Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Armor penetration is a pain in the ass. Stacking armor is OP.

Armor Armor penetration

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

KentDA

KentDA

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 62 posts

Boeroer, ironically your idea about armor should have an negative impact on Stride and Deflection is almost like what DnD does.

Heavier armors reduce your movement speed and also caps how much Dexterity can improve your Armor Class.

So its not like the idea is a foreign one, if the grand daddy of RPGs does it ....

Of course I'd like it if we could actually SEE what our Stride was to begin with.

Edited by KentDA, 16 June 2018 - 02:08 PM.

• dukeisaac likes this

mrscojangles

mrscojangles

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 70 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Also i still think wizards are the worst class is in the game. With very little going for them (mauras writhing tentacles being one of these things). 

I don't know how you think wizards have nothing going for them. Just to name a few: chill fog (crazy strong for a level 1 spell), combusting wounds, expose vulnerabilities, arcane dampener, ryngrim's enervating terror (easily one of the best CC spells in the game, along with charm/dominated stuff), wilting wind, missile salvo, etc. And plenty of other good stuff, especially in terms of aoe damage.

Edited by mrscojangles, 16 June 2018 - 04:12 PM.

dunehunter

dunehunter

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2520 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer
With 20+ alchemy your potion of spirit shield gives +9 armor for 200 sec!!!
  • Zelse likes this

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 14862 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Boeroer, ironically your idea about armor should have an negative impact on Stride and Deflection is almost like what DnD does.

Heavier armors reduce your movement speed and also caps how much Dexterity can improve your Armor Class.

So its not like the idea is a foreign one, if the grand daddy of RPGs does it ....

Of course I'd like it if we could actually SEE what our Stride was to begin with.

Actually AC in D&D increases the equivalent of deflection, it doesn't reduce it per se. There is no DR from (normal) armor. This I find a bit meh because it's obviously easier to hit somebody who's wearing armor. It's just not so easy to hurt them. ;)

But a crit-to-hit conversion or a hit-to-graze conversion is ok. Your ability to connect with the enemy will not suffer (actually it will be even easier if deflection gets reduced) - but the quality of your hits will suffer if you glance off of armor.
  • Haplok likes this

dunehunter

dunehunter

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2520 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer

Actually AC in D&D increases the equivalent of deflection, it doesn't reduce it per se. There is no DR from (normal) armor. This I find a bit meh because it's obviously easier to hit somebody who's wearing armor. It's just not so easy to hurt them. ;)

But a crit-to-hit conversion or a hit-to-graze conversion is ok. Your ability to connect with the enemy will not suffer (actually it will be even easier if deflection gets reduced) - but the quality of your hits will suffer if you glance off of armor.

That's partially true, if you are very good at builds in D&D 3.5, you will know the best AC builds are without armors, because armors has limitation on how much DEX bonus you can get, the heavier the armor is, the less DEX AC bonus you get. So a Monk/Wizard can get much higher AC with spells and WIS ac bonus than heavy armor fighters.

My understanding to D&D AC system is armor will cover the softest and weakest spot on your body, thus someone with plate armor is hard to hit because hits are deflected if they graze on the armor. I know this explanation is flawed because it cannot explain why the hell light armor like leather armor has AC bonus, but you get what I mean :):)

Edited by dunehunter, 17 June 2018 - 08:12 AM.

Lampros

Lampros

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1245 posts

There's a food that gives u more weapon pen. There's a potion that gives u nutty amounts of pen with high Alch skill.

There are also grenades that reduce enemy armour.

There's food that gives more Penetration?!!!

Verde

Verde

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1574 posts
  • Steam:DragonSoundxSG
I hate blanket buffs which is why I don't play on PotD. I'm glad Pillars considers the power gamer, but PotD feels so wrong when your entire party is focused on taking down one boar. It's about feel for me - if it feels off it breaks my immersion completely.

Edited by Verde, 27 September 2018 - 04:50 AM.

• Khamok and Ophiuchus like this

Yosharian

Yosharian

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1181 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer

With 20+ alchemy your potion of spirit shield gives +9 armor for 200 sec!!!

...are you joking or is this actually how it works?

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5384 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
It’s how it used to work but Alchemy scaling was nerfed in one of the earlier patches, AFAIK.

Jaget80

Jaget80

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Yes, the penetration system is not good.

It's too simplistic IMO.

The problems you bring up could easily be counter by giving the penetration a scaling. 

One penetration point above armor rating could give 4% more damage just to put a number.

Recerse would also be true.

• GuyNice and Ophiuchus like this

Ophiuchus

Ophiuchus

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 378 posts
  • Deadfire Backer

It's too simplistic IMO.

The problems you bring up could easily be counter by giving the penetration a scaling. 

One penetration point above armor rating could give 4% more damage just to put a number.

Nice idea. It would gel with the game's attribute system, which was designed to avoid break points.

-dib-

-dib-

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 85 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Yeah, penetration can be such a pain in the ass sometimes... Especially if they go in dry.

Ancelor

Ancelor

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 118 posts

It's too simplistic IMO.

Great idea... not too late to be implemented in a patc

Yosharian

Yosharian

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1181 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer

It’s how it used to work but Alchemy scaling was nerfed in one of the earlier patches, AFAIK.

Ugh I just realised this is a ****ing discussion from JUNE.

Stupid thread necromancers.  Thanks for responding, anyway.

• peko likes this

Ophiuchus

Ophiuchus

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 378 posts
  • Deadfire Backer

I hate blanket buffs which is why I don't play on PotD. I'm glad Pillars considers the power gamer, but PotD feels so wrong when your entire party is focused on taking down one boar. It's about feel for me - if it feels off it breaks my immersion completely.

Deadfire Tweaks mod includes an option to tone down some of PoTD's defenses while retaining enemy composition.

https://www.nexusmod...tab=description

dunehunter

dunehunter

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2520 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer

I think if the enemies in DF can talk, they will say the same thing: 'Wow that f**cking paladin has so much AR I can do nothing to him'. Imo this is more an issue to enemies than to players, as players have different way to bypass high AR, but enemies are AI who is dumb enough to not be able to handle high AR players.

• bringingyouthefuture likes this

GuyNice

GuyNice

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 189 posts
  • Deadfire Backer

It's too simplistic IMO.

Someone should mod this in. Sounds like a much better system to me. Make it a multiplicative buff/debuff and it's pretty much gold. Then you could also allow more stacking of abilities. Just set a hard cap to avoid total abuse.

• bringingyouthefuture likes this

Erik Dirk

Erik Dirk

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 95 posts
I'm surprised the system made it through beta, pretty sure it didn't get a single positive player review.
The fact that a brigidine could provide zero protection is unrealistic and an irritating game mechanic.

Haplok

Haplok

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 760 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'm surprised the system made it through beta, pretty sure it didn't get a single positive player review.
The fact that a brigidine could provide zero protection is unrealistic and an irritating game mechanic.

So kind of like in DnD, where armor only helps with hit avoidance, but doesn't actually reduce incoming damage?

• Daled likes this

hilfazer

hilfazer

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 683 posts

It's too simplistic IMO.

Sounds like turning penetration into damage. Game already has damage.

• powerofvoid likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Armor, Armor penetration

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users