The strongest beta build

Nail

Nice combo. You can't get to Deep Wounds with a multiclass char in the beta but at further levels this would be really nice.

Concerning Savage Attack (since it surprised me that it should be multiplicative):

I just did a quick test with a Bleak Walker/rogue and did a Sneak Attack + FoD + Savage Attack and when I re-calculated the damage that was displayed and it only fit when I assumed that Savage Attack is applied additively, nut multiplicatively.

Ah sorry my mistake here :p What I really mean is that since neither Ranger nor Priest has a good additive bonus like sneak attack or soul whip bonus, I use savage attack here for replacement since ranger's high accuracy.

Ah, ok. :thumbsup:

Yes, with that many ACC bonuses Savage Attack works quite well.

Another combo I like with Savage Attack + good ACC:

Assasin/Bleak Walker with Backstab and Smoke Cloud: the attack from stealth has several bonuses (Assassinate + Backstab + Sneak Attack), so has FoD (+20 ACC, 2 lashes). I have numbers over 300 against CRE_Dummy that way and can do it 5 times per encounter. And in between I'll have Eternal Devotion with +20% lash. I'll do an Arterial Strike without Savage Attack and then use Smoke Cloud: the enemy wants to reach another target since I'm gone, suffering a lot of raw damage from moving while I prepare my final Backstab. :) It's really a great combo - especially because the Bleak Walker makes it very sturdy (for an Assassin) because of the nice defensive passives. Sadly Assassination doesn't work from invisibility yet (althoug it says so in the tooltip). Would be even better with a priest with Devotions in the party...

I'm really thinking about playing a Bleak Walker again in PoE in order to import im to Deadfire as Bleak Walker/Assassin. ;)

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Assasin/Bleak Walker with Backstab and Smoke Cloud: the attack from stealth has several bonuses (Assassinate + Backstab + Sneak Attack), so has FoD (+20 ACC, 2 lashes). I have numbers over 300 against CRE_Dummy that way and can do it 5 times per encounter. And in between I'll have Eternal Devotion with +20% lash. I'll do an Arterial Strike without Savage Attack and then use Smoke Cloud: the enemy wants to reach another target since I'm gone, suffering a lot of raw damage from moving while I prepare my final Backstab. :) It's really a great combo - especially because the Bleak Walker makes it very sturdy (for an Assassin) because of the nice defensive passives. Sadly Assassination doesn't work from invisibility yet (althoug it says so in the tooltip). Would be even better with a priest with Devotions in the party...

I'm really thinking about playing a Bleak Walker again in PoE in order to import im to Deadfire as Bleak Walker/Assassin. ;)

Yep, even after the nerf of FoD and assassinate, it is still pretty good. One issue is the duration of Smoke Veil is short, so if your dex and int is low, there is risk that you turn visible before the recovery time.

In compare Berath/Stalker is easier to use because u just wounding shot everyone u see and it does massive damage. I hope summon weapon cast time got uptuned in the future.

Edited by dunehunter

Many of you play a berserker/something else.

How do you deal with confusion of the berserker?

Supress affliction of a priest does not last very long, and it takes some time until a berserker/paladin can get resistance to intelligence ( not sure if a multiclass can have it without cheating in the beta right now).

^ in the second beta, I was just making berserker/wayfarers, and ignoring the fact they can hit each other completely (since they also didn't had enough PEN vs 13+ AR)

P.S. I was thinking for awhile to make a fist-based bers-wayfarer with Aegis of Loyalty. But since carnage doesn't carry over onHit effects now, left that idea.

Edited by MaxQuest

Many of you play a berserker/something else.

How do you deal with confusion of the berserker?

Supress affliction of a priest does not last very long, and it takes some time until a berserker/paladin can get resistance to intelligence ( not sure if a multiclass can have it without cheating in the beta right now).

Well to me I never bother dealing with confusion because I don't think it is a big deal. Enable friendly fire hurts a caster build more than melee build.

You can pick Berserker/Fighter and pick Tactical Barrage if u really care about confusion.

Edited by dunehunter

Wish they'd waited until assassinate was working from invisibility before nerfing it. The switch from +100% all damage to +50% crit damage is severe.... In the previous patch damage modifiers (like resolve) for DoT ticks without attack rolls depended on the state at the time of each tick, so iirc it was possible to have the assassinate damage bonus apply to the DoT tick of attacks made outside of stealth if you then became invisible.

