What are you playing right now?

Rosbjerg

So, finished tutorials in Mordheim. I have won 3/4 of them. ... That ... Doesn't bode too well TBH. Still, it was suddenly 2 hours later which is always a good sign and I'm glad the game allowed me to try out all 4 base factions before choosing a warband proper.

I quite enjoy the presentation and the mechanics. I don't enjoy the fact that I have to watch the lengthy attack animations over and over (at least you can speed up enemy turn via an option)

welcome on board (see what i did there? xD), which faction did you enjoyed most? Also I don't feel enemy turns to be too long, maybe I got it changed in settings, but doubt it

Edited by Chilloutman

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

welcome on board (see what i did there? xD)

cff121bb1d1e30a6f3b8f870482fbde8.jpg

which faction did you enjoyed most?

I kinda liked all of them except for the mercenaries, which is why I'm playing the mercenaries. I'm weird that way.

Also I don't feel enemy turns to be too long, maybe I got it changed in settings, but doubt it

It's not about enemy turns per se, it's about combat animations in general - attack animations, end turn animations, everything animates in some way, the animations are quite repetitive and there's no way to skip them (I'd love to be able to just click them away when I'm not in the mood to watch them)

I didn't liked aesthetics of mercs but now they are my favourite band. Sturdy frontline and best archers. Works magic for me. Other band I liked are cultists. Also I am not sure if its in tutorial, but Impressives are quite different for each band, and I really don't like merc one, so I rather take just heroes

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Elder Scrolls Online has kind of turned into this massive world with a number of well done game systems. It is basically Daggerfall restored. I am pretty impressed, it was a solid mmo and now it is an immersive sandbox to play in.

I played it at launch and liked it. Now that the gold edition is out I might give it another try. The visuals looked neat and the world looks vibrant and alive. I just hate those 20 GB patch updates.

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

God damn, Resident Evil HD is supposed to be short, not to take me over 10 hours to finish! I'm having a ton of fun tho, albeit I'm sure the HD remaster did a lot of things to refine the formula, it's quite apparent where did a lot of modern games look for inspiration (not just survival horror, there's a lot of Tomb Raider in here too. Tomb Raider came out after RE, right?)

(Yes, I have still not finished it, altho I assume what I'm doing at this very point is tying up loose ends. Hopefully.)

RE predates Tomb Raider by a few months, not quite enough time to steal major systems I'd think (RE is from March 1996, Tomb Raider was released in October of that year)

I have finished Resident Evil HD Remaster after 11 hours of playtime. It was exceptional.

The reason why I bought and played it was because people kept drawing comparisons between the first and seventh game in the series, and I must say, the comparisons were rather apt. The element I loved about RE7, slowly uncovering a mystery behind mansion you've been trapped in with good deal of tension, is pretty much the same in RE1.

I feel the first game is a lot more inventive and clever in its puzzles than its newer sibling, solving of which I've really enjoyed. In spite of being a 90s PS game, I don't think I've encountered a single BS puzzle - everything was nicely internally consistent and logical, I didn't need to use a walk through even once, all I really ever needed to do was to stop and think for a bit.

Additionally, with 3 endings for 2 characters and mansion getting changed based on which character you're playing, RE1 is significantly more replayable than RE7 with its 2 endings and a single character. Both games had me rather starved for resources so that's excellent, but avoiding zombies in RE1 was a lot easier than mold... Things in 7. It's funny how worried I initially was about limited saves mechanic, just to find that all you really need is to not save all the time and you're fine (and if you do lose progress, due to fantastic level design shared by both games, retracing your steps suddenly becomes matter of minutes once you know what to do)

I still prefer my experience with RE7. I suppose the comparison is a little unfair considering RE7 has about 11 additional years of development experience behind it and immeasurably more powerful machines running it, but technical limitations of the original could be felt - fixed camera being the primary offender, naturally. Additionally, RE7 has managed to construct superb atmosphere and it had some of the best written antagonists of recent memory, none of which was really present in any sensible way in RE1. With that said, both games are quite close on my enjoy-o-meter, which is a brilliant achievement for a spruced up version of a game from 1996 - remastered version of RE1 aged exceptionally well and if, like me, you're one of the 3 people on the planet who has not played it, go and fix that.

So how does RE7 stack up against the Revelations games? I was never into the "modern" RE games, but I quite liked Revelations and your description seems quite appropriate (though afaik there were never multiple endings in the Revelations games).

