What are you playing right now?

Blarghagh

Yeah, my sub runs out next week and I don't think I'll resub. Haven't even touched it in two weeks. I just don't feel like I can actively progress my character, which is bad in a progression MMO. I can't set goals, I just have to do everything and hope something pays off. I can handle grinding, but I need to grind FOR something.

Doesn't help that I main an Ele Shammy, which apparently is getting entirely redone next patch because of how bad it is. Groups far, far below my ilvl reject me simply because I'm a Shammy.

Well, haven't gotten to that stage yet, but I've always played Fire mage (for the first time ever levelling was such a chore I switched to Frost for that) and from what I'm reading the same fate awaits. Something to look forward to...

Soul Calibur 6 Beta is off the hook! Been playing it for a few, very addicting and nobody seems to suck.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

I'm back in WoW too, sort of, but not really. Noticed a few of my old guildies were back, some after absences of several years, so I figured I'd pop in and shoot the breeze a little. Didn't cost me anything because I bought the expansion with gold (a little 500k gold will do it), so I figured why not.

Hit 120 yesterday. Story is still the same old, constantly being forced to stand still like a slackjawed idiot while the villains monologue then walk away. WoW writing in general feels like a bored DM running the same module for the umpteenth time, just changing the names every time to keep it "fresh". And to top it all off, I restart my dungeoneering career by doing 6-year old dungeons because it's Timewalking weekend.

Still, it's good to see my old guild still alive and mostly functional after all these years. An old bank guild we converted into a raiding guild way back in 2007 - god, has it really been 11 years now? My gaming hours are no longer compatible with our raid times but I might tag along to a few farm raids when the opportunity comes along. Taking it purely on a month-to-month basis for sure.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Can do TX in D3, bit fragile but eh, guess I have won the season

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Finished Spider-Man.  Did not enjoy the final boss fight.  Felt like all my skills and abilities learned were useless and I could just spam the regular web shooter.  Also hated the part when the entire building was on fire and I had to aim at the high vantage points to keep from burning, all while trying to grab those flying items using L1+R1.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Playing Telltale's Batman, just finished Episode I. I really like it. I was hoping to play my Bruce as irresponsible playboy Bruce instead of social crusader Bruce, but you can't have everything.

I guess I finally get what people said when they said the engine is **** and dated. Faces just look funny half the time.

Also I finished 428 Shibuya Scramble. Pretty good.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Not too thrilled with the sneaking, non Spider-Man parts.  One of my minor grievances with the game.

ENG_20180912.x60343.png

https://cad-comic.com/comic/dampener/ (in case image doesn't load)

Ironically, it was the Miles parts, not the Mary Jane parts, that annoyed me. ;)

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

The big gripe with Star Control origins is that you can't select how much of a resource you wish to sell. There is only a sell all button. So I either sell all my uranium or none.

That said, I love the variety in aliens. I like how much more alive the universe now seems.

The story and aliens are all a bit derivative. But not in a bad way. The Drenkend remind of the Thraddash and the Shofixti. The Mowlings remind me of the Shofixti. The Menkmack are a mix of Druudge and Umgah. But the Trandals have some Umgah in them as well. No alien species is a direct copy, but all bring something of the old games back into it.

The bottom line though is that of the games I recently tried to get started with:

Deus Ex: Mankind Devided - 3 hours

All Walls Must Fall - 81 minutes

Master of Orion - 71 minutes

Ash of Gods - 3 hours

Frozen Synapse 2 - 2 hours

Star Control: Origins - 29 hours and counting

Edited by melkathi

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Wolfenstein or Batman Arkham Knight: Which should I play now?

I kind of want to take a break from the superhero theme after spending the past couple of weeks on Spider-Man, but at the same time I'm also kind of into the superhero thing at the moment and might lose interest if I shelf it until afterward.

If you haven't played it already, Arkham Knight is actually pretty amazing. Despite the hate that the poor pc version/port got, it's worth all the hype (they fixed it a couple years later) so posiitive credit to the programmers.

