Political Thread XX

Amentep

Almost doge like on that first tweet.   Also it was the metadata being forwarded on rather than all of it, seems odd.  Wonder what'll come from it, seems most relevant people are fired or gone due to being political appointments.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

But, he'd probably have been drummed out of the navy well previous if he was John Bloggs instead of John McCain as his record for hot dogging and crashing planes was extremely poor. 

To be fair, he probably wouldn't have been a pilot in the first place, so we are dealing with some big what-ifs.

what-ifs which is red herrings.  let's take as a given that nepotism is bad.  is unfair.  is wrong. Gromnir agrees nepotism is bad. for purpose o' the post, gonna assume nobody disagrees.

so, is only 'cause o' nepotism mccain spent months flying dangerous combat missions from an undermanned carrier air group during vietnam conflict. if not for nepotism, mccain never woulda' been in life or death situations involving aa fire and soviet sams and migs. but for nepotism, mccain woulda' never been shot down and never captured and never tortured and never forced to consider whether to endure years o' extra confinement and torture or choose early release, a devil's bargain only in the offering 'cause o' nepotism. yeah, mccain really screwed the system.

as to the question o' mccain's personal heroism, the nepotism and early pilot struggles is complete irrelevant. if mccain had benefited from nepotism to get into brown or princeton, we would criticize such.  if mccain family name had landed mccain some kinda cushy job with a big paycheck in spite o' clear lack o' qualifications, we would criticize such.  if nepotism had resulted in mccain receiving multiple deferments and a trumped up medical dq for bone spurs or some such to avoid military service, then we would be criticizing. it is a wrong for mccain to have benefited from nepotism, to have received so many additional chances to get into the ****pit o' military aircraft. such is irrelevant as to the question o' his heroism in combat or as a pow. don't let 'em distract you. 

as to trump crying wolf, am thinking this is the one single aspect which reveals animal cunning on the part o' the chief executive insofar as media manipulation is concerned.  this is the razzle-dazzle we always reference. am not believing trump cares if the media and other sources do not take him serious.  instead, it better suits him to be able to complain 'bout how he ain't being taken serious.  this president has shown he doesn't understand complex issues.  the president doesn't want his base to focus on his lack o' progress on platform issues and he doesn't want his base to read 'bout the guilty pleas and convictions o' multiple trump campaign personages. he doesn't wanna have base consider overwhelming scientific condemnation o' his climate change perspective.  it doesn't benefit the president to have his base listen to even his own economic advisors extolling the virtues o' free trade. etc.

the media responds predictable every time trump says something ridiculous.  the media calls in experts to refute trump nonsense regarding google?  doesn't matter, 'cause at least then the media is no longer 24/7 beating him up 'bout mccain or tariffs or mueller.  but the media cannot resist

oh, isn't that cute/funny?  watch as the media spins and leaps and exhausts self every time trump says something ridiculous.  add insult to injury, trump is then able to claim he is the victim. tells his base to see how he is being mistreated by the media.

is mind boggling anybody is falling for this shtick, but it is working.  is indeed crying wolf, but am suspecting it is with purpose.  

HA! Good Fun!

ps per our quick search, pretty much every stoopid cat-chasing-laser video has music added.  we would never have patience to record and upload such a video, but to edit and add music to a cat video disturbs us almost as much as does trump calculated crying wolf.  who are these people?

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Fantastic piece of work by NPR: The School Shootings That Weren't

I think this piece elucidates some things that are salient to the following issues:

One, the journalistic integrity of most of our news sources. Today most are "down wind" and do not take the requisite steps to independently verify what they pick up, before the broadcast out to the public. Not even NPR all the time. A few good publications will maintain a "credit score" with readers and they'll assume the rest of their work is of the same caliber.

Two, numerical based politics. When the numbers are wrong it can be expected the nuance of one's position, if any, falls in the wrong place. With plenty of nervous activists and media giants with reaching impact, the affirming err will be all more propagated has being trust-worthy from the start.

Three, most activism surrounding guns (but applies more broadly as well) is woefully non-pragmatic. The moralization of one group against the other with "stark truths" on "stats," mostly ignores the practical details of mobilizing changes at the state level over gun-regulation. Further, tactics involving overly strong messaging aimed against the 2nd Amendment citing puzzling numbers of school shootings that most have never heard of certainly does little to persuade your state's current constituency that the current bill is the right one to do the job.

Lastly, the public sector is still atrocious at collecting and vetting analytics. It's one thing for a budding company with private risk to be ill-equipped in this measure. It's another thing for constitutionally ratified body whose risk is insured on tax threat of it's people to have most of it's proper domain obfuscated. It's as if the state itself had a food allergy, where by it busily responds on false perceptions. Those in favor of a functioning state often focus on end issues, but very little with regards to the clerical or operational structures that implement a policy to it's end.

I am loosing my faith in media, how can they describe party with social policy (in this case kids benefits) as right wing???

In case of Czech republic they would probably call Communist party as right wing because they are against immigrants as well xD

https://www.dw.com/en/women-increasingly-drawn-to-right-wing-populist-parties-study-shows/a-45284465

Edited by Chilloutman

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I am loosing my faith in media, how can they describe party with social policy (in this case kids benefits) as right wing???

