The strongest beta build

Nail

don't ostrich aim and/or disciplined strikes prevent distraction?

On a side note could you go for bleak wanker/black jacket and take clear head to prevent the perception malus? is there any indication that there are items with spells bound to them like in PoE 1?

If you have an inspiration like Intuitive and get hit by Distracted (from Powder Burns) they cancel each other out. I don't want to cast Disciplined Strikes after every shot with Powder Burns. ;)

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Does combusted wounds work with branded enemy?

Can't say (would have to test first) - but if Combusting Wounds works anything like in PoE then ticks of DoTs won't trigger it (only the initial hit). It seems to be connected to actual hit rolls. A blunderbuss however triggers it 5 times (if you hit 5 times that is of course). Even more often with Powder Burns (even adds hits to the initial target).

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

On a side note could you go for bleak wanker/black jacket and take clear head to prevent the perception malus? is there any indication that there are items with spells bound to them like in PoE 1?

If you have an inspiration like Intuitive and get hit by Distracted (from Powder Burns) they cancel each other out. I don't weant to cast Disciplined Strikes after every shot with Powder Burns. ;)

So any level affliction will cancel out any level inspiration?

Only of the same attribute (perception affliction + perception inspiration = 0; and vice versa).

And then it doesn't matter which rank the affliction/inspiration has. For example Distracted removes Aware or Intuitive although the later is tier 3 and distracted is of a lower tier.

If you are distracted and cast Disciplined Strikes you will not be intuitive. Distracted will be removed.

Same behavior with Disciplined Barrage which only grants Aware.

So if you are distracted and plan to use Disciplined Barrage or Strikes you should first get rid of distraction (for example with an inspiration that a priest casts on you) - or you just cast Disciplined Barrage twice.

This may also be a reason to take Tactical Barrage instead of Disciplined Strikes: You will get a percention inspiration plus an intellect inspiration. It needs an percention AND an intellect affliction to remove both. You can also counter both types of afflictions with Tactical Barrage. Truly tactical that. ;)

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

If you have an inspiration like Intuitive and get hit by Distracted (from Powder Burns) they cancel each other out. I don't weant to cast Disciplined Strikes after every shot with Powder Burns. ;)

So any level affliction will cancel out any level inspiration?

Never mind. 

Edited by PatrioticChief

Tested my favorite setup (wizard/monk) again:

- Nalpasca

- Swift Flurry

- Kalakoth's Minor Blights

- Eldritch Aim

- Merciless Gaze

- One Weapon Style

- Dance of Death

- Duality of Mortal Presence - INT (console)

- Pull of Eora (tested with a single class wizard)

Plan: take a drug, activate Dance of Death (wounds start flying in until you have +10 INT), summon Minor Blights, cast Eldritch Aim & Merciless Gaze, pull 5 or 6 (or so) enemies togehter with Pull of Eora, activate Swift Flurry and fire with the Blights: *ratatatatata* all are dead.

Outcome: Still works like a charm. Despite the nerf of Swift Flurry. The Pull of Eora part could be left out because I used dummies which don't move. I just tested how the pull works now and it's much more controlled than in PoE. Yu can combine it with Binding Web to prevent any movement after the pull so that everybody is packed together tightly. You only need that for the one killshot with the Blights - so short duration is irrelevant.

With Spirit Lance it's not really possible to do that on your own (in the beta4) anymore because it lacks ACC and conversion compared to one-handed Minor Blights. But woith a Chanter in the party who can cast Killers it also works (due to 50% hit-to-crit conversion). Maybe also a Shadowflame will help.

It also works with monk/fighter (rod+Blast+Disciplined Strikes) and a monk/chanter (rod+blast+Killers).

Swift Flurry, AoE weapon attacks and high ACC/conversion: Still the strongest combo in my opinon.

What was nerfed: afflictions can no longer be applied in an AoE by Blast/Spirit Lance/Blights. I tested them all today with a rogue's strikes, some monk abiliies and Mule Kick etc. - and they all only affect the initial target now.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 4

Combusting wounds doesn't feel nearly as worthwhile as it did in the previous game -- the duration is very, very short compared to other spells.

Do you mean the actual spell duration of Combusting Wounds or the DoT it applies on each hit?

Combusting wounds doesn't feel nearly as worthwhile as it did in the previous game -- the duration is very, very short compared to other spells.

Do you mean the actual spell duration of Combusting Wounds or the DoT it applies on each hit?

Good catch, I think I was reading the listed duration for the dot as the duration of the spell. What *is* the duration of the spell itself then? 

Good catch, I think I was reading the listed duration for the dot as the duration of the spell. What *is* the duration of the spell itself then? 

Combusting wounds is very good atm, dunno what you mention about.

Combusting wounds is very good atm, dunno what you mention about.

He thought it lasted 6 seconds...

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

So I did two quick solo run to Titan and 1, 2 level of Engwithan Dungeon.

1. PoTD run with human Bleakwalker/Devoted dual hatchet max STR, RES. Feels like I'm butchering everything easily, Titan fight need some cheesy to lure titan out of sand blights, other combat is not very impressive as I just killing everything fast with FoD + cleave.

2. Veteran run with pale elf Soulblade/Devoted dual sabre, max STR, Per. Cannot do PoTD run with this set because cannot tank without high level Fighter ability like Unbending. One interesting thing is every kill grants me +10 max focus so after one combat I usually have like 200 max focus, and next combat will start with half of your max focus which should be 90 / 2 = 45, but because of the temporary max focus increase, I got like 90 focus every next combat depends on how many enemies I killed. Also just SA + cleave everybody to death. 

