Political Thread XX

Amentep

You're all wrong. The best hamburger in the US is a toss up. The Black Angus two pound steak burger at Burger Republic in Nashville. The Counter Burger at a joint called The Counter in Naples Florida. Or the original Juicy Lucy at Matt's Bar in Minneapolis. 

My money on on the last one! It's the only thing worth going to Minneapolis for.

As for In and Out, if they ever come east of the Mississippi I'll be sure to visit often just to piss stupid people off. I got tired of Chick Fil A for much the same reason!  :lol:

is limits for in-n-out which current make east coast unlikely for a long time.  the brand insists on daily fresh meat and produce deliveries which requires a substantial distribution hub.  colorado will finally get in-n-out in a couple years, but only after the +20 acre distribution center is built, a center which is anticipated to support 'bout four dozen in-n-out restaurants.  shady is gonna wake up one day and sudden there will be literal dozens o' in-n-outs in the state while months before there were none.  takes some serious long-term planning.

our personal current burger joint o' choice is: 

http://www.nerdytruck.com/

https://www.facebook.com/culinerdycruzer/videos/d41d8cd9/1591331627568841/

sacramento-culinerdycruzer1.jpg?w=460&h=

is all 'bout the ambiance, but am also liking the "Dammit Jim!" burger... am always liking the bleu cheese.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

One thing Dempublicans and Repocrats have in common is they get really angry when someone outside their clique gets in the dance. And really, really angry when that outsider starts polling well: https://ballot-access.org/2018/08/29/new-mexico-secretary-of-state-puts-straight-ticket-device-back-on-ballot/

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Is that like having the option to do Republican or Democrat only ballots? I've always used the Independent voting ballot here in California (because I like having the options, though I lean Dem), so, I'm not completely sure what 'straight ticket device' means here.

I get what straight ticket voting is, but the only definition I seem to have come across (neither Google or Wikipedia weren't of much help in defining 'straight ticket device') seems to be either using images to indicate parties or as shown in a California statute thing from 1912 https://books.google.com/books?id=ucVGAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA245&lpg=PA245&dq=%22straight+ticket+device%22&source=bl&ots=dlOoefgmJX&sig=AZLG7cLyEPqlVVeOtNK3fd4H9y4&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjv75D375fdAhXAGzQIHZUfDpE4ChDoATACegQICBAB#v=onepage&q=%22straight%20ticket%20device%22&f=false , something about voting machines.

Also, California isn't listed as one of those that repealed it in the last 50 years or as still having one, and I can't find when California repealed it (after 1912 maybe?). Which contributes to my confusion.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

what is your point? right wing are only those left wing parties you don't like? :)

Might have something to do with this:

Horseshoe theory

Bernie plan to take back the money from corporations

Interesting idea. That's something I might back Bernie, because this is ridiculous situation. Of course I would get rid of the social programs all together.

So would Bernie, I hear that he needs a new car.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

So is Mexico paying for the wall or nah?

Many many expert people say that they're looking into it, and it's close, so close.

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 3

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

So is Mexico paying for the wall or nah?

New Mexico is.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Got a crack out of this:

DlO1_UcXoAAxrbc.jpg

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Hey the dead vote here in the US. Why shouldn't they tweet as well.

Also, I didn't know Jesus was in Dallas.

:lol:

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

So far Gary Johnson has received two endorsements from elected Senators over their own party's candidate. Plus it looks like Bill Weld is running for LP nomination for President in 2020. A lot, no.. ALL the big L types are grinding their teeth over that but the truth is the 2020 candidate cannot win but Bill Weld is high enough profile and is smart and articulate enough he could do the cause a lot of good. He has my vote if he does. I think it was clear between him & Johnson in 2016 which one had the most gravitas.

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/gary-johnson-libertarian-senate-campaign-worth-watching/

https://www.demingheadlight.com/story/news/2018/08/31/libertarian-candidate-gary-johnson-says-hes-not-wallflower-race-u-s-senate/1148016002/

Thomas Sowell

You know, just out of curiosity, is Gary Johnson to the left (towards centrist) or right of Rand Paul (the only Libertarian in the Senate, though he wears the Republican jersey) on the Libertarian spectrum?

Seems like he has some views that are more moderate than Rand Paul with others roughly aligning with Rand Paul.

edit: I suppose it's not actually a clear cut 'left or right of Rand Paul' given that Rand Paul is a reference point and that things are complex....

Edited by smjjames

It depends on what issue I guess. Rand Paul is not his father. He is a bit more R than L. Of course it's hard to even tell whose right or left of who these days. What do the political parties even stand for any more? They are so hell bent on being on the opposite side of each other on everything it's hard to even say what the principles of each even are. They both behave exactly the same as the other when in power and exactly the same as the other when out of power.

Thomas Sowell

Why he si lying? Even the 'left' pointed out that certain comments were clearly attacks on Trump. just because they didn't flatly say 'Trump is garbage' doesn't mean anything.

Then again, I bet he is one fot hsoe who thought Trump posting 'MAGA' was a direct response to Ms.mcCain stating 'Amerika was always great'. LMAO

At least own that stuff.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Why he si lying? Even the 'left' pointed out that certain comments were clearly attacks on Trump. just because they didn't flatly say 'Trump is garbage' doesn't mean anything.

Then again, I bet he is one fot hsoe who thought Trump posting 'MAGA' was a direct response to Ms.mcCain stating 'Amerika was always great'. LMAO

At least own that stuff.

Well that is sort of his point, it's presenting a generic outfit and someone claims its made to fit (I always wanted to use that from Dune :p)

Nobody puts their name in giant gold letters on tall buildings without having a pretty hefty dose of narcissism.

You would actually be surprised how rich people have their culture which endears and supports this type of behavior. It is not only expect but required that you show off your wealth if you expect to do business. I guess they want to see opulence because it reassures them that the enterprise will be profitable.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Trump is mostly a branding anyways, without his branding he wouldn't secure the loans for his real-empire. His brand brings in enough profit which pays interest on the loans, then when he needs to he can declare bankruptcy and start over. The bank basically just reclaims it's assets and re-purposes the real estate without his branding once things go sour. So he really is just a branding front for the banks' real estate ventures.

DmQqHFwWsAAaThb.jpg

Once again, the thing my mind comes back to whenever there's a Trump rally:

https://streamable.com/czf9b

• Like 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling