KindCollusion

How bad was that ending? (Spoiler alert)

11 hours ago, Lithaleon said:

Now, this being said, I have a bone to pick with the game. This game at it's core has been about Fantasy, Adventure,  Power, and Choices. The first and second game (for the most part) do a very good job of giving scratching all 4 of those itches. In the second game, you become THE HERALD OF BERATH (now that's a title right?). The scene on the docks where you can show the harbor master "what you are" is a scene that I will never forget. Now, tell me why, in a game that does such a good job with power scaling, and making you feel like you're the next best thing to a god, makes your power utterly insignificant in the end. You're the Watcher, with the Gods at your back, and you can't stop Eothas.

While i have a problem with the ending, it is more with „How” then with „what”.

No, Pillars has never been about fantasy, adventure, power and choices. The genre it comes from was about that, but PoEs have been subverting those expectations. 

While you do have a certain freedom your character has never been able to influence events of cosmic scale - you might have stopped Thanos, learn the truth about the nature of Gods, but there is nothing you can do about it. You can interact with kith, and you do act as a link between kith and gods, but you are never a Gods equal. Gods after all, be it good or bad, helpful or parasites are beings well beyond your understanding or power. 

yes, you are Herald of Berath, but that makes you a puppet. It limits your ability to make choice, not enhance it. While you might hold some level of influence over other kith, it is only because Berath allows you, or forces you to do it. You might have felt powerful if you willingly used Beraths power to scare those soldiers at the harbour. And you would feel powerless if you tried not to do it. It was Berath’s action made through you, whenever you will it, or not. 

Unfortunately for them, Gods ability to directly attack Eothas are limited, and what might scare random soldiers won’t make an impression on a massive statue of ADR inhabited by a god. And even the most mythic creatures you get to slay in the game, are merely mortal creatures or aspects of a god. Keep in mind what took to kill Eothas when he used a mortal body. Think of what would be required to destroy him in Deadfire. If volcano eruption and tsunami wasn’t enough... what can YOU do?

If you were able to challenge and defeat Eothas that would be very unlike PoE. However, the way it is handled is not ideal. Players to have certain expectations, and game doesn’t put a twist on them - just under-delivers on an expected finale. Meeting with Eothas would make for a nice epilogue, but not the climax of the game. 

h1dczBG.jpg

But they already established that you can't beat Eothas in the opening cut scene. Dude just walks by you and you nearly die. Sure, writers could've done some deus ex mechina to 'make you as powerful as a god', but that seems counter intuitive to what we already know about the gods and excludes the Watcher from being a possible protagonist in the next installment. Otherwise, the only way around this is to have a completely different primary conflict.

I never even considered Eothas a 'bad guy'. It was more an event happening.

Actually, just typing that I was going to compare him to Sin in FFX. But you can and must defeat Sin for good. So it's not a good example... Maybe if we had an airship in Deadfire.

nowt

In case others haven't mentioned it, patch 5.0 adds dialogue (including an ongoing narrative with Woedica that unfolds alongside the main questline) which, among other things, explains what life was like before the wheel. 

Might be worth a second playthrough now that PoE2 is content complete :)

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Purudaya said:

Might be worth a second playthrough now that PoE2 is content complete :)

For me the biggest addition is giving reason to care for factions politics for characters without roleplaying political affiliations, and some additional insight into Gods' actions. 

h1dczBG.jpg