Elder Scrolls Online has kind of turned into this massive world with a number of well done game systems. It is basically Daggerfall restored. I am pretty impressed, it was a solid mmo and now it is an immersive sandbox to play in.

I played it at launch and liked it. Now that the gold edition is out I might give it another try. The visuals looked neat and the world looks vibrant and alive. I just hate those 20 GB patch updates.

I oddly enough couldn' t really get into it, too much filler inbetween the story content I guess. The mechanics somehow also didn't click for me.

Since we're on the topic of MMOs, I've dusted off my Guild Wars 2 thief after what appears to have been two years (juding by how long some things are already on the Auction House, kinda funny to see they just stay there if not sold).

Some things I noticed: Lion's Arch has changed *again*, seems every time I quite & come back something happens to that poor city, they better hope I don' t take another long break anytime soon, because my breaks murder NPCs by the thousands apparently ;)

But more importantly, the fixed my major gripe with the game: the last step in the personal story was a dungeon and I didn' t have anyone to do it with. Now it scales and can be done solo. Though it was still a major PITA, Thieves being squishy as hell combined with ArenaNet's love of spamming movement impairing effects all over (explosions, knockbacks, stuns, you name it) and especially the tendency to chain them (Think you just got up from that knockback? Hers' s a stun, and here, another knockback, and here a stun. Oh, you died. How sad.)

I think what I like about the game is, despite how cliche some factions are is how alive the world is and how much stuff there is to do. It' s something I always like about EverQuest 2, just find something obscure (less of that in GW2 though, in EQ2 there were literally quests 98% of the community had forgotten about) to do and chasing that goal all over the world is just fun. And if you get tired of that you can just tag along with a group massacring (or getting massacred by) world bosses, running world evens or w/e. Or you can just go around mining ore, whatever.

The inclusion of "Mastery" seems like a step in the good direction, away from the typical leveling threadmill, though I don't have that much experience with it yet (just unlocked it yesterday).

I reminds me a bit of EverQuest 2's AA (Alternate Advancement) system, which was just genius and something I'd love to see more often.

Basically there are two types of XP in EQ2: "normal" leveling XP, that will gain you levels (duh), which unlocks new abilities etc. and then there is AA XP which will gain you AA points (basically skill points). And there was a slider to specify how much XP should go each way (once you hit max level any new XP is converted to AA XP). The idea here is that this gave you a few options, you could either go mental and level lika a rocket (100% of XP going to levelling), but end up being useless as hell at max level because you'd have almost no talent points to spend or level slow as hell but be a walking powerhouse. Sane try to find a balance between these extremes, of course.

There's other reasons why leveling slower was often preferable (eg. while you could lock your level to be lower than your actual level you always got less XP, relatively than when you'd do something at the appropriate level iirc)

Edited by marelooke
  • Like 1

RE predates Tomb Raider by a few months, not quite enough time to steal major systems I'd think (RE is from March 1996, Tomb Raider was released in October of that year)

Oh, I see. Now I wonder where did both draw from... Well, stuff like Alone in the Dark comes to mind I 'spose.

So how does RE7 stack up against the Revelations games? I was never into the "modern" RE games, but I quite liked Revelations and your description seems quite appropriate (though afaik there were never multiple endings in the Revelations games).

I didn't enjoy the original Relevations a lot. The 3 RE games I have really enjoyed thus far was 1, 4 and 7. I played a good deal of 5 and thought it was 'eh', Relevations and though it was okay.

As for 7, it's the most old-school modern RE game imaginable (hey, somebody figured out that first person controls are basically tank controls in first person), but... I kinda keep hammering that point over and over. The biggest difference is that 7 is a lot spoopier than the other ones, it's probably the only RE game that I'd find really scary.

I'm yet to play RE7, so can't comment on that, but I never thought RE games were particularly scary. I played RE2 first, around the time it came out, and I always considered it an arcade shooter with weird controls. I never played RE4 though, people keep saying it's the best in the series, maybe that would scare me, but I really think the whole series is too cheesy to be really scary. RE3 was too action-y, RE5 was a straight up coop shooter. oh, and I didn't get to play any of the spin-offs or remake(s), can't comment on those. 

actually, come to think of it, of all the RE titles I got to play, I found Code Veronica (which is the real RE 4 in my opinion, not sure why it never got the number to its title) to be the most atmospheric.

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

When I was younger, of course I loved RE2. It was pretty much exactly what fans of RE1 wanted: More zombies, more guns, more action! Keep in mind, zombie themed games like that were pretty much not existing back then. Damn, I played RE1 so often, I could paint a detailed map of the house out of my memory and speak most of the cheesy dialogue passages 1:1 with my limited english skills.

