Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

After PoE and Tyranny, you want to see what kind of fantasy settings that Obsidian create?

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1072 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Or maybe they could do some kind of modern day, maybe 20-min into the future spy action RPG...

You mean something like...    Alpha Protocol Plus?  8)

Edit: Sniped to the point...
Alpha Protocol: Cyberpunk 2199!!!

Attached Files

eimatshya

eimatshya

The Obsidian Order's Assigner of Ergativity

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

My preference would be for a science-fantasy, martial-arts-adventure RPG. Something like Avatar the Last Airbender meets Star Wars with a story of spiritual growth set against a conflict taking place both in space and on several planets, complete with some sort of climactic space battle where you fight your way to the enemy flagship and board it for the final confrontation with the villain.

As that game will almost certainly never exist, some sort of sci-fi or urban fantasy RPG would be cool. I'm a bit burnt out on medieval and post-apocalyptic settings.

btsam

btsam

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 7 posts

Cyberpunk is also a good option.

If them want to do urban fantasy theme,I believe that World of Darkness is a good reference object. :yes:

Urban fantasy can make fantasy elements and realistic events combined,or direct use of the urban legend.I will enjoy playing a paladin in the village of Texas to chase chupacabra, or a ranger at the Canadian border against wendigo. :yes:

So the lead story guy at White Wolf absolutely hates urban fantasy, or at least hates the idea of the World of Darkness being urban fantasy. I don't know what this will mean for any computer games set in the World of Darkness. I do know a Werewolf computer game is in the works, however.

I think Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines is pretty good. :yes:

• redneckdevil likes this

Chilloutman

Chilloutman

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1019 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

what is urban fantasy?

A classic fantasy elements and tropes placed in modern urban setting.

WTF so how can White Wolf lead writer hate it, its just their whole setting...

Sharp_one

Sharp_one

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 713 posts

what is urban fantasy?

A classic fantasy elements and tropes placed in modern urban setting.

WTF so how can White Wolf lead writer hate it, its just their whole setting...

It's rather horror more that classic fantasy. The lines are mostly blurry through the whole fantasy branches, but some claim they like one branch more than the other.
  • Azdeus likes this

Raithe

Raithe

Lurking Caped One of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3242 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Urban Fantasy tends to be viewed as more of the slide towards Dresden Files, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, the pulpy modern day with magic. Also, a big setting for the supernatural romance area of literary creations.

White Wolf tries to view itself as more the gothic horror branch rather than pure urban fantasy.

Edit: Although when you look at it, pretty much every one of White Wolf's World of Darkness setting was an angsty metaphor for teenager.

(Note, not to say that can't be fun. - Except Wraith, that was monumentally depressing)

Edited by Raithe, 12 July 2017 - 01:20 AM.

Blodhemn

Blodhemn

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 717 posts
Goth Rage might be his suited genre reference.

FlintlockJazz

FlintlockJazz

White Rabbit of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1852 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

The Expanse as an RPG made by Obsidian would make me happy in inappropriate places.

• Mamoulian War likes this

Flouride

Flouride

Chew Toy of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1840 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Since we're discussing "clones" of other games, I'd like to see Obsidian do their own spin on the Mass Effect-type game.

Or maybe a wild west type game!

Supernatural wild west game. Make it happen!

TrueNeutral

TrueNeutral

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 2384 posts
  • Steam:funderbunk

I've always loved the idea of taking a cliched Tolkien high fantasy universe, and dropping a Mad Max style apocalypse on it. Dwarves with their legs replaced by tank treads, magic-addicted elves raiding towns in spiked dune buggies for magical fuel.

• WDeranged, Raithe, redneckdevil and 1 other like this

WDeranged

WDeranged

Ordinator of The Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1885 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I'd be very happy to see a historical setting.  Or maybe something heavily inspired by an ancient culture.

I've always loved the idea of taking a cliched Tolkien high fantasy universe, and dropping a Mad Max style apocalypse on it. Dwarves with their legs replaced by tank treads, magic-addicted elves raiding towns in spiked dune buggies for magical fuel.

Love this idea.

injurai

injurai

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1188 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Hard Science Fiction:

None of that whacked out Numenera stuff, or super high fantasy Star Wars / Mass Effect stuff.

But also not military grit which is what most hard sci-fi ends up being.

I really want Cowboy Bebop; Not the brand but the approach. Keep things just in our solar system and maybe the nearest habitable solar system.

I want that quality of feeling small in a much larger world.

