What did you do today?

Blarghagh

Hey, Katphood, your little black kitty looks a lot like my little black kitty. I have Duseren and Morwenna. Duseren was a kitten one of our friends had to give away, but I saved wee Morwenna, the little grey beast, from the pound. Talking about cats is so much better than dwelling on urine.

QMya0tE.jpg

Edited by Epaminondas
  • Like 2

χαίρετε

Watching Arsenal continue to fail as they're going out to Atletico Madrid today

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I've been playing American Truck Simulator all week. I'm still in the tutorial where I'm doing a bunch of class room stuff, but yesterday I did get my permit so now I'm also getting in the actual trucks and practicing backing up in the yard. I can't wait until I get my CDL and the real game begins.

So what are you reversing with I then ask? Also, mirrors or out the window?

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I've been playing American Truck Simulator all week. I'm still in the tutorial where I'm doing a bunch of class room stuff, but yesterday I did get my permit so now I'm also getting in the actual trucks and practicing backing up in the yard. I can't wait until I get my CDL and the real game begins.

So what are you reversing with I then ask? Also, mirrors or out the window?

A Volvo truck and a 53' box trailer.  For now I've only done the straight back up and the offset, both of those I mainly just use the mirrors.  I'll probably pop my head out of the window a lot more for the 90° back up, but I haven't gotten to that yet.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Duseren was a kitten one of our friends had to give away, but I saved wee Morwenna, the little grey beast, from the pound.

Wow! That is exactly how I got my cats as well. They must be soulmates. :)

• Like 1

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Duseren was a kitten one of our friends had to give away, but I saved wee Morwenna, the little grey beast, from the pound.

Wow! That is exactly how I got my cats as well. They must be soulmates. :)

Almost all of my cats have been strays over the years, which means I get them at different times and ages. This time, I wanted cats who can get along, so I went to the pound in order to save a kitty at the same time we got Duseren. It worked beautifully and they pal around together very well.

...And I'm sure they'd be honored to be in the august company of your fell beasts! :faint smile with one raised eyebrow:

• Like 3

χαίρετε

a guy got on the wrong exit of the highway and thought it was a good idea to just reverse the car back into the highway... and straight on my car that was behind him. good thing i'm always on guard about idiots when i drive so i noticed that something was wrong and expected him to do something stupid, so i had my hand on the horn and pressed it as soon as his reverse lights turned on. to be on the safe side i had already stopped quite a bit behind 

Edited by teknoman2

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

A Volvo truck and a 53' box trailer.  For now I've only done the straight back up and the offset, both of those I mainly just use the mirrors.  I'll probably pop my head out of the window a lot more for the 90° back up, but I haven't gotten to that yet.

Nice, are you going to learn how to handle dollytrailers aswell or are you skipping that? I'm not well versed in the US rules when it comes to trailer combinations so I don't know if they're even allowed. The most common combination here is a swapbody with a dollytrailer but from what I understand that's not allowed outside of scandinavia?

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Nice, are you going to learn how to handle dollytrailers aswell or are you skipping that? I'm not well versed in the US rules when it comes to trailer combinations so I don't know if they're even allowed. The most common combination here is a swapbody with a dollytrailer but from what I understand that's not allowed outside of scandinavia?

I'm not completely sure what swapbodies are.  There is a separate endorsement you can get to be able to pull double trailers (or triple), which involves hooking up what's called a dolly over here, which is basically just a 5th wheel on an axle that allows you to hook up a second and potentially third trailer. 

Converter-SIDE-VIEW.jpg

I'm probably not going to get it right away, because the company I'm going with to start doesn't really run doubles, but it's something I plan to get in the future.  I'm definitely going to try to get my HazMat (Hazardous Materials) endorsement before I graduate, though.  The nice thing about that is that I can take the HazMat test at any DMV in the state, so I can take it when I'm home on the weekend or something.  You do have to get fingerprinted and have a background check run to get a HazMaz endorsement, but I can do that right here in Charlotte.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I thought truckers peeing into bottles sans stopping was a well known phenomenon. Roadside America Jugs of Pee. (don't worry its just an infographic)

It is.  As is Gerard Depardieu on planes.

I thought we were trying to be funny. :(

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I'm not completely sure what swapbodies are.  There is a separate endorsement you can get to be able to pull double trailers (or triple), which involves hooking up what's called a dolly over here, which is basically just a 5th wheel on an axle that allows you to hook up a second and potentially third trailer. 

I'm probably not going to get it right away, because the company I'm going with to start doesn't really run doubles, but it's something I plan to get in the future.  I'm definitely going to try to get my HazMat (Hazardous Materials) endorsement before I graduate, though.  The nice thing about that is that I can take the HazMat test at any DMV in the state, so I can take it when I'm home on the weekend or something.  You do have to get fingerprinted and have a background check run to get a HazMaz endorsement, but I can do that right here in Charlotte.

A swapbody is a lorry that has a detachable cargocontainer on their back.

Scania_(4-series)_with_EU-trailer._25.25

Yep, dollies are the same here, the ones I work with have dual axles but that's where the difference ends. You're not allowed to have a total length over 25.25(80-something feet) metres in Sweden so no double or triple trailers unfortunately. :(

Well, I say unfortunately, but I don't really mean that. It'd be a nightmare to meet in traffic on our roads.

I did speak to the owner of a freight company, and he's getting borderline desperate enough to actually pay for someones licence... We exchanged numbers, and I'm hoping to get a call from him. I've worked as an yardworker for a year now, and he knows it, and I'm good friends with quite a few of his drivers.

• Like 1

I'm on vacation for the next week. Staycation really because I intend not to leave my house for the next 10 days. All the work around here is caught up so I'm sitting on the porch today enjoying adult beverages and jamming music on my outdoor speakers. 

Now playing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvmLRiXaAnM&feature=share

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I've gotten out of the habit of exercising every day. So I'm making myself get up and take a walk every morning. So this morning Sunny and I walked down to the junction of Cold Creek and the Hatchee River (3 miles, 5k round trip give or take). While there I saw a half dozen ducks in the slack water on the north side of the junction. I whipped out my phone a snapped a few pics. It was a perfect moment. Until you-know-who saw them and charged barking into the creek. Well, that was the end of that. 

That dog is incorrigible. I've been trying to train her for years now. And there is a lot of things she knows and can do. But she has exactly 0 impulse control. She is very lovable though. 

31961192_2061719150753455_89924721125307

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Great day at school so far today. Everything clicked for me when practicing the offset backup. I got it perfect a couple times in a row with no pull ups. Given that on the test you are given 2 free pull ups before they start marking you down, I'm very confident in my ability to pass (though I'll still practice). The one thing left now is the 90 degree, which, in theory should be easier than the offset (according to my instructor, anyway) since you never lose sight of your target, whereas in the offset you do temporarily lose sight of the target.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Great day at school so far today. Everything clicked for me when practicing the offset backup. I got it perfect a couple times in a row with no pull ups. Given that on the test you are given 2 free pull ups before they start marking you down, I'm very confident in my ability to pass (though I'll still practice). The one thing left now is the 90 degree, which, in theory should be easier than the offset (according to my instructor, anyway) since you never lose sight of your target, whereas in the offset you do temporarily lose sight of the target.

Out of curiosity, what exactly is it that you're practicing?

Out of curiosity, what exactly is it that you're practicing?

Backing up a tractor trailer.
  • Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Can't go to the new job I found anymore. It's just way too far from the place I live and I don't have a car. Getting too frail and weak to do anything actually, I bet even if I had a car I would bitch about not being able to drive it properly...

One of these days dad is going to pass away and I officially have to live on the streets and beg for food. Oh well...

Can't go to the new job I found anymore. It's just way too far from the place I live and I don't have a car. Getting too frail and weak to do anything actually, I bet even if I had a car I would bitch about not being able to drive it properly...

One of these days dad is going to pass away and I officially have to live on the streets and beg for food. Oh well...

You can always crash at my place.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Thanks, buddy. :)

Actually, I have my own apartment and thankfully, I don't have to live on the streets. But now I have to look after my insurance plan and make sure nothing goes wrong with it. There are bills to pay and then there are my two cats. I'll still look for work though, maybe I'll find something that has less driving and hiking. 

Feel free to crash at my place, too. I'll provide you with food, bud and cats. :) 

^Ill have you know, youre slowly destroying my preconceived notions of life in Iran. :yes:

What were they?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

What were they?

Hmm, good question. I guess I just assume that living in a heavily religious society (like where its part of your daily government) means you are never more than one slight transgression away from being savagely caned in the town square. :lol:

I imagine the Europeans view Puritanical America in much the same light. :p