Years later I realized that RE2 already started the decline of the franchise... The games became more and more about action and guns and shooting monsters. RE3 was even worse regarding that. It's not a bad game, but it's just not what RE "has been" to me. Never played RE4, never played any RE game ever since.

The RE1 remake is awesome. I think they did pretty much everything right. Kinda sucks that the PC / remasted release isn't *that* much improved over it (visually). Still, great to have it finally on PC... no reason to keep that crappy gamecube with that horrible controller any longer.

/Edit: And yeah, RE1 is highly inspired by Alone in the Dark. The whole pre-rendered background thing, the haunted house theme, etc. is just the obvious parts.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I oddly enough couldn' t really get into it, too much filler inbetween the story content I guess. The mechanics somehow also didn't click for me.

The combat mechanics aren't the best, it might be because of that. You will always end up using your abilities more then you use your weapons, that was my experience with the game playing as a Dark Elf Dragon Knight.

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Just saw that they're remaking FFXII.  That's awesome news since it's one of my favorite FF games to play, but having to play it on my old PS2 (I believe that's the system) is a chore.

• Like 1

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

i started civilization V yesterday afternoon... one turn later it was almost morning

• Like 2

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

I wasn't too impressed by what I played of Metro 2033 Redux...but the one change that I really liked, I think, was that they introduced an ammo limit on all the different ammos...which meant that I could play through the game using guns for the first time without my OCD going completely mad about having to "collect all the ammos" while not ever using them. It was weird playing through without using only throwing knives (and the occasional Helsing/crossbow) for the first time.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I wasn't too impressed by what I played of Metro 2033 Redux...but the one change that I really liked, I think, was that they introduced an ammo limit on all the different ammos...which meant that I could play through the game using guns for the first time without my OCD going completely mad about having to "collect all the ammos" while not ever using them. It was weird playing through without using only throwing knives (and the occasional Helsing/crossbow) for the first time.

Did you play it the proper way, Ranger Mode?

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

In 2033, or in Redux? ...I guess it doesn't matter, since the answer is the same: yes. Not that it really made a difference for me, since I never used bullets anyways.

Although, funnily, 2033 is virtually unplayable if you play on the "easier" difficulties: like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. (also a Ukrainian dev, an odd coincidence), 4A's idea of "easier" difficulty was to make everything take much more damage to kill, player and enemies included. If you're playing the game for the first time and you decide to play on easy, you're probably going to quit, because the game is just going to feel absolutely stupid with how long battles will take because of how much damage everyone absorbs. Switch it up to the hardest, and hey, what do you know, the game suddenly actually feels like a competent shooter...but you won't realize that the harder difficulties will make things better in that regard your first playthrough. Sure, you only die from like 2 bullets, but so do enemies, and the game's stealth system is so forgiving that you should have the drop on most enemies, so really, playing on the hardest difficulty is probably easier (and certainly more fun) than playing on the easiest.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

Also, not having to stealth kill the Nazis after you exit to the surface after saving that stupid kid (...who has an absolutely terrifying voice in Redux, by the way - they got rid of the 2033 actual child voice acting and replaced it with some Dragon Ball Z-style woman-tries-to-sound-like-a-male-prepubescent-child-but-fails-horrifyingly-badly voice acting instead; sure, the original work was pretty wooden, but at least it didn't make me fear for my life like the new stuff did, yikes) did admittedly make the Redux experience automatically better than 2033 for me. Trying to stealth kill that big group of Nazis is seriously ridiculously hard, and probably takes the most work (...and luck) out of anything else in the game. Do not recommend. Of course I played through wanting to use only throwing knives while also wanting to (stealth) kill everyone I meet, because I'm a masochistic retard...

Edited by Bartimaeus

Back on D3. Doing the same thing over and over for crap rewards hoping one time it'll be something worthwile.

It's like an office job.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Finally farmed enough reputation in Man O' War: Corsair, that the various human factions are no longer hostile. Bretonnia, Kislev, Marienburg and the Tilean city states are now neutral towards me and don't really care. The Empire, and Magritta and its colonies are on friendly terms, while Bilbali and its remaining colonies are about to ally with me, seeing in me likely their only hope to drive out the High and Dark Elves, and retake their lost cities. Makes sense - what do you do when you have an Elf infestation? throw a Big Friendly Chaos Lord of Khorne at them.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).