• Jozape, redneckdevil, Kirk and 1 other like this

Kirk

Kirk

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 33 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Something wuxia style, maybe placed in China's Warlords Era? I could be either fantasy-like or historical - I would welcome both :)

EDIT: I missed the post 'bout Cowboy Bebop, but yes, that also would be great thing. It was a great crossing of styles - spaghetti westerns, space opera, film noir, and cyberpunk and I think of something similiar (but not the same of course). Also something Might & Magic style would be fun - world, which seems to be pure fantasy style, but with advanced space technology hidden uinderneath.

Oh, Obsidian doing Might & Magic would be awesome too, but it's impossible.

Edited by Kirk, 12 July 2017 - 07:25 AM.

• injurai likes this

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1072 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Hard Science Fiction:
None of that whacked out Numenera stuff.

Yeah, I didn't really consider Planescape as sci-fi either... more like psychadelic fantasy.

injurai

injurai

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1188 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Hard Science Fiction:
None of that whacked out Numenera stuff.

Yeah, I didn't really consider Planescape as sci-fi either... more like psychadelic fantasy.

When I was younger I really liked that sort of hybrid all the magic all the tech all the time. Sort of post post everything fantastic world absurdum.

But it just doesn't appeal to me as much these days, and I feel it's actually be quite a long time since we had a proper SciFi crpg.

Azdeus

Azdeus

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 595 posts
  • Location:Sweden. The ass-end of nowhere, on the right hand side.

Urban Fantasy tends to be viewed as more of the slide towards Dresden Files, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, the pulpy modern day with magic. Also, a big setting for the supernatural romance area of literary creations.

White Wolf tries to view itself as more the gothic horror branch rather than pure urban fantasy.

Edit: Although when you look at it, pretty much every one of White Wolf's World of Darkness setting was an angsty metaphor for teenager.

(Note, not to say that can't be fun. - Except Wraith, that was monumentally depressing)

If they were to take on anything by White Wolf, I'd rather they do Changeling. I'd like to see what Obsidian can do with that trippy setting.

Raithe

Raithe

Lurking Caped One of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3242 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I'm sure I've seen a couple of those done in that mass of d20 open source gaming.

Belle Sorciere

Belle Sorciere

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 158 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

They could be an angsty metaphor for teenager, but they weren't limited to that.

Also, Wraith was hella fun.

As far as White Wolf goes, the White Wolf we have today is not the White Wolf we had a decade or two decades ago. This White Wolf's lead storyteller (Martin Elricsson) has expressed his utter disdain for "urban fantasy" and you can see it expressed in this interview as something White Wolf previously did wrong in his eyes.

injurai

injurai

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1188 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Something wuxia style, maybe placed in China's Warlords Era? I could be either fantasy-like or historical - I would welcome both :)

EDIT: I missed the post 'bout Cowboy Bebop, but yes, that also would be great thing. It was a great crossing of styles - spaghetti westerns, space opera, film noir, and cyberpunk and I think of something similiar (but not the same of course). Also something Might & Magic style would be fun - world, which seems to be pure fantasy style, but with advanced space technology hidden uinderneath.

Oh, Obsidian doing Might & Magic would be awesome too, but it's impossible.

Wuxia would be neat. I've always wondered what a fully historical infinity-like crpg would be like. No magic. But certainly you might have bonuses or attributes tied to practicing faith or some other religion. If only because of a sort of placebo affect.

Something set between 700 CE - 1400 CE somewhere in France or Spain. It's sort of the forgotten flavor of medieval history. A game of debauchery, drunken monks, etc.

Of course for historical stuff you need an enemy and there is a limited amount of agreed upon "villains" in history. So I can see it being hard to make those sorts of games.

btsam

btsam

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 7 posts

Maybe they can try shenmo.

Classic wuxia theme, like Jin Yong's works, in the story and background is more focused on describing the relationship between people and people,the main character may have just learned martial arts from a faction,and then to the streets, perform his own justice.In this process, he will create own enemies, met a crazy beggar(But he is actually a master of martial arts),met a girl who love him(But her father is actually your master's enemy), found his master has a terrible ambition--This is wuxia.

Classic shenmo theme,like Journey to the West, in the story and background is more focused on "high exists",is the story of Immortals and yaoguai.The animal become yaojing,disguised as a human being lurking in society,ready to prey on humans.The main character may be is daoshi,or even Immortals and yaoguai.They are hunting monsters and ghosts at night,to save the common people as their responsibility--This is shenmo.

There are also have xuanxia,this is the style of Huang Yi,he can fuse wuxia into almost any other subject.I think Jade Empire is closer to  xuanxia.

• aluminiumtrioxid, eimatshya and anameforobsidian like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users