Edited by SaruNi

During my test I find the CRE_TIGER has a beautiful ability called Flurry of Tiger, I added it to my character and suddenly I fall in love with it :D

Specially compare to the extremely slow recovery time now, I have to admit I missed the 0 recovery in PoE 1 :)

YF2eVYz.png

Edited by dunehunter
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There was a build in PoE 1 for cipher that basically switched around blunderbusses. Not only was it very effective (got a bit nerfed later on) - it would greatly fit the theme in PoE2 :)

Is there anything viable like this in Beta, especially now that guns can be dual-wielded? I assume it would be a Devoted multiclass..

Edited by Veevoir

Instead of Devoted you could also use a Sharpshooter. Since you are switching the slower recovery of the Sharpshooter isn't important as well as the Two Weapon Style. And you also get PEN like a Devoted plus an animal companion. Also Wounding Shot with blunderbusses is really good. Especially once you get Accurate Wounding Shot which often leads to crits, then overpenetration and then +30% damage with the blunderbusses. I would say this is better than Devoted overall, but I didn't compare them ingame. Also later: Driving Flight = even more focus. But you will only have two weapon slots, not three. To balance this out a bit you'd have Gunner though.

Another alternative would be Black Jacket/Cipher for an additional weapon slot (4) and even faster switching. That's 8 blunderbuss shots with Tactical Barrage... also not bad.

Best ranged option for me so far (for a cipher) is Cipher/Wizard with Kalakoth's Minor Blights in one hand and a dagger in the other.

I actually thought about using both (Devoted+Sharpshooter) for maximum effect with pistol or blunderbuss. Both PEN bonuses as well the ability to increase the terribad accuracy of the weapon with barrage buff from Devoted.

Specially compare to the extremely slow recovery time now, I have to admit I missed the 0 recovery in PoE 1 :)

Ah-ah! Told ya. Now you guys are finally starting to see things from my POV ;)

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

During my test I find the CRE_TIGER has a beautiful ability called Flurry of Tiger, I added it to my character and suddenly I fall in love with it :D

YF2eVYz.png

sorry for off-topic. flurry of claws but the icon that represent it (a bicep?) the art design and representation in deadfire seems very inconsistent

Cool thread. I am not in BETA or backer but I will buy Obsidian edition. I will avoid spoilers and do not comment anymore on this thread but it is interesting reading your builds.

The thread name is excellent :

"The strongest beta build"

sounds like the best of best builds competition and discussion.

Edited by Terminator

Cool thread. I am not in BETA or backer but I will buy Obsidian edition. I will avoid spoilers and do not comment anymore on this thread but it is interesting reading your builds.

it also means the thread for devs to nerf the popular buillds and forgetting the "underpowered" build.  i hope this is not the case with obisidian.

I just checked in game and a very small variant of that icon is visible above the tiger's head while he's "casting" (you know - the round symbol in that bar over everybody's head that shows the action).

And once it is cast you can see the icon when you do a mouseover on the tiger (tooltip with the enemy's  stats and afflcitions and so on pops up). Also smaller than the icon above of course, but you can clearly see that it's a flexed arm.

So I guess you were right. I hope they can change its appearance and that not all creatures' ability have the same icon. :)

• Like 1

it also means the thread for devs to nerf the popular buillds and forgetting the "underpowered" build.  i hope this is not the case with obisidian.

"Weakest beta build" thread is way shorter than this one. Devs might be under impression that players don't care about UP nearly as much as about OP.

Vancian =/= per rest.

I'm pretty sure that at some point in PoE1's life cycle, Obsidian just started following Boeroer around and nerfed whatever he came up with. ^^

Because they have noticed he is a genious in builds.

I am not into BETA but slowly grasping some concepts for me it is about what is the DUMP stat that I can set to 3!

I don't understand how RESOLVE can be that it likes a hit me if it is 3...

Intelligence I get it can be important for some casters and maybe rangers... however a melee wielding tank what do you need that INT for?

Boreor had some builds he wanted to dump CON to really low and that is not to my liking but everybody have their style. I rather create my own builds... but there was a Druid build from forums  I liked that I used in POE1 new run.

Edited by Terminator
  • Like 1