Feels like I'm playing Dynasty Warriors :D

Edited by dunehunter
  • Like 1

I used it today an I think I saw a lot of 20s on the enemies.

Yes, a lot of ability descriptions are not finished. I guess because OBS doesn't want to go through all of them all the time as long as they tweak stuff here and there.

Tested my favorite setup (wizard/monk) again:

- Nalpasca

- Swift Flurry

- Kalakoth's Minor Blights

- Eldritch Aim

- Merciless Gaze

- One Weapon Style

- Dance of Death

- Duality of Mortal Presence - INT (console)

- Pull of Eora (tested with a single class wizard)

Plan: take a drug, activate Dance of Death (wounds start flying in until you have +10 INT), summon Minor Blights, cast Eldritch Aim & Merciless Gaze, pull 5 or 6 (or so) enemies togehter with Pull of Eora, activate Swift Flurry and fire with the Blights: *ratatatatata* all are dead.

Outcome: Still works like a charm. Despite the nerf of Swift Flurry. The Pull of Eora part could be left out because I used dummies which don't move. I just tested how the pull works now and it's much more controlled than in PoE. Yu can combine it with Binding Web to prevent any movement after the pull so that everybody is packed together tightly. You only need that for the one killshot with the Blights - so short duration is irrelevant.

With Spirit Lance it's not really possible to do that on your own (in the beta4) anymore because it lacks ACC and conversion compared to one-handed Minor Blights. But woith a Chanter in the party who can cast Killers it also works (due to 50% hit-to-crit conversion). Maybe also a Shadowflame will help.

It also works with monk/fighter (rod+Blast+Disciplined Strikes) and a monk/chanter (rod+blast+Killers).

Swift Flurry, AoE weapon attacks and high ACC/conversion: Still the strongest combo in my opinon.

What was nerfed: afflictions can no longer be applied in an AoE by Blast/Spirit Lance/Blights. I tested them all today with a rogue's strikes, some monk abiliies and Mule Kick etc. - and they all only affect the initial target now.

A huge problem with blights is that they have terrible PEN so they aren't good at dealing with anything with armor.

So I did two quick solo run to Titan and 1, 2 level of Engwithan Dungeon.

1. PoTD run with human Bleakwalker/Devoted dual hatchet max STR, RES. Feels like I'm butchering everything easily, Titan fight need some cheesy to lure titan out of sand blights, other combat is not very impressive as I just killing everything fast with FoD + cleave.

2. Veteran run with pale elf Soulblade/Devoted dual sabre, max STR, Per. Cannot do PoTD run with this set because cannot tank without high level Fighter ability like Unbending. One interesting thing is every kill grants me +10 max focus so after one combat I usually have like 200 max focus, and next combat will start with half of your max focus which should be 90 / 2 = 45, but because of the temporary max focus increase, I got like 90 focus every next combat depends on how many enemies I killed. Also just SA + cleave everybody to death. 

Feels like I'm playing Dynasty Warriors :D

It's pretty safe to dumb INT on both in this range level as you don't have a whole lot of good timed abilities and cleave aoe seems to be fixed. I've run dual spear pala/sb on PoTD, it was pretty easy with some cornercamping and alchemy/potions. Shouldn't be much different for figter/sb.

And yeah, the game is basically dynasty warriors in the current state, top weapon dps builds are pretty ridiculous. CC? What's that?

Edited by MadDemiurg

A huge problem with blights is that they have terrible PEN so they aren't good at dealing with anything with armor.

It actually doesn't matter at all in this case. For two reasons:

1. You have to crit anyways to make this happen and crits do 1.5 times PEN which usually is enough.

2. Since you are triggering a chain reaction that increases exponentially it doesn't matter what tiny damage your crits do. I even dumped MIG completely in one test and it makes no difference. The hits/crits pile up exponentially and everything in range (thus INT is important) is dead after 2-3 seconds. Killed by a staccato of hundrets of hits/crits. It would even kill with 1 dmg hits.

Maybe I'll upload a video. I guess this stuff you have to see with your own eyes. ;)

• Like 1

It actually doesn't matter at all in this case. For two reasons:

1. You have to crit anyways to make this happen and crits do 1.5 times PEN which usually is enough.

2. Since you are triggering a chain reaction that increases exponentially it doesn't matter what tiny damage your crits do. I even dumped MIG completely in one test and it makes no difference. The hits/crits pile up exponentially and everything in range (thus INT is important) is dead after 2-3 seconds. Killed by a staccato of hundrets of hits/crits. It would even kill with 1 dmg hits.

Maybe I'll upload a video. I guess this stuff you have to see with your own eyes. ;)

Swift flurry procs blights on aoe attacks :)? This will get fixed eventually.

Nah, I don't think it's because of that. 50% chance to trigger an extra attack was bit too strong on high crit builds as is (Nerfing evoker to just 15% was pretty weird tho).

Potentially infinite chain procing is obviously broken though, on super high hp/immune targets it could potentially even crash the game depending on how it's coded.

But even currently you'll still need an alternative approach for killing isolated high armor enemies.

Edited by MadDemiurg

Why? 25% damage is enough and Minor Blights has 4 different damage types. Or what do you mean?

Ach, you mean single enemies like Skulking Terror without ads. True.

Edited by Boeroer

Nah, I don't think it's because of that. 50% chance to trigger an extra attack was bit too strong on high crit builds as is (Nerfing evoker to just 15% was pretty weird tho).

Players' feedback: wizard subclasses except Evoker suck.

Dev's reaction: nerfing Evoker.

That's Obsidian for you. I won't be surprised if they, for example, nerf those weapon specs that happen not to suck.

• Like 4

Vancian =/= per rest.