In case of Czech republic they would probably call Communist party as right wing because they are against immigrants as well xD

https://www.dw.com/en/women-increasingly-drawn-to-right-wing-populist-parties-study-shows/a-45284465

Adopting a single policy that originated as a left wing idea but has long since moved to mainstream status idea doesn't invalidate the leaning of the entire platform. Not to mention one can easily right-wing benefits for having children in the same way our government is going to do: By replaying universal benefits with tax cuts that only fully affect rich families with children.

I don't know if Poland had child benefits of a sort before the new program but it's basically something that (almost) every other party in Western and Central Europe that wasn't part of the soviet bloc adopted decades ago. Such benefits are a matter of fact policy for the entire political spectrum for us, it's not much of a surprise that no one would consider it a reason to claim any party is left-wing.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I've been trying to tell Trump supporters this for years:

Trump Is a Snob Who Secretly Despises His Own Supporters

by Jonathan Chait

Deep in a Politico report about President Trump’s attempt to build support for firing Attorney General Jeff Sessions, whom Trump loathes for recusing himself from the investigation of a campaign he was part of, is a striking artifact of Trumpism. The president’s swelling complaints against Sessions include the fact that he “doesn’t have the Ivy League pedigree the president prefers” and that Trump “can’t stand his Southern accent.”

Conservatives have spent decades depicting liberals as coastal snobs. Entire campaigns were built from this theme, from Michael Dukakis’s “Harvard Yard boutique” to various Democrats failing to display the requisite enthusiasm for Nascar. Every image of Barack Obama in the right-wing media cast him gazing downward imperiously, a pose that conservatives seemed to think captured his contempt for the good people of the heartland.

Given the attention they have lavished on such picayune details as John Kerry’s failure to order cheesesteak properly, it’s not even possible to imagine what they would do with direct evidence of a president disdaining his attorney general’s University of Alabama law degree and regional accent. Imagine one of those scenes from a ’90s action movie where the bad guys are wearing night-vision goggles in the dark, and then suddenly faced with blinding light.

But as is so often the case, the accusation that was made falsely against Democrats turns out to be true of Trump. For all his vaunted populism, he is filled with contempt for average people in general and his own supporters in particular.

Trump has touted the mindless loyalty of his base, and when he marveled that he would not lose any support if he shot somebody on Fifth Avenue, he was not complimenting the discernment of his supporters. He has tried to turn that into a positive — “I love the poorly educated!” — but the association with low socioeconomic strata has grated on him. Trump is the ultimate snob. He has no sense that working-class people may have equal latent talent that they have been denied the chance to develop. He considers wealthy and successful people a genetic aristocracy, frequently attributing his own success to good genes.

Attempting to explain his penchant for appointing plutocrats to his Cabinet, Trump has said, “I love all people, rich or poor, but in those particular positions I just don’t want a poor person. Does that make sense?” It makes sense if you assume a person’s wealth perfectly reflects their innate intelligence. Trump has repeatedly boasted about his Ivy League pedigree and that of his relatives, which he believes reflects well on his own genetic stock. He has fixated on the Ivy League pedigree of his Supreme Court appointments, even rejecting the credentials of the lower Ivys as too proletarian.

Trump has built a brand on attracting working-class strivers. But the relationship he cultivates is unidirectional admiration. Trump gives his supporters a lifestyle they can enjoy vicariously. He views them as suckers. The Trump University scam was premised directly on exploiting the misplaced trust of his fan base. The internal guidance for salespeople trying to drain the savings accounts of their targets explained, “Don’t ask people what they think about something you’ve said. Instead, always ask them how they feel about it. People buy emotionally and justify it logically.”

The declassé image of his fan base has rubbed off on Trump, to his evident frustration. He regularly proclaims that his supporters are the true elite, but his unconvincing attempts to make the case usually devolve into boasts that Trump himself is the elite. Here is a typical passage, from a rally in West Virginia:

We’re the smart ones, remember. I say it all the time. You hear the elite. They’re not elite, we’re elite. You’re smarter than they are, you have more money than they do, you have better jobs than they do, you’re the elite. So let them have the word elite. You’re the super elite. That’s what it is. I always hate — I always hate when they say, well the elite decided not to go to something I’m doing, right, the elite. I said, “Well, I have a lot more money than they do. I have a much better education than they have. I’m smarter than they are. I have many much more beautiful homes than they do. I have a better apartment at the top of Fifth Avenue.” Why the hell are they the elite? Tell me.

Obviously, the most elemental feature of populist politics is to associate one’s opponents with “elite.” But Trump is unable to maintain the pose because he cannot stand the stink of the people upon him.
Edited by Agiel
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Adopting a single policy that originated as a left wing idea but has long since moved to mainstream status idea doesn't invalidate the leaning of the entire platform. Not to mention one can easily right-wing benefits for having children in the same way our government is going to do: By replaying universal benefits with tax cuts that only fully affect rich families with children.

