it just me or did Sisko's character change once he got a beard? I felt like he is kinda behaving different now.

/Edit: Oh no, Sisko is with beard AND bald now. He became 100% evil from season 3 to 4.

Bald Sisko is best Sisko

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra