After PoE and Tyranny, you want to see what kind of fantasy settings that Obsidian create?

btsam

Hard Science Fiction:

None of that whacked out Numenera stuff.

Yeah, I didn't really consider Planescape as sci-fi either... more like psychadelic fantasy.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Hard Science Fiction:

None of that whacked out Numenera stuff.

Yeah, I didn't really consider Planescape as sci-fi either... more like psychadelic fantasy.

When I was younger I really liked that sort of hybrid all the magic all the tech all the time. Sort of post post everything fantastic world absurdum.

But it just doesn't appeal to me as much these days, and I feel it's actually be quite a long time since we had a proper SciFi crpg.

Urban Fantasy tends to be viewed as more of the slide towards Dresden Files, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, the pulpy modern day with magic. Also, a big setting for the supernatural romance area of literary creations.

White Wolf tries to view itself as more the gothic horror branch rather than pure urban fantasy.

Edit: Although when you look at it, pretty much every one of White Wolf's World of Darkness setting was an angsty metaphor for teenager.

(Note, not to say that can't be fun. - Except Wraith, that was monumentally depressing)

If they were to take on anything by White Wolf, I'd rather they do Changeling. I'd like to see what Obsidian can do with that trippy setting.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I've always loved the idea of taking a cliched Tolkien high fantasy universe, and dropping a Mad Max style apocalypse on it. Dwarves with their legs replaced by tank treads, magic-addicted elves raiding towns in spiked dune buggies for magical fuel.

I'm sure I've seen a couple of those done in that mass of d20 open source gaming.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Urban Fantasy tends to be viewed as more of the slide towards Dresden Files, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, the pulpy modern day with magic. Also, a big setting for the supernatural romance area of literary creations.

White Wolf tries to view itself as more the gothic horror branch rather than pure urban fantasy.

Edit: Although when you look at it, pretty much every one of White Wolf's World of Darkness setting was an angsty metaphor for teenager.

(Note, not to say that can't be fun. - Except Wraith, that was monumentally depressing)

They could be an angsty metaphor for teenager, but they weren't limited to that.

Also, Wraith was hella fun.

As far as White Wolf goes, the White Wolf we have today is not the White Wolf we had a decade or two decades ago. This White Wolf's lead storyteller (Martin Elricsson) has expressed his utter disdain for "urban fantasy" and you can see it expressed in this interview as something White Wolf previously did wrong in his eyes.

Something wuxia style, maybe placed in China's Warlords Era? I could be either fantasy-like or historical - I would welcome both :)

EDIT: I missed the post 'bout Cowboy Bebop, but yes, that also would be great thing. It was a great crossing of styles - spaghetti westerns, space opera, film noir, and cyberpunk and I think of something similiar (but not the same of course). Also something Might & Magic style would be fun - world, which seems to be pure fantasy style, but with advanced space technology hidden uinderneath.

Oh, Obsidian doing Might & Magic would be awesome too, but it's impossible.

Wuxia would be neat. I've always wondered what a fully historical infinity-like crpg would be like. No magic. But certainly you might have bonuses or attributes tied to practicing faith or some other religion. If only because of a sort of placebo affect.

Something set between 700 CE - 1400 CE somewhere in France or Spain. It's sort of the forgotten flavor of medieval history. A game of debauchery, drunken monks, etc.

Of course for historical stuff you need an enemy and there is a limited amount of agreed upon "villains" in history. So I can see it being hard to make those sorts of games.

Maybe they can try shenmo.

Classic wuxia theme, like Jin Yong's works, in the story and background is more focused on describing the relationship between people and people,the main character may have just learned martial arts from a faction,and then to the streets, perform his own justice.In this process, he will create own enemies, met a crazy beggar(But he is actually a master of martial arts),met a girl who love him(But her father is actually your master's enemy), found his master has a terrible ambition--This is wuxia.

Classic shenmo theme,like Journey to the West, in the story and background is more focused on "high exists",is the story of Immortals and yaoguai.The animal become yaojing,disguised as a human being lurking in society,ready to prey on humans.The main character may be is daoshi,or even Immortals and yaoguai.They are hunting monsters and ghosts at night,to save the common people as their responsibility--This is shenmo.

There are also have xuanxia,this is the style of Huang Yi,he can fuse wuxia into almost any other subject.I think Jade Empire is closer to  xuanxia.

• Like 3

So many options, here's my list in order:

- Underwater.  I love Underwater settings.

- Industrial Revolution in an industrializing region.  Arcanum nailed Tarant, but farmers being squeezed by inventions and violent mine strikes would be great.  Add in an Imperialism expansion, and you could have a neat game.  

-  Warring states.  I think Obsidian lacks the historical context but could do a great shot with research.  The interesting thing about a warring states RPG would be the factions.  Not only do you have feudal land-based political factions, but you also have very different religious/philosophical sects like the technocratic Mohism, extremely orthoprax Confucians, and the strange traditional religions.  

- Cyberpunk in Dubai or another Arabic state.

- A setting based off the heavy use of genetic engineering.

• Like 1

I want to see more of Tyranny's world.

And I'm always up for Space Opera.

• Like 2
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Perhaps an Avatar setting... if Ubisoft is doing it, why not Obsidian? :p

• Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Something about time-travel in steampunk setting (so player's meta-knowledge would be acknowledged by the game).

Or cyberpunk. Possibly, with magic and dragons (like Shadowrun). Times of huge technological, economical and social changes are always interesting.

Dark Angel!

I was more thinking Geneforge.  If you haven't played it, the graphics are crap but the writing and exploration of the series is fantastic.  It's one of the standout rpg series of the last 20 years.

I have looked at them a couple times, hows the combat?

Years ago I had an idea/vision for a game that I think would've been cool. With Rogue-lite/like elements, where you are an ordinary citizen. Going to work, shopping, gym. Essentially "The Sims" (but first person or third person GTA).

Then, at random, could be 1 day, 2 days, or heck maybe even a week, the skies open, thunder, and alien invasion.

Would be cool to see something similar, something awfully ordinary that twists and turns and becomes exciting and thrilling. Hmm... a fantasy setting based on Berserk (manga/anime)? That would be absolutely awesome. Don't know if that sort of thing is interesting for Obsidian, but an isometric RTwP Berserk game would be magical.

Or a game based on Vagabond/Musashi Miyamoto (historical).

Edited by Osvir
  • Like 1

Dark Angel!

I was more thinking Geneforge.  If you haven't played it, the graphics are crap but the writing and exploration of the series is fantastic.  It's one of the standout rpg series of the last 20 years.

I have looked at them a couple times, hows the combat?

The system is serviceable, not great.  Exploration is the selling point, but the combat is decent enough (especially in later games) to make it worthwhile.  The enemies and battles can get quite varied, but frequently your character will do the same things over and over again, especially if they're a summoner.

It's a somewhat loose class based system, where your classes give you advantages on skills everyone can take.  There are three archetypes to aim for here: warrior, spy-mage, or summoner.  The spy mages used ranged weapons and a lot of magical spells, particularly damage.  The warriors use physical weapons and self-buffs.  The summoners obviously summon creatures and also buff.  Maintaining a summoned creature takes a permanent chunk out of your mana, and you can unmake them to get it back.  As you explore, trainers and canisters (that rewrite your DNA) can improve your summons, eventually letting you summon an upgraded type of creature.  However, creatures level up if you keep them alive, which can make them substantially stronger, so there's a neat tension between summoning new creatures and leveling up old ones.

• Like 1

The system is serviceable, not great.  Exploration is the selling point, but the combat is decent enough (especially in later games) to make it worthwhile.  The enemies and battles can get quite varied, but frequently your character will do the same things over and over again, especially if they're a summoner.

It's a somewhat loose class based system, where your classes give you advantages on skills everyone can take.  There are three archetypes to aim for here: warrior, spy-mage, or summoner.  The spy mages used ranged weapons and a lot of magical spells, particularly damage.  The warriors use physical weapons and self-buffs.  The summoners obviously summon creatures and also buff.  Maintaining a summoned creature takes a permanent chunk out of your mana, and you can unmake them to get it back.  As you explore, trainers and canisters (that rewrite your DNA) can improve your summons, eventually letting you summon an upgraded type of creature.  However, creatures level up if you keep them alive, which can make them substantially stronger, so there's a neat tension between summoning new creatures and leveling up old ones.

I you could only play one, which one would you play? I read a long time ago 3 was really well done... or maybe it was 4.

For setting I would like to see a Medieval Europe dominated by a Vampire caste that came to power 200 year earlier. Thier power has weakened with the coming of the Plague. Do our heroes help the Vampire lords they serve, or betray them for thier own kind. 

I wouldn't want them to do any "fantasy". I'm just about done with elves, dwarves, wizards broad swords snd chainmails; or their "science-fantasy" counterparts.

I'd really like to see Obsidian doing something more grouded to current day, history not beyond the past 150 or so years, or - more preferably - near future low-scifi.

• Like 1

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

Something unique. Something they've always wanted to make. That's what I want their next game to be. Because it's the unique games that become legendary. It's the games a developer has always wanted to make that he puts most effort into. Those are the games that have a soul, the games that just feel right. Those are the games that are most fun and most motivating to me.

I love the companions in PoE, and the lore is well detailed, but somehow it feels too much like a BG without the DnD license. I can't help it. Most of the best and most atmospheric games that I've played weren't copies of anything. Exceptions like Arx Fatalis only prove the rule. ;)

Don't worry, I'll still buy PoE II, because I miss Edér and Pallegina. Actually, I'm missing all of my companions except for Durance. I don't like him at all. And that murderer from Caroc. I didn't even pick him up, because I wasn't playing an evil character.

Too pathetic? Okay, okay, I'll admit it. I'd like steampunk or science-fiction. Or maybe urban fantasy. Something that hasn't been overused in RPGs yet.

By the way, Sony is still looking for someone who has a good concept for a new Anachronox. Modernize the combat system, work a bit on the lore, add some good graphics, and you could create the new Mass Effect without copying Mass Effect. (Hey, a woman needs her dreams, okay?)