The Weird, Random or Interesting Things That Fit Nowhere Else Thread

Blarghagh

What...

Certainly has become more widespread than when I first heard of this 4 years or so ago.  Definitely not the weirdest thing you'll find attached to it :lol:

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Certainly has become more widespread than when I first heard of this 4 years or so ago. Definitely not the weirdest thing you'll find attached to it :lol:

To be honest, I subscribed to her channel. Not because she's very attractive (which I believe she is) but because I dind her to be very interesting. With most stuff that she thinks up, something almost always goes wrong yet her followers increase. She seems to be an accidental genius, she asks subscribers for $5,000 pledges on her Patreon and they give her the money. It's crazy lol

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

People are strange, nothing new.  But no harm in how they want to burn their money.  As I always say, some people expend their energies in odd ways,  some obsess over watching sweaty men chase a ball around a field, for example :p

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

If I could a give a high school student close to graduation on nugget of advice it would be this: Don't go to college! :lol:

Amen. The greatest trick educators in this country have pulled off is brainwashing the general populace into believing that you have to go to college to succeed.

Don't get me wrong, college is the right move for some people, but not everybody, or even the majority of people. There are plenty of good jobs out there that don't require a college degree that your average student counselor likely won't tell you about and a whole lot of college graduates out there working blue collar jobs to pay off crippling student loans.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I imagine it's probably the companies giving out student loans that are chiefly responsible for perpetuating the myth that everyone must go to college, since they stand to make the most out of putting people into a world of debt.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I imagine it's probably the companies giving out student loans that are chiefly responsible for perpetuating the myth that everyone must go to college, since they stand to make the most out of putting people into a world of debt.

There is a lot more to it than that. I'll have to see if I can find my handy video on how the High School graduation path has changed over the last century. 

• Like 1

I can't really say it for most but in my high school they really pushed the college is the end all be all. They cut certain class schedules just so we can go on computers and look at prospective colleges. Most students around me went with it and whenever the question of not attending college was mentioned, it was with a "yeah, well, that's your choice".

The student debt situation is a unique US experience, AFAIK collage diplomas a very much a must for decent employment in most of Europe.

Without it you are not regarded middle-class and making a decent living becomes much harder.

And almost nobody pays attention to the field of study anyway.

Like hereditary back in the day, diploma is supposed to demonstrate you are of the right sort rather than indicate any skills or knowledge.

I can't really say it for most but in my high school they really pushed the college is the end all be all. They cut certain class schedules just so we can go on computers and look at prospective colleges. Most students around me went with it and whenever the question of not attending college was mentioned, it was with a "yeah, well, that's your choice".
This was the case for me too when I went through high school over 20 years ago.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

The push for education started in the US post-WWII. With GI's returning and women not leaving the workforce because they'd shown they could succeed in the job market of the time, companies and government worked to forestall a huge unemployment number for the GIs by encouraging high school students to complete their high school diploma rather than drop out of school at 16 and join the job market.

The problem is, once you establish education as an arbitrary gate-keeper to employment, its relatively easy to lower the candidate pools by increasing the educational criteria needed to hold the job. And while some jobs really can use the extra education because of their highly specific nature, that doesn't follow for all the jobs that hold a higher education requirement. Further the push for students in higher education has been to the detriment of the trade schools, which really are a viable alternative (and the skilled trades have a deficit of people going into them).

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Further the push for students in higher education has been to the detriment of the trade schools, which really are a viable alternative (and the skilled trades have a deficit of people going into them).

You hit the nail on the head here. There is a serious deficit of skilled labor around where I live. HVAC mechanics make better money that I do. There is a serious demand for them because let's face it, Memphis in August with no AC? You'll be trying your own noose with a smile on your face thinking "At least hell will be cooler"!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Further the push for students in higher education has been to the detriment of the trade schools, which really are a viable alternative (and the skilled trades have a deficit of people going into them).

You hit the nail on the head here. There is a serious deficit of skilled labor around where I live. HVAC mechanics make better money that I do. There is a serious demand for them because let's face it, Memphis in August with no AC? You'll be trying your own noose with a smile on your face thinking "At least hell will be cooler"!
Yeah, same in my field. There is a massive trucker shortage despite truckers making well above the national median. I doubt that any student counselor ever in history has suggested to a student that they should consider becoming a trucker. Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Truckers are paid by the mile?

I am. Most over the road truckers are paid by the mile. Some local drivers get paid by the hour.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

One of our van drivers is paid by weight and for every stop on his tour. Don't ask me why, everyone else has a different contract.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

That was obvious when none of the locations changed their signs. They still caught hell for it though.

Or did they? They got a lot of attention. Curious to see if it helped their bottom line

Saw an article on Cracked (it was talking about manufacturing controversy) that claimed IHOP did really well despite 'backlash' and specifically their burger sales skyrocketed. Didn't have a source though.

• Like 1

I am. Most over the road truckers are paid by the mile. Some local drivers get paid by the hour.

Ive heard that there are certain conditions that will raise the per mile earning, such as hazmat or car carriers. Is that true?
Correct. Flatbed also tends to pay a little extra because of the extra physical labor involved (those tarps are quite heavy). I run dry van because I'm lazy. :p

I do have hazmat and tanker endorsements. I may get doubles/triples in the future.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