Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Obsidian Forum Community

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Wormerine

Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Wormerine

  1. Ok! So it is a thing. I remembered Josh saying that concentration needs to be taken down before an interrupt will work, but I couldn’t remember if it is in current beta of of it was the concentration tied to resolve system he was thinking about adding. So yeah, seems like you can prepare to prevent for a potential interrupt. I will keep an eye for those during my next beta playthrough.
  2. Hellblade? Bastion is probably in my top 10 games of all time so further recommendation from me.
  3. What? Where did that came from? Might is coming back (all damage and healing) and resolve is getting buffed to make up for the loss of concertration. Possible buff to resolve revealed here: https://jesawyer.tumblr.com/post/171289309831/various-deadfire-changes Resolve is being revertd to its POE1 state and, additionally, is receiving a buff because it was meh. If you are talking about empower/depower from Resolve than it's not a possible buff because And revert they did.I am pretty sure he means moving magic damage&healing back to might, and leaving resolve with deflection and will bonus. Old resolve would mean implimenting interupt and concentration back, which would mean a core redesign of entire Deadfire system. It was entirely different system back in PoE1. Resolve is getting a buff, because without concentration it doesn't provide much value. EDIT. Right? Having two interrupt systems in play would be really odd.
  4. I just jumped back into beta and made my team smack each other in the face to figure that out. Unless there is more to it that meets the eye the system seems fairly simple. Basic attack don't interrupt. Various abilities, however, do interupt when certain conditions are met. For example: Strike the Bell works on a hit: Knock Down will interupt even on a graze: While a fireball needs to crit to interupt: It seems that if an attack meets those conditions an action will be interupted.
  5. What? Where did that came from? Might is coming back (all damage and healing) and resolve is getting buffed to make up for the loss of concertration. Possible buff to resolve revealed here: https://jesawyer.tumblr.com/post/171289309831/various-deadfire-changes
  6. Rocks fall, everybody dies. That's not anti-climactic ever! It's just the ending of NWN2!
  7. It certainly happened to me before, but with the buffed up Lagufaeth. Once I avoided him the encounter disappeared. I assumed it's intentional, but now when you mention it I am not so sure. As they are hand placed events and don't pop up randomly (at least in the beta) It seems weird for them to just disappear from the face of the earth forever. Really inconsistant with how the rest of the game works.
  8. That's all true and part of the design. If you didn't play Pillars of Eternity1 here is a summary: you gain experience by exploration (discovering new areas), completing quests and completing journal entries - those aren't in the beta yet, but essencially you have a journal with bestiary, which lists every monster encountered. Info about each monsted gets filled in with every enemy of that type defeated. Once you fill the entry you don't gain extra experience from killing this type of creature. Gained experience is spread across all teammates. It might seems like an odd way of doing things, especially compared to jRPGs but that's because Deadfire doesn't encourage combat. It is certanly part of the game but if you want to avoid bloodshed through diplomacy or stealth you won't loose anything. That way game avoids rewarding various roleplaying choices more than others. Combat is there to be hard if that's what you like. If you feel that a tough fight isn't worth the effort without a better loot or experience boost than the difficulty is there to accommodate you.
  9. I can't do anything here unfortunately. It's an injustice that who discover only now the game can't have the cool items of the Fig campaign. Do you think can be a possibility to contact the support? Thanks! Hardly an injustice as those items are there to encourage funding the game. They loose a bit of an appeal if they are sold after the game have been funded, no? Though I do feel your pain. If you talk about exclusive items ingame, yeah, I never like when backers get "extra" items in a singleplayer game. Those items aren't a big deal, but still. Whenever I back the game or buy it after launch I like to have the "complete" edition. Splitting game into various exclusive version drives me nuts.
  10. Is Thursday the usual day or Tuesday? It would be nice to get some official ballpark? I know how people go monkeycrap out of entitlement about not meeting the internal deadline.. but at least naming the week would be nice Beta updates traditionally come online on Thursdays. I doubt Obsidian will say anything specific until actual beta update release. They don't want to not release update after announcing it. Josh has been teasing this one for a while so it's probably coming soonTM but whenever its this week or next week or week after that? Who knows. I do hope it's this Thursday. It has been a while.
  11. Looking forward to finally seeing good Overwatch cinematics:-). They haven't been quite what they used to be. Good for her. Maybe she could sparkle some cooperation? Starcraft Obsidian RPG?