If you've played the other 3 Arkham games, it's another reason to play Arkham Knight. Aside from that, rumors circulating within the company (Rocksteady) suggests the reason we haven't and aren't getting another Arkham game atm is only because they are working on a Justice League game, I suspect it will dwarf Arkham Knight (which has alot of content). They confirmed it wasn't because pc gamers were unhappy with the port, they basically said FU to the PC gamers with the grudge and deserve our support for that alone. We get what quality we long for and Rocksteady is/has been always quality :)

Wolfenstein: The New Order is also good too, far better than the classics and Return To Wolfenstein (sorry commies!). I haven't played The New Colossus so I can't comment on that.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Not a fan of Knight, actually. Too much car/tank. Like the only boss battle that doesn't involve the tank is the crappy riddler fight.

Anyway, I had to stop halfway into episode 2 of Batman season 2 to say how much I love their version of Harley. She's intimidating. She doesn't act ditzy and random, she's a thug and a kingpin that plays it off as being a joke. And then she just... changes. Starts claiming that she's against violence, it's the other guys who are trouble, and she sells it. I know she's being manipulative, but I want to believe her.

And their version of Joker is just kind of fun. He's still like his season 1 self, seeming more like he's just playful and misled. And I can't justify not treating him like a friend who simply needs a nudge in the right direction.

But he's the Joker, so you just have to wait for it all to blow up. Is he playing you or is something coming that makes him?

Okay, now they're just giving it all away, aren't they? This Harley isn't really interested in him. She actually tries to come onto Bruce Wayne a couple times. And the pictures of Joker and Harley have Harley creeped out. The obsession in this world is the other way around. And should something happen to Harley, Joker won't take it well.

I loathed Remember Me.

The game that kept interrupting itself with even more tutorials

I agree that they did get annoying.

However, the story is still a better and more original cyberpunk story than I've seen in any other Cyberpunk game.

Finished it and the ending actually made sense too, besides the horrid interuptions and awful combat.

Edited by SonicMage117

Not a fan of Knight, actually. Too much car/tank. Like the only boss battle that doesn't involve the tank is the crappy riddler fight.

Wow. You actually scoured the map for the eleventy billion collectibles needed to actually get to the fight? Hats off.

I liked Knight but the district clearing got old relatively quick. And yeah, too much tank. I liked Origins the most. Which is funny because it's the only one not by Rocksteady.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I loved Origins as well, because I liked the mercenary theme (We hire you number of villains to take out this new guy dressed like a bat, he's been a problem). I also liked the snow. Idk why it's the most hated in the community, weird.

At times I like to return to Asylum, it's the smallest game but there's something quite charming about it (its not nostalgia but maybe something similar).

Onto Batman season 2 Episode 3. Only this far in and I can tell how they would have turned this into a trilogy. And I can feel sad it will never be.

Batman/Catwoman stories are among my favorite in comics. It's probably why The Long Holloween is one of my top 5 comic stories of all time. And I'm no Batman fan. Dark Knight Returns is garbage, Killing Joke is just okay. But when Batman and Catwoman team up, I'm there. Like Heart of Hush has this absolutely beautiful ending until the final page where it gets thrown away between page turns and I become glad DC tossed that entire continuity for screwing them up like that.

I need more games with non-happy endings. I don't mean "game over" screens or you hit the wrong button/wrong choice and the world explodes/game over/reload.

...50 years (well, ok, 45 years) of happy/heroic endings in most entertainment and I'm tired of them. I need more character tragedy, pathos, ambiguous and bittersweet that builds and escalates throughout the whole game. Anything come to mind? :p

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

well in Torment IIRC you end up in hell fighting endless war, there is that i suppsoe

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I need more games with non-happy endings. I don't mean "game over" screens or you hit the wrong button/wrong choice and the world explodes/game over/reload.

...50 years (well, ok, 45 years) of happy/heroic endings in most entertainment and I'm tired of them. I need more character tragedy, pathos, ambiguous and bittersweet that builds and escalates throughout the whole game. Anything come to mind? :p

SOMA?

• Like 3

Final Fantasy VI
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Soma is a great example of a true non-happy ending.

Transistor, Life Is Strange, Layers Of Fear, Pyre, Oxenfree... Idk there are so many games that I've played with sad endings lol

Also.......

Most horror games have sad endings, and tis the season.

Tales of Zestiria, Tales of Berseria, Tales of Xillia duology.

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Mass Effect 3 has an ending that made almost no one happy.  Does that count? ;)

• Like 6