I don't know if Poland had child benefits of a sort before the new program but it's basically something that (almost) every other party in Western and Central Europe that wasn't part of the soviet bloc adopted decades ago. Such benefits are a matter of fact policy for the entire political spectrum for us, it's not much of a surprise that no one would consider it a reason to claim any party is left-wing.

Lol trust me, east Europe have more social state than most western countries, free schools, state health care, unemployment benefits, pensions, we got it all. But of course its left policy on political spectrum, thats so mind blowing that someone thinks it right wing. BTW left wing policies are populistic, who would not want free stuff? Not that i complain I am supporter of some of them myself

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

august 31 release

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WnYi3T78Ag

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/active-measures-review-donald-trump-vladimir-putin-1202915093/

is not our cup o' tea as it looks a bit more sensationalist than we prefer, but could be fun.

HA! Good Fun!

ps

https://www.c-span.org/video/?450726-1/vice-president-biden-friends-eulogize-senator-john-mccain

particular noteworthy:

larry fitzgerald starts at approx. 54:00

joe bidden follows at 1:01:30

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Lol trust me, east Europe have more social state than most western countries, free schools, state health care, unemployment benefits, pensions, we got it all. But of course its left policy on political spectrum, thats so mind blowing that someone thinks it right wing. BTW left wing policies are populistic, who would not want free stuff? Not that i complain I am supporter of some of them myself

That's not really what I was going at. Yes, state funded child support isn't a right wing policy - how could it be. But it also don't move a party - especially in Germany these days - todwards the left enough for them to stop being right wing. It's too little a factor due to its widespread acceptance. It's also dishonest*, but that's populists for you, regardless of where they sit on the spectrum.

*Sometimes it is even borderline schizophrenic, the Freedom Party in Austra for instance is the self-styled social homeland party and openly demanded higher minimum wages and support for the working poor, while at the same time having their economic programm developed by the Hayek Institute. Now that they are in power they have done absolutely zilch for the working class or the poor. *shrug*

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

am fully supporting the boycott.  am gonna encourage all our democrat acquaintances to join the boycott.  if enough silly Californian democrats would boycott in-n-out, we might be able to get a double-double, fries and a coke w/o needing endure the dozen-car-deep drive thru gridlock which is a near constant at any area in-n-out location.   in fact, we would consider starting a rumor 'bout lynsi snyder bathing in the blood of kittens and puppies if we thought doing so would discourage a few people from visiting in-n-out.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

Whataburger is better anyways.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I give props to the Democrats for the sheer shamelessness of complaining about donations to the opposition, when they're pumping millions into affecting voting on other (Red) States.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

That's not really what I was going at. Yes, state funded child support isn't a right wing policy - how could it be. But it also don't move a party - especially in Germany these days - todwards the left enough for them to stop being right wing. It's too little a factor due to its widespread acceptance. It's also dishonest*, but that's populists for you, regardless of where they sit on the spectrum.

*Sometimes it is even borderline schizophrenic, the Freedom Party in Austra for instance is the self-styled social homeland party and openly demanded higher minimum wages and support for the working poor, while at the same time having their economic programm developed by the Hayek Institute. Now that they are in power they have done absolutely zilch for the working class or the poor. *shrug*

what is your point? right wing are only those left wing parties you don't like? :)

Whataburger is better anyways.

such is demonstrable false, but even if it were true, whataburger can't even manage to be more popular than in-n-out in texas. 

https://www.delish.com/food-news/news/a56214/in-n-out-whataburger-texas/

however, we will conceded in-n-out minimalist menu will disappoint a few folks. for instance, am always ordering our in-n-out burgers "mustard grilled" although you will not see such an option on the menu.  furthermore, in-n-out fries should never be ordered simple as an order of fries.  lackluster.  at the very least, one should always demand fries be "crispy." 

http://hackthemenu.com/in-n-out/secret-menu/

according to the link, "well done" is the option for receiving crispy fries, but am pretty sure we actual saw "crispy" as a button on the order register.

regardless, am all in favor o' your efforts to be depolarizing in-n-out.  am not a frequent fast food patron, but in-n-out is a notable exception and am always annoyed by the need to spend excessive time in drive-thru or waiting at counter to order at in-n-out.  so if texans and silly cali democrats wanna opt-out o' in-n-out fandom, am applauding the efforts.  

to stay more close to thread topic

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/white-house-ethics-lawyer-leaving/ar-BBMFtBW?ocid=spartanntp

HA! Good Fun!

Eh? They're a business and have a right to support whoever they want.

Be careful. Your Democrat friends will hate you forever if they hear you say that,  :lol:

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

You're all wrong. The best hamburger in the US is a toss up. The Black Angus two pound steak burger at Burger Republic in Nashville. The Counter Burger at a joint called The Counter in Naples Florida. Or the original Juicy Lucy at Matt's Bar in Minneapolis. 

My money on on the last one! It's the only thing worth going to Minneapolis for.

As for In and Out, if they ever come east of the Mississippi I'll be sure to visit often just to piss stupid people off. I got tired of Chick Fil A for much the same reason!  :lol:

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell