TV's Vast Wasteland

Amentep

Yeah, I'm not sure the best way to go about an increase in subs is to make more Trek as opposed to better Trek, especially in light of the failure of the shotgun approach used by Disney with Star Wars. But maybe that's why I'm not helming a multi-billion media conglomerate.

It also left the Trek universe in a state that would be perfect for any sequel show. I'll spoiler mark this for Lexx since he's watching for the first time, anyway:

Wasn't this the background for the plot of Insurrection? The movie wasn't great and the whole admiral whatshisface's subplot was idiotic, but it showed how those ramifications could call into question the monolithic Fully Automated Luxury Gay Space Communism trope in ST. The Maquis subplot also offered glimpses of that, but it wasn't explored too much, even with the darker mood of DS9.

There was an Enterprise episode about life in a civilian freighter. It was interesting because it showed the (early) Trek universe from a perspective that isn't the lofty perch of a Starfleet captain's chair that we're used to. So maybe a "space trucker" Trek could put a fresh spin on a formula that, to me, is a bit stale.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Kaka Trails was on Pluto today. I've never seen so much BS in my life but my is it a fun time.

Also, Manifest on Hulu is so-so. Watchable.

Titans is still number 1 in my book. It's just tol damn good for it's own good.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

The Outlaw King.

I know finding a good writer in these times is like trying to find diamond's on a pig's arse but would it be too much to ask for Netflix to get someone that knows what they're doing. No big battles, no real impactful moments and a large portion of Gaelic singing. The **** did I just watch.

I think I figured out the Netflix business model, it is the same model that made Hollywood. Produce cheap **** fast and fill in the time slots.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Angel's Egg, an anime movie from 1985. You can find it on YouTube, but I wont link it here, because I'm not sure how legally it is in there.

It's a movie I understand less of now that I have seen it. I warmly recommend everyone to watch it so I'm not the only one who feels stupid.  

• Like 2

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Angel's Egg, an anime movie from 1985. You can find it on YouTube, but I wont link it here, because I'm not sure how legally it is in there.

It's a movie I understand less of now that I have seen it. I warmly recommend everyone to watch it so I'm not the only one who feels stupid.  

If it makes you feel better Mamoru Oshii, the co-writer and director, has said even he doesn't know what it is about.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

It's fantastic. Also made by Mamoru Oshii, the man behind Ghost in the Shell and the first two Patlabor films. As a friend of mine once put it, the magic in his cinema comes from the 'pauses' he's able to find and create in his films, the more oneiric segments such as the water bus sequence in Ghost in the Shell or the monologue about peace in Patlabor 2 help evoke a very distant otherworldliness to his depictions of Tokyo and so on in these particular films. Anglel's Egg is practically a 70-minute temporal stasis, it's these moments at their purest, and the result is quite the experience. The imagery, the music, the mood, it's all really fantastic throughout, love it.

Edited by algroth
  • Like 1

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

People link illegally shared music on YouTube here in the "what're you listening to" thread all the time. Pretty sure it falls on YouTube, not us.

If it's anything like Ghost in the Shell (which I loved the music and atmosphere of, but thought basically everything else was super mediocre at best), it's probably not for me.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Jack Reacher is apparently getting rebooted as a tv show, ala Jack Ryan.  The author has finally admitted that Tom Cruise is a little on the short side to play a character described as "towering".

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I'm happy that Young Justice is one of the most popular cartoons right now. Can't wait for this, these new kids are more interesting than the Justice League and well... Supes and Bats are getting old. That's Apokalips btw!

• Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

wtf - I try to go to Dramafever site and it just has this big announcement page of "being shutdown immediately." Stuff happens, things go kaput, I get that, but what I'm peeved about is no announcement to subscribers? The site loaded up fine last night, btw. No email, no "go here to deal w/your account" link on the website, nothing. Will they auto-cancel the CC sub for me? What's going on? Thanks, Warner Brother's. Not.

https://www.dramafever.com/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tamarherman/2018/10/16/warner-bros-asian-drama-hub-dramafever-to-shut-down-immediately/

Crimson, you tried Rakuten Viki out? They've got a pretty massive selection of series and films which include much of Dramafever's content. Worth checking out if you haven't yet.

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Well, my nut-loving friends..

Here it is, a pic if the final look for Henry Cavill as Geralt, much different than thst teaser.

I'm glad no facial hair actually. He looks perfect for the role.

post-173997-0-12590700-1542504931_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Henry Cavill as Geralt

Not that I have anything invested in this film, but that does look better than the trailer. A tad more naturalistic perhaps.

For some reason tho - and this is me being terribly and unfairly nitpicky - the cleft chin doesn't work for me in this case. Worked for Supes/Kent. Just not here. Can't say why. heh.

There was a decent YT opinion vid re: the no beard and how it's based not on Witcher 3 but earlier games where he had no beard (the vid had game footage from those earlier chr. versions), which seems a reasonable explanation/nothing to be fussed over. If it succeeds enough for sequels, he can have the beard later.

• Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Right? I assume he will grow a beard as the show progresses, kinda like Amell did on Arrow. That would be neat!

I also hope they have a shot of him walking down a street and a cat hissing/growling at him but that is probably wishful thinking :)

You'd never think that Prometheus from Arrow is actually a Puerto Rican because he does such a great everyday Caucasian American lol Here we see/hear his real ethnicity come out

https://youtu.be/m8_oe3-bmqw

• Like 2

Ballad of Buster Scruggs was fantastic.

enthusiastic agreement.  is the most impressive tv we has seen in a long time.  the coen's signature banter is present in several stories, but we were floored by the taciturn meal ticketall gold canyon were thematic a bit incongruous with the other stories, but even so, we found the enetriety to be well-acted, solid directed and impeccable filmed.  bookend with streets o' laredo and the unfortunate rake were a nice musical touch. gonna watch this one a few times to see everything we missed.

HA! Good Fun!

ps includes the best james franco performance in... anything. 

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

If it actually gets made, which doesn't sound too likely.

And really, who could they get to play Khan after Montalban? Not like Rinkydink Pumpkinpatch worked out too well, albeit that was largely the script and JJ wanting to make Star Wars fault instead of his but following on from such an iconic performance certainly didn't help. I can't think of anyone who I'd be confident in doing it well.