  12. I don't have access to the beta, but from what I've seen on YouTube and posts like yours, it seems it would be really difficult to maintain a high performance on a low-end rig. Suffice to say, I don't believe these promises also. Deadfire has full capacity to run well - its very uneven right now. Sometimes I get smooth framerate, sometime it gets really bad. I have seen other games drastically improve performance within one patch, so its not impossible, but its probably my biggest fear right now. All excited I will launch the game soon after release and it will run like crap.
  13. As “strength” checks have been mostly moved to skills (in this case athletics or intimidation) it shouldn’t be an issue anymore anyway.
  14. Darn, and last week was the first when I gave up on receiving new beta. I suppose it’s time to get excited over nothing again this coming Thursday. ;-)
  15. Excellent question. I don't know if this can be answered here, maybe with spoiler tags, but is there a bigger battle in the beta? How interesting will mages be in this case?Nothing of the sort. Beta includes sidecontent and gameplay wise focuses on fairly low level basic stuff. While there are some tougher names enemies there, there is nothing too epic there. It’s not that I want to hear the answer - I prefer to discover on my own. I am just curious/worried how they will approach it as those fights are usually ones where full “rest” of abilities was coming to play.
  16. Optimism is a path to constant disappointment. To minimise unavoidable letdown once the 8th of May is upon us, let us lower our expectations ahead of time by discussing all the possible ways in which Deadfire shall fail. PERFORMANCE! You would think that a game with a 2d background and an isometric view would run on a potato. No, Sir! While the basic graphical nature of the game comes with a limited option screen, it doesn’t mean that it won’t require an expensive machine to run. Beta suffers from some serious performance issues. New weather effects seriously tank the frame rate and, strangely enough, so do menues. Inventory screen seems to be the new Crysis. Sure, they say that will be fixed. They say that the optimisation is the last thing to do. But I know better. I have heard all of that before. <But seriously, why is inventory screen so bloody taxing. It makes managing equipment a real pain.>
  17. Ability to back the game was closed before the announcement of release date and preorders.
  18. "Muscle Wizards" is an invention, by people who couldn't read a Text-Based Description. This one? Nah, we all read it. Just today my high might mage had an option to lift a guy with his bare hands threatening to crush his skull. That said, it’s probably for the best. While I prefer strenght/resolve conceptually, classes weren’t designed for that system from ground up.
  19. BG2 was ported for tablets. Deadfire is ported to consoles. The situation is the same. Devs make the game for PC, other studio makes a port.
  20. I love how as soon as you announce "there will be a consol port in the future done by a different company" people immediately claim the game has been somehow compromised. [sarcasm] I know, the same happened to BG! After excellent first game they dumbed it down for the sequel! Arabian setting just screams casual. They even added romances to attract female audience. Dont get me started on those "highlight interactive object" scrubs and removing weapon degradation.. It all would be good if the game wasn't designed to appeal to tablet casuals. [/sarcasm]
  21. Unexpected. Any specific reason? I find UI easy, so its not like in the first game where buffing with food was a pain in the butt. Did you dislike survival bonuses from PoE1 as well, or is it something else?
  22. 99% of the Players probably didn't play on Story Mode // Relaxed, where you could have x99 Camping Supplies. Others had to manage their ressources with Two Camping Supplies only on PoTD. Rest-Spamming... lol Oh Yeah ! Now it's Deadfire that has indeed bacome a Rest Spamming Festival. Since there are no Ressources to manage anymore, & all of that, regarding the Difficulty on top of that. Great Improvement ! [Get yourself two stacks of x99 Hardtacks & you're good for an entire Playthrough, on any difficulty ! xD] My dear Dex, you don't even make much sense. What exactly is the benefit of sleeping in Deadifre and feeding your party with Hardtacks (except loosing resoures on your team and time, which in Deadfire is money, as while you party after every combat stuffing your face with hardtacks your crew eats as well... preferably not hardtacks). Considering Obs changes in WM1&2 and Deadfire my guess would be that the issue PoE had was people not using spells enough. Frankly, PoE1 gives resting supplies like candybars. I fail to see what great depth PoE1 has what Deadfire doesn't offer right now, except spells being an "I win" button with marity of the game being balanced around not using them.
