Is Pathfinding Fixed?

In Pillars 1 I would occasionally (very rarely) run into a bug where I would select my party and issue an attack on a single enemy and they would almost completely envelope him instead of bunching up behind the two front party members. This is extremely frustrating when it happens. If I want the entire party to attack one unit then I would have shift-queue'd every individual character into position like a sane person. 

Also, sometimes I might select a unit to attack a ranged enemy on the opposite side of a brawl and instead of performing his usual back-and-forth juking maneuver he would just make a beeline for the target.

Have these issues been addressed at all or is character movement still prone to the same 'issues'? 

• Like 1

I found pathing much more reliable in Deadfire beta than in PoE. In one of the recent patches they added “push” mechanic from IE games - if two guys are already attacking an enemy and you will order a third guy to do it, if there is enough space your already static dudes will be pushed to a side to make space for a third one (without breaking engagement of course). Long range weapons tend to reach their targets reliably as well.

• Like 2

I found pathing much more reliable in Deadfire beta than in PoE. In one of the recent patches they added “push” mechanic from IE games - if two guys are already attacking an enemy and you will order a third guy to do it, if there is enough space your already static dudes will be pushed to a side to make space for a third one (without breaking engagement of course). Long range weapons tend to reach their targets reliably as well.

I have still had some issue with pathing, particularly in the chamber with the crap ton of traps guarding the entrance in the dungeon. That being said, as a whole, I do think it has improved which is very positive. 

• Like 1

There is an excellent improve with push effect for melee. It is already a great thing.

One problem remain : casting. if indeed, you can retarget. Often, retarget need a more larger area. So except if you approach your caster by anticipation, you retarget in a void without foes.

Edited by theBalthazar
  • Like 2

i asked an earlier question regarding maneuvering without breaking engagement. that will be really beneficial if you were to cast an aoe spell or skill. sadly that isn't implemented.

One problem remain : casting. if indeed, you can retarget. Often, retarget need a more larger area. So except if you approach your caster by anticipation, you retarget in a void without foes.

Yeah, but I don’t feel like there is an easy fix for that beside allowing you to move between “preparing” and casting a spell, which might introduce a new can of worms. Once the change will be live that cancelled casting doesn’t consume the spell it shouldnt be as frustrating, though as I usually target a back line I don’t run into that issue very often.

i asked an earlier question regarding maneuvering without breaking engagement. that will be really beneficial if you were to cast an aoe spell or skill. sadly that isn't implemented.

I am not 100% sure what you mean. Engaging works the same as it did in PoE. Once you are engaged in melee you and your enemy are locked down and if one of you moves away the enemy will get a free attack. This doesn’t work when a target is being pulled away, via spell or an ability. There are also abilities (like rogue’s escape), which allow characters to safely leave an engagement.

Overall, pathfinding feels much more solid and reliable in the Deadfire beta than PoE1 (at least the earlier versions, which I played for the most part).

However, I agree that them traps certainly make me tear my hair out, watching single party members seemingly beelining for a certain injury.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

In Pillars 1 I would occasionally (very rarely) run into a bug where I would select my party and issue an attack on a single enemy and they would almost completely envelope him instead of bunching up behind the two front party members. This is extremely frustrating when it happens. If I want the entire party to attack one unit then I would have shift-queue'd every individual character into position like a sane person. 

Also, sometimes I might select a unit to attack a ranged enemy on the opposite side of a brawl and instead of performing his usual back-and-forth juking maneuver he would just make a beeline for the target.

Have these issues been addressed at all or is character movement still prone to the same 'issues'? 

What you're describing is actually correct behaviour, but apart from that, yes, pathfinding is improved upon in Deadfire, the push effect is helping a lot.

• Like 1