It seems the portrait style changed. This is probably not news, but I only just saw it in the Neketaka video. Or is this style only used in scripted interactions perhaps, and the status screen will still have the old style of portrait?

post-69412-0-81961300-1487411091.png

Coastal Aumaua Watcher, Edér, Aloth, Xoti, Pallegina

I like Xoti's look, and Edér's. Pallegina looks worse than in the previous game, I think.

(Off-topic thought: Since my Watcher is a priest of Eothas, if I take Edér and Xoti, more than half my party is Eothasian.)

post-69412-0-81961300-1487411091_thumb.png

That was discussed during the watercolour stretch goal.

This style of portraits will be used for dialogue and scripted interactions.

For the standard GUI, portraits in the traditional style will still be there.

• Like 10

Therefore I have sailed the seas and come

To the holy city of Byzantium. -W.B. Yeats

Χριστός ἀνέστη!

The question still remains: how am I supposed to have a custom watercolour portrait if I have a custom standard portrait?

Now that you mention it... that is concerning. Perhaps they'll have a "watercolor vintage filter" to convert custom portraits?

Xoti is cuter than expected.

• Like 1

The question still remains: how am I supposed to have a custom watercolour portrait if I have a custom standard portrait?

Now that you mention it... that is concerning. Perhaps they'll have a "watercolor vintage filter" to convert custom portraits?

Xoti is cuter than expected.

Any decent image editor already has filters that will accomplish that, Obsidian doesn't need to develop one.

I think they all look fine, remember, this is a very low res image.  In game they will look better.

• Like 3

I don't think adding an image editor into a game is a good idea. Having to crop big portrait into a smaller one is also a bother, but they didn't include cropping tool in the first game. Their default portraits have watercolour alternatives, if we want custom ones it's our problem that they don't match the game's aesthetics.

• Like 5

Yes, but going to mess about in an image editor is a bother (if you're not into that sort of thing). That's why a simple button that converts the main portrait to a watercolor version would be great. Or would we need another stretch goal for such a button? ;)

The button we can have for free - connecting functionality to it will cost you  $100,000 :p (Disclaimer: Figure was pulled out of nether regions.  It may or may not bear any resemblance to actual needed figures.)

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

You have a year to work on your painting skill.

I've already started working on my custom watercolor portrait ;) 

Here's the original portrait (borrowed from here):

t8p574.jpg

And my watercolor portrait, compared to those from the Fig update:

2vla9vl.jpg

It could have been better, but I'm not that good with creating graphics :D 

• Like 26

That's really nice work actually.  If you are using an editor that has layers (assume you are), and the character is on a separate layer, all you need to do is lower the layer opacity a little.  After that go over the highest brightness parts of the your portrait with an eraser to lower their opacity further so they are especially transparent. 

Once those two things are done, it will be fairly spot on.

t8p574.jpg

2vla9vl.jpg

Wow i love what you did there. Obsidian should have hired you instead!

t8p574.jpg

2vla9vl.jpg

Great work! :)

With regards to customizing watercolour portraits, I wonder if there'll be an option in the game to choose one of several possible watercolour portraits, or even a watercolour portrait creator. The latter I kinda doubt, but I reckon this is something the devs might have already taken into account.

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

On a slightly different subject, I'm not entirely convinced with the look of the scripted interactions this time around. I mean, I like it and will not really complain if that's how it's kept, but the clutter on the sides of the image, what with the many artifacts around a table, the handle of a dagger and whatnot, make it somewhat less elegant in its presentation compared to the original. Is it just me, or does anyone else feel the same way?

All the same, it does look good. It can always be a matter of growing to like it.

• Like 1

On a slightly different subject, I'm not entirely convinced with the look of the scripted interactions this time around. I mean, I like it and will not really complain if that's how it's kept, but the clutter on the sides of the image, what with the many artifacts around a table, the handle of a dagger and whatnot, make it somewhat less elegant in its presentation compared to the original. Is it just me, or does anyone else feel the same way?

All the same, it does look good. It can always be a matter of growing to like it.

Agreed. Especially if someone's playing on a laptop. I'd rather the book pages took all the screen, without the clutter.

Agreed. Especially if someone's playing on a laptop. I'd rather the book pages took all the screen, without the clutter.

I like there being a border, though then again I do not play it on a laptop. I'd rather that border not be table clutter though. :p

t8p574.jpg

2vla9vl.jpg

I tried my own version. I might as well share.    post-69412-0-38076000-1487439840.png

• Like 4

Thank you guys for your kind words!

That's really nice work actually.  If you are using an editor that has layers (assume you are), and the character is on a separate layer, all you need to do is lower the layer opacity a little.  After that go over the highest brightness parts of the your portrait with an eraser to lower their opacity further so they are especially transparent. 

Once those two things are done, it will be fairly spot on.

It's still a work in progress, I'll defenitely use your tips :) 

iscalio, your version looks awesome! Would you mind sharing how you made it and which software you used?

• Like 1

t8p574.jpg

2vla9vl.jpg

Where did you get the background for your own version? Did you edit it from the Obsidian ones? I'd like to play around with my custom portrait as well.

• Like 1