  23. Its different. You use food to feed both crew and your teammates. Moral is a mechanics tied to crew. Feed them with hardtacks for too long and they be unhappy, gaining xp slower, possibly rebelling etc. Feeding your teammates with hardtacks won't lower moral but it also won't provide bonuses. To encourage people to not rest too often a high quality food gives your team bonuses (similar to those gained from resting in high quality rooms in PoE1). You rest again, you loose this bonus. So yes, you could rest after every fight if you stock up on hardtracks. However, unlike in previous iterations you gain very little by it. The only per-rest resources are willpoints and potential special abilities from items. In previous games resting spam was breaking a game and needed to be discouraged because using your abilities made game trivial. In Deadfire by resting you are not really making things easier, unless you really want those willpoints. Resting is result of player's failures (falling in battle, running into traps) rather than a punishment for using resources at their disposal.
  24. It’s frustrating. All the changes listed here have been known from the very start of the fig campaign, over a year ago. Reason for and against them have been made over and over again. Devs made it clear why they make them. And yet a bit over a month before release, a poster comes with a very aggressive attitude flipping out as if it is new info, as if we were cheated, while claiming some kind of intellectual superiority over everyone else without even stating tangible reasons for disliking said changes. But as news has been slow, and nothing of value has appeared in forums for quite a while, let’s go back and talk about the same topics for the 4th of the 5th time. 1) Huh? If anything, splitting might into two stats makes it more difficult to not sacrifice something. Keep in mind resolve governs all abilities that are not tied to physical attack, meaning not just spells. The change was made precisely to make all attributes valuable to everyone – due to changes made to armor and penetration resolve lost its usefulness. However, there is little reason to argue for that. That was an experiment (keep in mind this is beta, this is not finished game and balance, mechanics and features are a subject to change) and one that wasn’t well received by many. From what we know might will return and there are some further attempts to make resolve more appealing. I don’t have high hopes, but we will see what they will come up with. 2) Pfff, again with offensive “dumbing down” standing for “I don’t like it”. This time I am not a fan of the change to injury, though with current playthrough of PoE1 I am less disappointed. For the most part the new injury system fulfills the same role as the old health/endurance system – it forces players to rest every once in a while. However, as the old system forced players to rest not matter how well they played the new system is a result of failure on players part – you let your companion get knocked out, you stepped into a trap. This is actually a part of the system I really like. Considering you would want to keep bonuses from good food for as long as possible, keeping rested tied to your failures seem like the better way of doing it. What the old system had, which the new doesn’t is “in combat” resource. No matter how much healing you had your tank would run out of health if he took too much damage. It was, however, an element of only the toughest fights and as healing is much more limited and valuable, after all there are only that many spells you can cast within one fight and they take time, such additional resource might not be needed. Overall, while playing Deadfire beta, I am missing health/endurance much less than I thought I would. It was a bit more nuanced than the new injury system, but only “a bit”. 3) First things first: Baldur’s Gate and Pillars of Eternity didn’t have resource management outside each individual combat. Except some rare instances (Spellhold’s Labirynth) player can rest whenever they want, how often they want with only drawbacks were 1) annoying random encounters 2) wasting time running back to the town and buying supplies. While those games fake resource management by those soft restrictions, they do not have resource management – spending your “resource” badly isn’t punished in any way. It is similar to a health system or ammo, if you could simply refill those by pressing a button when you run low on it. I get that some people created self imposed restrictions, like resting only in taverns etc. but if players have to design their own rules to make a system fun, that means the original system has issues. With that in mind, there are two paths we can take to improve on that flawed system: rethink structure of the game to add an element of resource management (perma death dungeon run with limited system within? Aka. Darkest Dungeon) or focus on resource management which already is in the game – each individual combat. They went for the second. It might be your preferred way of doing, hell, I am not sure if it’s my preferred way of doing – I am a fan of tough decisions. But it is better than the previous system. This is an idea Obsidian was playing around even back in PoE1. March’s addition of free use of low level spells and later mastery of few spells was just that. If the old system worked – players played the way devs hope them to – I doubt they would change it just for the kicks. Obsidian revealed couple things, like people never switching Grimoires. I imagine way they paced and used spells also wasn’t what Obsidian was hoping for. So they changed it into something that better encouraged intended way of playing. As far as my concerns – I really have only one. How will Deadfire handle epic fights? In previous games those were handled by requiring players to use all their tools to win. For Deadfire they will have to rethink how they design those. It could lead to some fresh, dangerous opponents, but it also could be a big letdown, where fight with the epic dragon feels the same as an average fight. 4) Well, someone should have paid closer attention to campaign rather than blindly backing and assuming that the game will be what one imagined it will be. All those changed discussed above were announced early during the campaign. Shame on you. EDIT: Typos and grammatical incompetence.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.